FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Shutdown problem

heridlia
My friend's PC has a problem.

In Shutdown process (in Windows 98 Second Edition), always message :

"A fatal exception has occurred at 0028:C023A9DB in VXD
BIOSXLAT(04) + 000001DF. The current application will be terminated.

I've checked virus with Antivir & NOD32. No virus found.

In Windows XP Prof, shutdown process smoothly.

Operating System :
Dual Boot : 1) Windows XP Profesional 2) Windows 98 Second Edition.

I have ever found an information from microsoft about disable fast shutdown, but it could not help.

Help, please. Thanks a lot.
xodia
could be your mobo drivers acting up with 98, go to the microsoft update, in 98 and search for any updated drivers... sounds so far like you have done some updates but they need the new drivers for it to work properly... i am not sure but try that... also if you could give me a spec list of your comp then i could help more... email it to me @ cvarty2005@msn.com

sorry i cant be of more help
otiscom
You mention Win98 and XP, does this mean you have a dual boot setup?
heridlia
Specification Of PC :
- Motherboard (I don't know, but on body of mobo, there is text "INTEL DESKTOP BOARD TYPE D865GVHZ")
- Harddrive, Maxtor 40GB
- VGA & Sound ONBOARD
- RAM : 128 MB
- Operating System : Dual Boot (Windows XP Profesional and Windows 98 SE).

I have used shutdown patched for Windows 98SE from Microsoft but it could not help.
tommyjordache
Set your bios to standard defaults first. Then restart & try again.
cheers
tom
Guyon
Two other things that you might want to look at. If memory goes bad that can happen. Or he he has two different speeds or even manufacturers.

Anther thing many people over look is if he put in a new graphics card. Wats are no long the thing to check but how many volts are out on the 12 volt Vrail. I have seen much bigger watt power supplies with less vpoits on the vrail. That will for sure shut your machine down.
billgertz
Guyon wrote:
Two other things that you might want to look at. If memory goes bad that can happen. Or he he has two different speeds or even manufacturers.

I dont think so, the computer is working well with Windows XP. the only thing possible is maybe that drivers that the windows 98 using is corrupted or may not be full compatible with the hardwares that the computer have. My advise is to try to reinstall the drivers of your devices or eliminate windows 98 from the hardrive. I believe microsoft stopped supporting windows 98 and Windows Me. Its gonna be hard for you to get support.

see this: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/support/endofsupport.mspx