FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Recommend a foreign song

ainieas
Recommend a song in any other language other than english. Possibly a song in your mother-tongue. I believe music has no barriers and nothing proves it more than listening to a song whose lyrics you don't understand yet that can't stop you from swaying with the tune.

I recommend Peterpan's Tak Bisakah. An eternal favourite song of mine with amazing lyrics.
djsamsung
"Peterpan - Ada apa denganmu", "OAG - AkuStatik" and "Dewa - Satu"

Very Happy Indonesian and Malaysian songs...not the best, but these one's quite nice.
vanille
GENRE: ROCK

Japanese Songs
Saku by Dir en Grey
Agitated Screams of Maggots by Dir en Grey <3
Mad Sky by Pierrot
Yuuyami Suicide by Pierrot
Velvet by Alice Nine
the WORLD by Nightmare

Filipino Songs
Daliri by Kwan(sp?)
Dekada by Dicta License
Ang Ating Araw by Dicta License
Artelis
Check out Satyam Shivam Sundaram by Thievery Corporation. American producers, Indian singer. It's in Hindi. I however do not speak Hindi, haha. I speak a bit of Tamil though (South Indian).
tony
hmm..lets see...i am going to have to go w/ every sigur ros song ever written.
violetgnu
"Dia" and "Lo Dudo" by Jumbo!
I've never heard any other Mexican rock band, but they were on a Flash animation by Vinnie, and the song was pretty damn good.
ainieas
If anyone knows Burmese I can recommend some amazing songs but unfortunately I don't read or understand a word of Burmese so I can't name any Burmese songs.

Otherwise I'd like to recommend songs by Mami Varte. She's one of my favourites.
rightclickscott
I've really grown accustomed to some J-Rock, even though it is not my favorite form of rock. However, there is a great band that did entire FLCL soundtrack named The Pillows, and since I don't feel like linking to them, just search for their MySpace.

Another Japanese genre that I thoroughly enjoy is Nintendo Jazz, creating Jazz tunes using 8-bit sounds and Japanese lyrics. This was perfected by YMCK, which I will link to, here.
Quiviro
Now I am listening "Avalancha" by Héroes del Silencio. They were a great band at 90's. One of the most famous bands in Spain.
legion
too easy ... Negură Bunget - Ţesarul De Lumini... it has about 13 min but it worths Twisted Evil
scimitarmoon
Russian: Я Пою/Ya Poyu (I Sing) by Alla Pugacheva and Robot by Tatu

Japanese: Inspire by Ayumi Hamasaki and either Birdcage or Last Song by Gackt

I don't really have any music that isn't in English, Russian, or Japanese that isn't also from a musical...
Shewolf
Tunes like Sjĺaren and Sjĺ Attende by Gĺte are totally amazing. Both are in Norwegian.
TomS
"Die Sehnsucht" by Großmann und Spranger

Very good german trance song
shrinkwrap
"Tunak Tunak Tun" by Daler Mendhi is pure crack. I don't understand it, though.

I do understand a lot of Japanese... so I reccomend anything by Morning Musume because they're so fun.
ORVAL
For Metallica lovers and others, try Ramstein, title Amerika ( german with some english) very good, and somehow funny.
Quiviro
ORVAL wrote:
For Metallica lovers and others, try Ramstein, title Amerika ( german with some english) very good, and somehow funny.
I think "Mein Teil", from Rammstein is funnier (look for its lyrics' translation)
ddukki
I really only know Korean Songs:

Group : Song

Epik High : PyeongHwaUi Nal (Day of Peace)
Park HyoShin : ChinGuRaNeun Geon (The Thing About Friends)
Bi(Rain) : I Do
Fly To The Sky : Sea of Love
Fly To The Sky : Gravity
Jinusean : How Deep Is Your Love (Remix)
BladeRunner
The Girl from Ipanema....can be sung in English but sounds tres cool in French.

Also...Je t'aime. Both cheeky little numbers.

If you are in to heavier stuff, try some Ramstein. German never sounded so good.
Jakob [JaWGames]
Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan by Nightwish - she sings it at finnish and I do actually like it very much.
Blu_Spykz
The Turkish "Prince Of Pop" - Tarkan (Tevetoğlu) singing Şımarık - (Re-sung by Holly Valance as "Kiss Kiss")
Chalchihuitlicue
"Roman Hikou" by Psycho le Cému is a really catchy one (it's Japanese).
The Phoenix
I'd suggest Henna by Cameron featuring Khalid.
It's arabic, i think but who cares..the song's kool.
mattchun
I'm Chinese, actrually, English IS a foreign language for me.
If you really want a song in a non-English language, I'll say it's "Yue Liang Dai Biao Wo De Xin" in Chinese.
gerontius
ainieas wrote:
Recommend a song in any other language other than english.

Mostar Sevdah Reunion "A secret gate"

that's bosnian sevdah music, and although the album name is in english, all the songs are sung in bosnian language... beautiful asnd very emotional music with great musicians... especially the accordion player
Seiji
Seo Taiji - Heffy End
Seo Taiji- F.M. Business (About the corrupt music business)
Moon Hee Jun - Happy Ending

All those songs are korean.
jasmine
Japanese song. Feel your breeze by V6.

A very 'feel good song'. Very good tune and uplifting atmosphrere. Its a good song to listen to when you are feeling down. Very Happy
studsstudio
I very much like to listen to paolo conte.

I don't find him a good singer, but he giver something to music that makes you floating away from the pulling and pushing that you might experience in this world. It sets your mind free.
emjawa
La Camisa Negra - Juanes. SO awesome.

I unfortunately don't speak Spanish.

Slightly more like home, Jerusalem of Gold is a beautiful song, or Yerushalayim shel Zahav, if you prefer.
ORVAL
studsstudio wrote:

I don't find him a good singer, but he giver something to music that makes you floating away from the pulling and pushing that you might experience in this world. It sets your mind free.

if you like paolo conte you could appreciate Tom Waits. He sings Blues & jazz with a smoky voice. Try : Invitation to the Blues, or Waltzing Mathilda
studsstudio
ORVAL wrote:
studsstudio wrote:

if you like paolo conte you could appreciate Tom Waits. He sings Blues & jazz with a smoky voice. Try : Invitation to the Blues, or Waltzing Mathilda

That's true indeed. Though Tom Waits's voice is a little sharper and his songs a little more 'edgy'. Thanks! I never made the connection between those artists. Always nice to think about music like that.
jasmine
First Love by Utada Hikaru.

Very heartwarming. *heart heart heart*
Srs2388
rammstien du hast
rammstein feuer frei

Rammstein is the coolest German rock band.
shwetanshu
u can listen to any song od Rang De Basanti or Salaam-e-ishq's salaam-e-ishq
achene
I love listening to flamenco. They sing in spanish (most flamenco artists at least). There is also some great flamenco guitarists so theres also a lot of instrumental songs. The music is indeed very emotional and very relaxing (or some of it is).

- Achene
paquerat
I, uh, don't listen to music in my mother tongue, mostly because there are two genres: pop, and old people music. XD

However, I would like to pimp a few bands here:

Slot:
Based in Russia, they're a self-described "Rock Electro HipHop Russian Band". That can definitely be contested, but whatever. They have a myspace here, and they're featured on last.fm here if anyone's interested in checking them out.

Asian Kung Fu Generation:
Ajikan's probably best-known for their anime theme songs: the second opening of Naruto, "Haruka Kanata" and the fourth opening of Fullmetal Alchemst, "Rewrite." Their other works are less mainstream, but quickly gaining in popularity--the band won an award for Best New Artist in 2004, and many of their singles have done well on the charts.

Shakira:
I really hope I don't have to explain here. But her older music is just amazing . I don't know how her vocal range is possible. X3
missdixy
You should totally check out the songs "Dame el Poder" and "Frijolero" by Molotov. The first one is mostly all spanish, but the second one is kind of spanish with a bit of english in it.
welshsteve
Joe le taxi - Vanessa Paradise HAHA
ludio_
in german, anything by rammstein

in punjabi (i think) have a listen to desiradio (an internet radio station: there are several with the same name but the music is similar on all of them)

in french (canadian) la bottine souriente

it all depends on my mood

also I like plainchant (in latin)
Obake
Trying to recommend a few songs/artists who haven't already been mentioned. Hm...

Japanese:

Passion, by Utada Hikaru: One of the best pieces of game music I've ever heard (mind out, I'm not a fanatical gamer), created for the Japanese opening of Kingdom Hearts II. This really shows off what Utada is capable of musically, something she doesn't always stretch herself to do. The lyrics are nice enough if you can get a translation, but the real joy of the song is in the rhythm and sound of it, rather than the direct meaning.

If you've heard the English version of this song (Sanctuary) and didn't like it, Passion is still worth listening to. Sanctuary does some odd things to the rhythm of the song, making it seem to stretch out, and Utada sounds a little flat singing the English lyrics. It's no comparison to Passion.

Kasumi Yuku Sorase ni Shite (I Turn my Back on the Misty Sky), by Janne Da Arc: I love this song; it's wonderfully upbeat and has a great, tight rhythm. Yasu makes good use of his vocal range, too.

Icelandic:

Hoppipolla, by Sigur Ros: Sigur Ros do a very interesting, distinctive style of music, of which Hoppipolla is a good example. Dreamy and nostalgic.

Chinese:

Cold War, by Faye Wong: This is Faye Wong's exquisite Chinese cover version of Tori Amos's Silent All These Years. It stands as a separate song because the lyrics, the meaning of it, are completely different in translation.

French:

Milord, by Edith Piaf: Edith Piaf's trademark song, of course, is La Vie En Rose--but this tune, released much later, makes just as good use of her voice, switching easily between the slow, almost ominous, tone of the verses and the light cabaret style of the chorus.
ne2 Luka
ainieas wrote:
Recommend a song in any other language other than english. Possibly a song in your mother-tongue. I believe music has no barriers and nothing proves it more than listening to a song whose lyrics you don't understand yet that can't stop you from swaying with the tune.

I recommend Peterpan's Tak Bisakah. An eternal favourite song of mine with amazing lyrics.

I know a great french group that goes by the name: "Autour de Lucie". In my opinion it's great. Also if you would like some Balcan music you could listen some of "Goran Bregovic". Give it a try if you can get the records, it'll be worthville.
pudovkin
"Metamusica", from the brazilian band Pedra Branca.
And their whole album, but you can start with that one. Wink
calicamper
"Suavamente" by Elvis Crespo is a great song to Salsa dance to

and

"Hoy es Adios" by Carlos Santana a great blues song with one of the best guitarists alive.
raponerecords
pappu yaar by junoon
its in urdu
Yanyan
I recommend Passion and Hikari both by Hikaru. They also come in english versions:

Passion - Sanctuary
Hikari - Simple and Clean.

Both the english and japanese versions are still sung by Hikaru. Oh and for Kingdom Hearts fans you'll recognize these.
Helios
Band: Windir
Album: Arntor

Was a great band Smile
qebab
Nabohuset by Postgirobygget. Norwegian band, it is obvious that you wouldn't understand much of the lyrics without being a native, but the ambience in it i so nice... I don't think anyone could dislike it. I don't know what genre I would place it in, maybe ambient rock (if that is a genre)?
Seiji
jasmine wrote:
First Love by Utada Hikaru.

Very heartwarming. *heart heart heart*

Thats a good song I also like Can you keep a Secret? By Utada.
hsadmin
Anything by Rammstein is good.

Try Engel by Rammstein.. I also like Du Hast..
pudovkin
"Zomba de la Candelaria", from Orquesta Típica Fernández Fierro.
An argentinean band whom plays a new kind of tango. They look like hippies. And sounds EXCELENT.
Highly recommended.
Chelissamow
Hmm... I'd recommend Art-School's song, Charlotte. Wonderful song! (They're a Japanese rock band)

Also, I'd recommend Fa Ru Xie by Jay Chou (Taiwanese male singer).
cloudship
There's a japanse songs I want to recommend, which is the theme song of a famous PS2 game "Final Fantasy X".

The name of this song is "素敌だね", which in japanese means a dream lake.
There are still MTV made for that songs, touching and moving at the first ear for me.

Hope you like it:>
cloudship
Aya, almost forgotten, if you want also some different style of songs, try this chinese song, "Qinghai-Tibet Platean" by Na Li.

The pure and local voice is so touching that seems thrusting deep into the heart, just like the Himalayas Mountains and Everest Peak.

You might find many versions, such as Hong Han, However, Lina gave the best version ever heard, believed by most people.
Esperanto
tony wrote:
hmm..lets see...i am going to have to go w/ every sigur ros song ever written.

Yes indeed! I would especially recommend a few:

(ALBUM - TITLE)

Agaetis Byrjun - Staralfur
Agaetis Byrjun - Hjarto Hamast (bamm bamm bamm)
Agaetis Byrjun - Olsen Olsen
( ) - Vaka
( ) - Njosnavelin
( ) - Daulauggio
( ) - Poplauggio
Takk... - Glosoli
Takk... - Hoppipola
Takk... - Saeglopur

One of my favorites is called Hoppipola - or in English "Jumping in Puddles." The string section is beautiful and it really sends me somewhere special... I get this uplifting, almost out-of-body experience whenever I listen to Sigur Ros. It is amazing, and I hope that anyone else who listens also experiences it.