FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

My comp is dead noooo i need a new one

roach831
well my trusty comp is on it's way out Sad

give me your thoughts on building a new one, I've been away from the comp stuff for some time so I don't know whats out there.

One thing though I might just want something cheap and simple so that others can use the comp and I won't need to worry about them touching it. On the other hand I'd like to build a machine that can run the programs I need, photoshop, dreamweaver, flash etc..and mayb run some of the newest games Twisted Evil

Let me know what you guys think....build me a new comp!!
PatTheGreat42
The most important part, obviousely, is the case for your computer.

When using your computer, it doesn't matter that it actually works or is able to run something more complicated than Pitfall, but it has to have shiny flashy lights, some blue and green glowey things, be watercooled, and maybe have some fish swimming around in there.

As such, your case should be about 70% of your budget. This may seem a little extreme, but remember - glowing things do not come cheap.

When did I get bad at being funny?
Straevaras
I remember someone telling me once that he based the performance of a computer with Photoshop. He would just add layer after layer after layer until the system ran out of physical memory. That was a programming issue in Photoshop, it didn't care how much RAM is was using. It took what it needed until there was nothing left.

If you want a computer that will just run those, then you could get a decent one for not very much money. But if you want it for end gaming, then you really start to get expensive.

I figure you could go with AMD for a mobo and processor...get a good frontside bus, because that's what will matter the most on your system. For your processor, you'd probably be ok with single core, but if you find a board that will support dual core, go ahead with it. Also, if you go AMD, you'd have to choose between Socket 939 and AM2, since those are currently the best ones (that's what I've been told anyway). I personally would go with AM2, since it's the newest and uses DDR2 RAM.

For RAM, the most I recommend getting is 2GB. Windows won't pick up more than 4GB anyway, and anything more than 2 I personally think is pointless right now, but that's opinion. If you're going for gaming, then getting 2GB of RAM would be best for you. For a graphics card, if you're going to be running games, I recommend getting a PCIe x16 graphics card, a NVIDIA one. But if you're not going to be running high end games, then I would say get a cheaper graphics card.

Oh yea, and don't forget the case. I usually make mine about 60%, not 70% of my budget. Liquid cooling and all. Razz
Donutey
Intel's Core 2 is also a good offering at the moment. However, as always depending on what level of performance you want from your processor, AMD and Intel trade the crown back and forth up through the pricing brackets.
Dragonfly
Intel Duo Core 2 is a must now. Try to buy this one. And the pricing of the parts will depend on the location of your country and more importantly your city. Even in one city pricing can be a little different from one place to the other. Just explore all options before you make your final decision to buy which one suits your budget and need the most.

All the best.
raaeft1
I have an Assembled P4 170 computer;it is sufficient for normal needs but I need two more---one for my myself and one for my daughter.
Are laptops better than desktops? I am unable to decide.Maybe,laptops take less physical space and are convenient to carry but they are expensive in India and there may be charging problems too.
arkebuzer
roach831 wrote:
well my trusty comp is on it's way out Sad

give me your thoughts on building a new one, I've been away from the comp stuff for some time so I don't know whats out there.

One thing though I might just want something cheap and simple so that others can use the comp and I won't need to worry about them touching it. On the other hand I'd like to build a machine that can run the programs I need, photoshop, dreamweaver, flash etc..and mayb run some of the newest games Twisted Evil

Let me know what you guys think....build me a new comp!!

Either you put together a cheap computer that can do basic stuff like photoshop, office, watch movies and play older games OR you can spend a lot more and get a computer that is enough for the latest games. There´s no way you can get a computer that is both very cheap and fast enough for the latest games.
mstreet
Well I am a Mac person and I find them to be the most reliable but if you're into the new games then you'll need the old fashion pc. The newest Mac Pro with the dual core would be my choice.
mathiaus
-moved-
jsaxon2
I bought an E-Machine from Wal-Mart for 500 bucks. It came with a 17" Monitor, AMD 3200+ processor, 512MB Ram 120GB HDD and a DVD+-R/RW drive. It works excellent for what I need and it was cheap so I don't care that my 5 and 6 year olds get on there. As for Photoshop and what not, you may want to pick up an extra 512MB Ram for $50.
orcaz
raaeft1 wrote:

Are laptops better than desktops? I am unable to decide.Maybe,laptops take less physical space and are convenient to carry but they are expensive in India and there may be charging problems too.

The only advantage of laptop is that it is portable. Other than that, it loses out to the desktop in terms of other components, like performance and price. So if you think the main reason you are purchasing the computer is for portability, then go for a laptop.
vm_yap
a computer with amd x2 or intel core 2 duo
atleast 1 gb of ddr2 mems
250 GB and up of sata 2 hdds (good for photoshop and video editing)
500 watts of power supply
a good ventilated casing
a good pci-e VGA
a dvd writer since most use one.
brycearonium
you want new games? photoshop and dreamweaver and all that.... you need the iMac. It's made for you! you have your bootcamp so you can run widnwos on the mac, and play your games, plus the whole os x side for the great design features. plus their powerfull and are justg reat build machines. and their not tooooooo expencive. maybe a little more than a pc, but worht the money. you get a high end product that will last, and it is worht the money. look at the iMac, at least consider it, it's worht it, trust me.
psycosquirrel
Roach, what is your budget and exactly what do you do on your computer? You clearly don't need C2D if you only surf the internet, or more than 1Gb of RAM unless you are doing some hardcore gaming.
bassgs_17
I also reccomend a Core 2 CPU; even with the $180 model you will be able to use your machine comfortably for years to come. Don't go cheap and buy an older netburst architecture processor; you will reget it. As for RAM, go with at least 1 GB of the fastest your motherboard will support, and don't buy less than a 7300 GT or so for your GPU. A decent rig containing the aforementioned parts, etc will run you about $700, including shipping, from newegg. Probably more if you bought a prebuilt system (yuck!)... I've built about twenty or so machines, myself.

-Aquastrike