FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Disabled (deaf) cat

Idoru
Hi!

We just got a kitten back, he's born here, but have been living at the buyer's for three months.
That didn't work out, so ofcourse we brought him home. He's a real beauty, six months
of age, white with blue eyes and deaf. We also have five other cat's, but no one with this
problem. We seldom notice it, except in a few areas, and all is working out fine, but
knowledge is never wrong. So, do any of you have experience of this sort of thing?
A few hint's on things to look for, or just some insight? Let me know, and also, I might
be of help to others.

(The cat in my avatar is the proud father, by the way.)
bloodeath
Deaf cat, thats not good, i hope you dont let it out side, if you did, i bet it has an increased chance of being picked up by those damn crows, if that would happen, well lets not get into that. . . But other than that i dont have any tips or hints or anything... just keep an eye on it alot of the time. . . Shocked
Idoru
None of the ones here is let outside. We're planning on building a fenced yard in the spring,
but there will be roof all the way, so encounters will not be a problem. Not only would the
crows bother him in that case, but other cats aswell. Propably a short story, if that would
happen.

The cats we already have had three months to forget him, so there are some squirmishes.
Nothing serious, but enough to see that when he plays he doesn't hear if the others say
no, or tell him that it hurts, so it can get a bit rougher then it had to. But, like I said,
not so bad that we and them can't handle it. Only had him here two weeks, so it's quite normal. Wink

Lot of white cats with blue eyes are deaf. With a white mother or father, the statistics say
that 20% of the kittens will be deaf. It has something to do with the genes, not totally sure of what,
but it's almost from birth, so they know of nothing else. A bit comforting, I'd say, actually even a
positive thing at times. Wink
thealpha
deaf cats?
Idoru
thealpha wrote:
deaf cats?

Yup, but singular, dear cat. As in not hearing Wink
Just checking here to see if anyone has info to trade on the subject, as you see. Shocked
Daisie
I dont know if you knew (but i guess you do now) that most white cats are deaf? It's very common.
But I didnt know about the blue eyes bit. i always dreamed of a blue eyed cat ! sooo cool...
And Tortoishell cat (tri color one) are alway female.

Good luck with kitty, with a bit of extra attention I m sure he will be fine, at least he still got is sens of smell (to find the way home).
Shewolf
We had a cat once, who become deaf while aging. She was not born that way, so she "remembered" the sounds event hough she could not hear them.
As long as we where aware of the problem, and used movements to communicate with her, there where barely any problems. So, with some work and a lot of care I think your kitty will be fine. you just have to learn her the ways of living, slightly different than you would have done in a "normal" case.
HoboPelican
I have heard that most white cats are NOT deaf. There is a relationship, but it is not that prevalant.

Link here about deafness in cats.
http://www.ozpets.com.au/cats/articles/CC10027.shtml

Your cat will be fine. Just try not to sneak up on it too much. Wink
Idoru
HoboPelican wrote:
Your cat will be fine. Just try not to sneak up on it too much. Wink

lol, it's him sneaking up on the others Smile

Nice site, will check it out. Thx. And I can only agree. Amongst the kids here last summer, with a white father, the percentage was kept to the number. Two out of five deaf, both blue-eyed. One with yellow eyes, one hearing with blue eyes, and one, just like his father, odd-eyed. They're wonderful creatures. Only thing, as I think I've mentioned, is that he doesn't hear when the other cat's tell him it's enough. They make sounds to put down their fot, but since he doesn't hear it it's just play, play play Laughing
Rico
From my experience with pets with disabilities tend to cope very well as long as they are sheltered properly get nutrition and attention. I don’t think deafness is as bad as say blindness, and I’ve heard of more than one blind cat that was doing very well (as long as they’re kept in a controlled environment.) All of the best with you deaf cat (and all the others), but you should allow you cats outside a little.
Idoru
Rico wrote:
...as they are sheltered properly get nutrition and attention... (as long as they’re kept in a controlled environment.) but you should allow you cats outside a little.

Thx =)
It's working very well. We think the deafness isn't 100%, but even if it is he's coping very well. A bit contradictive, the controlled enviroment and outside. That's why we keep them indoors. They're not used to the outside-world, and would not manage well. Especialliy the one with hearing-probs, since he would be totally unaware of potential dangers.
But, I do agree that they should get in touch with the wonders outside, but still in a controlled enviroment and without a leach, so we are going to build a little fenced in yard for them when spring arrives.
silentdae
I'm glad you took him in. I just got a cat that i believe is cross-eyed or slightly blind. We don't let her outside because we're not supposed to have pets anyways Smile. Plus, she's declawed unfortunately (i think it's horrible). Anyways, i'm glad he's got a home.
varon
how's your cat now? i found this on the web, not sure if it helps -- http://demented-pixie.com/pearlie_the_psychic_kitty/deaf_cat.html

and i applaud you for choosing to nurture a sick animal. Smile
Idoru
silentdae wrote:
I'm glad you took him in. I just got a cat that i believe is cross-eyed or slightly blind. We don't let her outside because we're not supposed to have pets anyways Smile. Plus, she's declawed unfortunately (i think it's horrible). Anyways, i'm glad he's got a home.

Ouch. It hurts to hear declawed. Good she's got someone with the heart at the right
place to look after her. =)

I had a friend who had a blind cat. Lot's of work, but amazing. She didn't refurniture,
for the cat knew all of the lay-out in the apartement. Not around anymore, but
I think she became 14-15 years, and had a full, loving life Smile

Our deaf little guy is in his prime Smile Just got castrated, and enjoys life a lot. We've
agreed to take care of a little guy for a while here who loves to play with him, so it feels great.
All the other cats love him, and he doesn't mind that it can be rough some times. Smile
Idoru
varon wrote:
how's your cat now? i found this on the web, not sure if it helps -- http://demented-pixie.com/pearlie_the_psychic_kitty/deaf_cat.html

and i applaud you for choosing to nurture a sick animal. Smile

Nice web-page! Smile
Very personal, and made me smile a number of times. Nice to share the experience
with someone. Exaclly what I was looking for when starting this thread.
I don't know if it's you who's behind that web-page, but I can fill in a blank.
The percentage of white blue-eyed cats that are dear is 40%. We also house a
white blue-eyed girl (half-sister) that hear, and an odd-eyed fully hearing giant (the father, in my avatar).
Out of our kittens the percentage was exact. 40% deaf, but then again,
it's only a statistic. Smile

Anyhow, thx for the link, and Isor (that's his name) also send's his thx. Smile
thealpha
oh~ hope he will get well as soon as possible
Idoru
thealpha wrote:
oh~ hope he will get well as soon as possible

Uh...? A bit sleepy, are you? Deafness isn't a disease, it's a defect wich doesn't get better.
Just thought I'd clear things out for you. Wink Laughing