FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Free firewalls better than paid ones??!!

ashok
Please Use Quote Tags wrote:
Researchers at David Matousec's matousec.com carried out tests on 21 leading products using 26 assessment programs known as "leak" testers. These simulated a total of 77 test attacks on firewalls, configured using both out-of-the-box and optimal security settings. Each firewall was then awarded points based on its ability to pass each leak test in both modes.

The only two products to achieve a rating of "excellent" turned out to be free-to-use software, the Comodo Personal Firewall v2.3, and the Jetico Personal Firewall v2.0 beta. They scored, respectively, 9,350 and 9,125 points out of a possible total of 9,625, leaving the nearest rivals some way behind.

In third and fourth place were ZoneAlarm Pro 6.5, Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 2007, and both of which are charged for and achieved a "very good" rating.

At the very bottom of the list in 21st place scoring a resounding zero, came Microsoft's own firewall which has been part of PC protection since the company shipped its SP2 security update.

Test results official site: http://www.matousec.com/downloads/windows-personal-firewall-analysis/
Blaster
Thats pretty interesting. But i think that a lot of free programs can be better then paid ones. Its just that paid ones you can do more stuff with them. But that stuff is usually useless stuff. It also depends on your computer and stuff like that.
Arseniy
lol It's better that's why it's free:)
And really, free stuff can be better than paid. Just take a look on FRIHost Smile . Or Kaspersky AntiVirus. I use only free stuff, because it's more reliable than paid.
Srs2388
on my PC computer
I have zone alarm... no problems yet... (better knock on wood) lol
I have used the free stuff too I like it but, I like zone alarm, I don't know a lot about computers. So this program protects from adware,spyware,virus's, and its a firewall... perfect Very Happy
Blaster
I think part of the reason it is soo good is because the money for paid usually goes more towards support then to acutally making the program itself so the program isn't as good as if they just offer support over the internet.
Dark_Tiger
I can't help but note that they failed to test hardware-based firewalls. Now, I'm not an expert, but since most routers nowadays, including the one given away with many major DSL packages, noteably Verizon and Earthlink, wouldn't these firewalls be the most common? Therefore, wouldn't testing them be the most relevant to people?
Donutey
This is making me consider to switch from Mcafee's firewall to something else. (I get it free with my verizon dsl) I've already uninstalled the Mcafee Antivirus and replaced it with AVG after Mcafee kept causing explorer.exe to crash for no reason...
Daniel15
Of course... Free software is always better than paid software (especially Open-source stuff Very Happy)

Quote:
Test results official site: http://www.matousec.com/downloads/windows-personal-firewall-analysis/

Wrong link, that's their downloads page. The results are at http://www.matousec.com/projects/windows-personal-firewall-analysis/leak-tests-results.php

Quote:
I can't help but note that they failed to test hardware-based firewalls.

They're doing leak testing, so they're testing if 'bad' programs can connect outbound. Hardware-based firewalls usually only block inbound stuff (well, technically most aren't hardware based, all the firewalling is done in software using Linux and IPTABLES. Cisco is probably the only brand to make hardware-based routing and firewalling, except it comes with a price)
Blaster
Daniel15 wrote:
Of course... Free software is always better than paid software (especially Open-source stuff Very Happy)

Well vB is a lot better then smf. I know what your going to say to that daniel but its true. But they both are just as affective like i said. They both do the same thing. Its just that one has more features then the other one and your paying for them extra features that you really dont' need.
Captain Fertile
After reading this thread I have installed Komodo on my machine and so far it seem to be working fine. It has no conflicts with my free virus software (AntiVir) and even my P2P software works fine alongside it.

Komodo seems very simply to use although I always wonder what I should do when it brings up warnings like Firefox or WMP etc trying to access the web (automatic updates are switched on I think).

I’ll keep you posted of how it goes.
Daniel15
Yep, I installed Comodo was well, and it looks quite nice Very Happy

Quote:
I always wonder what I should do when it brings up warnings like Firefox or WMP etc trying to access the web

Well, if you know what the program is, say Yes, otherwise, say No Wink.
So, say Yes to FireFox and WMP, and tell it to remember that.

Quote:
Well vB is a lot better then smf.

And vB costs how much? Razz
Captain Fertile
@ Daniel15 - thaks for that suggestion - I hadn't spotted the remember option until you mentioned it.

Komodo does seem to have a very good interface with tons of information and options.
amusic
I have been using kerio firewall for a long time and I like it very much. It's a free version though.
sibbahz
Maybe being free earned them more points. Ive found the free ones to do the job fine, and many home routers have firewalls anyway.
Windows firewall getting 0, that isnt good.
IE and windows and its firewall all seem to be very poor!
Kaisonic
Uh-oh.....

*is only using Windows firewall*

*realizes he's got a router with a built-in firewall*

Phew...but I'm still going to download one of those free programs!
conspiranoia
A few days ago i read from a security expert, it was better to have no firewalls or antivirus, because they make your computer work worse, so getting a solution is much times just the beginning of the problems Smile
Qube
conspiranoia wrote:
A few days ago i read from a security expert, it was better to have no firewalls or antivirus, because they make your computer work worse, so getting a solution is much times just the beginning of the problems Smile

*cough*...
O RLY?
That's not a very good idea, at least imo.
The only reason it'd probably make your comp 'work worse' is if you have almost no RAM.
Either that or the settings are poorly configured.

I've used quite a bit of FW/AV apps out there.
Right now I'm sticking w/ Outpost and NOD32.
Outpost has this thing about pre-defined rules.
So you don't have to configure rules for every app you have.
NOD32's low mem footprint is a plus as well.
They've both done great for me.
My comp is healthy and has been for years.
True these apps cost money, but ya...

PS: A friend told me he was using just Windows FW.
I laughed at him and called him a nub.
Yay.
Jack_Hammer
Blaster wrote:
Thats pretty interesting. But i think that a lot of free programs can be better then paid ones. Its just that paid ones you can do more stuff with them. But that stuff is usually useless stuff. It also depends on your computer and stuff like that.

How many times can you fit 'stuff' into a single sentance?
snowboardalliance
So is commodo better to switch to from zone alarm personal?
icedrakon
I used to believed that since i had the best firewall zonealarm pro i was save until one day....
i saw my antivirus erasing my firewall closing filling up with tons of varius and ever since i dont relay on firewalls i know it can been penetrated .....