FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows Movie playing in Paint??

Sparda
Ok, I started playing a movie I have and I took a screen shot of it. I opened Paint and Pasted the screen shot in paint. I was in Paint and the move was playing... The movie was playing inside of Paint... I turned off the Movie, and the movie stoped in Paint. Also I had my documents open and I had my screen shot pic in it previewed. I moved it over the movie playing and the movie was playing on my picture file. It was like the file was transparent.

What caused this to happen?
hack_man_
Woah! Cool? So you pasted it in Paint and the movie was still playing? Was is just a cache problem? Like you sometimes get bits of other windows appearing on top and others in the background showing all white, etc. Was it that? Had the PC frozen, causing that? It isn't working for me...
billgertz
its cool man! hehehe. hmm.. this is not suppose to happen. what is the specs of your PC? this issue is probably related to your processor. The amount of resource that your computer is handling, is maybe to much to be processed by the processor. when you opened paint and pasted the screenshot, the processor might have streamed the video to the active application running which is the paint. remember playing a video requires more resources that running other application.

it doesnt do it evertime for sure. my suggestion is you might want to try doing it on a faster PC. or maybe you want to upgrade your processor or the memory I hope that would help.
Sparda
Thanks. I have a good processor, but I always do have many processes running for some reason. Most of them are the schost thing or whatever you call it.
billgertz
oh.. okay.. maybe that's the problem. try to disable some processes on your computer. you can try msconfig then uncheck some of those things that you dont need. or maybe your computer needs Disk defragmenter. that would definitely help.
Sparda
I never knew about this msconfig. How does it work? Which tab do I go under and what do I do there? Is it the services tab?
billgertz
You can find the full information here:

Microsoft
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310560

netsquirre
http://www.netsquirrel.com/msconfig/
roninmedia
I remember on some versions of codecs, that problem occurs with using print screen to capture the image (especially with container files such as avi with divx and 3ivx).
Sparda
Thanks for the information everyone. I will try to stay low on the processes.
tomahawk19
I had this problem a while back, I just had to get a program that would allow me to screen shot a video, because the normal screen shot doesn't like to work while watching any movie...
ronald.helpdesk
I've heard, that this thing occurs mostly over shared video memory motherboards, ppl say that it's some kind of memory allocation issue, but anyway, you could place it like a patent pending new vídeo player, just immagine the possibilities, Paint playing video files... wow, what an interface... hehehehehe just kidding,
techquest
Wooh! Lots of posts all related to the hardware. Lets view it in a different way. When you take a screen shot of a movie in WMP or someother player and paste it in Paint what you achieve is a special picture which acts as a layer for playing movies. Just try opening a movie in WMP and open a lot of other windows on it. Then open the special picture. You can see the Movie playing in the picture. Really Cool!
Why not use this special picture in Power Point? Use this as the background in a slide and add whatever effects you want on the slide. Now open the Movie and then the Power Point show. You can see the movie with all your effects. Give it a try.
oke139
Rofl , everyones IDIOT here? It happens to everybody, its not a processor issue, its not any issue, its the way it was designed, search google. Just disable hardware acceleration of your graphics card and everything is fixed. You can do it too, just play a movie in any video player and press Print Screen button on your keyboard, then go to MSpaint and paste it, while movie is still running.
FunDa
Sparda wrote:
Ok, I started playing a movie I have and I took a screen shot of it. I opened Paint and Pasted the screen shot in paint. I was in Paint and the move was playing... The movie was playing inside of Paint... I turned off the Movie, and the movie stoped in Paint. Also I had my documents open and I had my screen shot pic in it previewed. I moved it over the movie playing and the movie was playing on my picture file. It was like the file was transparent.

What caused this to happen?

Hold your horses !!! This happens to everyone.
oke139 is absolutely right.

When a video is playing with hardware acceleration, it cannot be screen-captured with pront screen.

To do a screenshot of a video, you have to use the option from within the video player itself.

This is because the video is being rendered by the graphics card(or motherboard's graphics handling part for those who don't have a graphics card). That part of the graphics display cannot be captured in a screenshot and if you paste that screen shot, the transparent area left for the video output will show the part of the video playing there.

Try it with another Printscreen and then drag & move the paint window around.
Or drag the video playing window around.

Took me a bit of time before I could figured out how to take a screencapture of a movie that was playing.
pll
Last time I tried to do that it did the same thing (and in photoshop too) but I was unable to copy my screenshot.
FunDa
pll wrote:
Last time I tried to do that it did the same thing (and in photoshop too) but I was unable to copy my screenshot.

Here are a few ways to take a screenshot of a video.

In Windows Media Player:

* Instead of the Print Screen Method – try pressing “CTRL+I”. This pops up a save as window after capturing the screenshot. Save the file anywhere you want. This is the easiest way.

* After you open Window Media Player. Go to Tools | Options | Performance Tab. You will see a picture similar to the first image above. Reduce the “Video acceleration” from the default Full to None, click ok and then close down media player. Next open the file you want to take a still using the Print Screen method – from press ALT and the PrintScrn key to copy an image of media player to the clipboard.

OR

On the other hand, if you want to do it the hard way
1) Open Window Media Player
2) Then go to Tools | Options
3) In Options, select the Performance Tab
4) Way below you click on the Advanced Button
5) Uncheck “Use Overlays’
6) Click Ok
7) And you are ready.
Cool Now run your movie in any size or screen resolution. Use the standard ‘Print Screen Key’ and paste in Paint or Photoshop.

In VLC
To take a snapshot of the video displayed by VLC, you just need to press the pre-defined snapshot hotkey:
Windows / Linux / Unix: Ctrl+Alt+S
Mac OS X: Command+Alt+s
To change it, go to Preferences -> Interface -> Hotkeys settings, check Advanced options, and set Take video snapshot.
You can also take a snaphot via the menu Video -> Snapshot.
To change the snapshot format or directory, go to Preferences -> Video.

If you haven't changed the snapshot directory in your preferences, your screenshots should go to:
Windows: My Documents\My Pictures\
Linux / Unix: $(HOME)/.vlc/
Mac OS X: Desktop/
To change it, go to Preferences -> Video -> Video snapshot directory.