FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

english grammar question

sonam
Hi,
I am insert new line for destination where I am <?php betwixt ?> but I am not sure is this right or I need write <?php between ?>.
Please, correct me if I am make mistake. Rolling Eyes

Sonam
PatTheGreat42
First off, I'm not quite sure what you're asking here. I don't recognize any between or betwixt type things in PHP.

If it's a PHP question, it needs to go in the PHP section, not general chat.

If it's a weirdly phrased grammer question, ye old American English generally uses "between." "Betwixt" is reserved for poems and witches.
Tex_Arcana
PatTheGreat42 wrote:

If it's a weirdly phrased grammer question, ye old American English generally uses "between." "Betwixt" is reserved for poems and witches.

Nope, not even witches use betwixt, well, maybe the Gardnerians.
sonam
Thanks,

Quote:
If it's a PHP question, it needs to go in the PHP section, not general chat.

he, he it is not php question. I just want to say how I am in PHP code...

... and, he, he, I want to be witch... or poet... or something... Laughing

Sonam
Traveller
"Betwixt" and "between" are, essentially, synonyms, but "betwixt" is now considered archaic by many people, or more useful for other contexts. When describing PHP code, "between" would be better.

Since this was a grammar question, here is another important thing about "between": be sure to use it only when there are only two items in question. When there are more than two, use "among" instead. Americans very often make the mistake of saying something like, "The prize money was divided evenly between Mark, John, and Jim," when it should be "The prize money was divided evenly among Mark, John, and Jim."
Aless
Betwixt is something you'd only hear/see in old literature. No one uses it in common day speech.
sonam
Quote:
Betwixt is something you'd only hear/see in old literature.

Maybe I find this word because I use dictionary published in 1970. Shocked

Sonam
GameFreak
Yea, actually betwixt is an Archaic English word for Between. You'll find it in writings of the 1800s.
Daisie
that reminded me of when i frist came to the uk. To learn english, i bought a french/english dictionnary in a charity shop. Didnt realise that the book had been published in 1930... I couldnt even understand the french words in it Laughing ! Just to show how fast a language evolve and you should alway get the most recent dictionnary...

Now if I encouter betwixt, i ll know what it's all about Wink
Traveller
Daisie wrote:
Just to show how fast a language evolve and you should alway get the most recent dictionnary...

True. My favourite example of that is the English word "nice." Nowadays, it means "pleasant" or "agreeable," but it originally meant "foolish" or "ignorant."
GameFreak
Traveller wrote:
Daisie wrote:
Just to show how fast a language evolve and you should alway get the most recent dictionnary...

True. My favourite example of that is the English word "nice." Nowadays, it means "pleasant" or "agreeable," but it originally meant "foolish" or "ignorant."

That's quite an ironic and drastic change in the meaning of a word....
Davidgr1200
As far as I know betwixt is only used nowadays as part of the expression "betwixt and between" which means "neither one thing or the other", though even this expression does not seem to be used as much now as a few years ago.
sonam
Quote:
My favourite example of that is the English word "nice." Nowadays, it means "pleasant" or "agreeable," but it originally meant "foolish" or "ignorant."

Thats true, but some people still use "nice" in old maneer, especialy if they want to say "You are stupid".

Sonam