FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Notepad2 Help.

Diablosblizz
Hey, I just got NotePad 2 a few days ago. I wanted to reinstall it because it was there sitting on my desktop.

So, I deleted it, and downloaded the ZIP, and the put it into C:\Program Files\Notepad2..

I ran the Reg Files.. But now when I try to edit something I tell it to edit in Notepad2, but it opens in regular notepad.

I was wondering if anybody had this experiance before.

Thanks.
peaceninja
I use notepad2 quite frequently, and I had sort of the same problem on my work computer but I was coming at it from another angle.

Can you clarify what you are doing with the reg files? I don't even use the reg files, I just run the Notepad2.exe file, the install is not required. I have all xml and txt files associated with Notepad2 and not Notepad (In File Explorer, go to Tools -> Folder Options -> File Types tab -> scroll for TXT and see what TXT files are associated with).

The specific problem I had was that I tried to replace notepad.exe with notepad2.exe in the system32 folder, but Windows File Recovery kept casually undoing what I did so I had to play with some dll folder to finally trick Windows. But I'm sure this is not the same problem you are having!
vinx_18
Are you talking about notepad ++ ? If not, better download it.. It is a lot better Smile
peaceninja
no its another application called notepad2. i don't like notepad++ because it's not as lightweight as notepad2...i like to have my apps on my usb drive Very Happy
varun_dodla
Hi has anyone around tried TextPad . It is a superior text editor and can be used with loads of file types by adding their respective syntax files . It has very good features like compiling and executing java programs too and u can open multiple files (of multiple type) at a time.
parokya
If you are running XP, then it should be expected that the system would reject a Notepad installation that would change the native Windows notepad. I suggest that you don't mess with it unless you know what you are doing. Check out this page: http://www.notepad-replacements.com/index.html
ftasyo
varun_dodla wrote:
Hi has anyone around tried TextPad . It is a superior text editor and can be used with loads of file types by adding their respective syntax files . It has very good features like compiling and executing java programs too and u can open multiple files (of multiple type) at a time.

I don't know about you guys, but RJ Text Edit looks a better alternative.
welshsteve
You need to associate the file extension with Notepad2. Just right click the file, choose "Open With", select Notepad2 and make sure the tick box for "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" is ticked, then click OK.

As Notepad2 is a stand alone EXE file, I believe the Reg file that comes with it, puts an entry in the registry that allows Notepad2 to appear in the "Open with" list, although don't quote me on that. Best was to find out is to go to Flo's freeware website - http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html and see if it gives info on it, or contact the author