FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Firefox 3 alpha out

saurabh.sauron
The Mozilla team released its first alpha release of Firefox 3.0 today, giving Firefox and Web application developers an early look at the next-generation browser. This release is not intended for regular users, not even those who like to play around with early versions of a product, Mozilla said.

Funny code name. Gran Paradiso

Download:-
ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.or...aradiso/alpha1
Esch
Whoa thanks for the info and link. My biggest gripe with version 2 was it was almost exactly the same as 1.5, with minor upgrades. They should of kept it part of the version 1 series in my opinion.

I heard version 3 was a total rebuild of the engine. I hope it has a awesome new interface too.

Do you know if this will mess with existing previous versions of Firefox?

Also your link is messed up... Crying or Very sad

Edit: Found it with some searching

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/granparadiso/alpha1
Sergiy
mozilla is realy the best explorer. I'm now using mozilla firefox 2.0 and maybe download mozilla firefox 2.0 alpha becase I don't like alpha and beta versions Wink
manumiglani
THanks for the info Saurabh. I am downloading it.
roninmedia
whoa. already?

Gotta get it then. Very Happy
WickedGravity
I will take a little peek and see what she has to offer.
Commando_Sondre
That was really quick, well, well, suppose I have to try it anyways.
drioo
Well, I think 2 is better, because v3 has many many bugs Smile
angelussum
that's quick Surprised whoa, will have to check it out. thanks for sharing it!
orcaz
drioo wrote:
Well, I think 2 is better, because v3 has many many bugs Smile

V3 is still in alpha stage, which means it contains loads of bugs, hence, FF 2 is surely more stable. Going to try out FF 3 onli when it reaches Beta or RC stage...
palavra
i also wait for a bug free version
being patient is better than being ill.
tony
ff3 is a bit buggy still. ff2 is sweet. i hope ff3 is even better and dont doubt it will be.
ltwomba
i'm going to give it a try because i'm currently still using 1.5.0.8
just because i don't like 2.0... the new icons really suck (from my point of view), rss bookmarks didn't work well for me and some other stuff i dislike about the new version (better than ie7 though Wink)
carlokes
WoW,

That was really fast... version 2.0 has come out just recently and 3.0 is already on alpha Smile Mozilla surely don't wanna waste time.

Poor IE....no chance at all against a war machine like this one Smile

Stay Cool
djclue917
Esch wrote:
Whoa thanks for the info and link. My biggest gripe with version 2 was it was almost exactly the same as 1.5, with minor upgrades. They should of kept it part of the version 1 series in my opinion.

I heard version 3 was a total rebuild of the engine. I hope it has a awesome new interface too.

Those "minor upgrades" you are talking about might not be minor at all. There's a reason that Firefox 2.0 is Firefox 2.0 and not Firefox 1.x. In the simplest sense, a major version increment, consider X+1.Y where X is the major version and Y is the minor version number, means a major revision to the code base. It doesn't necessarily mean that the user interface (UI) have to change a lot for a specific release to be considered a major revision. I'm sure that in Firefox 2.0, there were many changes, mostly improvements I assume, to the underlying code.

By the way, a major version increment, for example 2.0, as compared to 1.5.0.7, generally means that 2.0 is expected to have more bugs than 1.5.0.7. This doesn't mean that the developers didn't make sure that 2.0final will be as bug free as possible because this is really what happens when you add/change new features, in effect changing the code base. Waiting for a bug fix release or a point release (e.g., 2.0.1 or 2.0.0.1) before upgrading is generally recommended.
koke01
Wow! It looks really cool.
akshar
thaku very much.i downloaded it its superfast and cool
my friends too tried it they found it more efficient.thanks once again for sharing
Ranfaroth
djclue917 wrote:
Those "minor upgrades" you are talking about might not be minor at all. There's a reason that Firefox 2.0 is Firefox 2.0 and not Firefox 1.x. In the simplest sense, a major version increment, consider X+1.Y where X is the major version and Y is the minor version number, means a major revision to the code base. It doesn't necessarily mean that the user interface (UI) have to change a lot for a specific release to be considered a major revision. I'm sure that in Firefox 2.0, there were many changes, mostly improvements I assume, to the underlying code.
No, Esch is right : Fx 2.0 is a minor upgrade : only UI changes.
Fx use gecko engine (I hope you already know that).
Fx 1.5.x use gecko 1.8.0.x, whereas Fx 2.0.x use gecko 1.8.1.x.
As you said, between those two versions it's only few bug fixes.

Fx 2.0 has this "version bump" only for commercial reasons (IE7...)

People should care about the engine instead of the browser version...
redice
It is go fast, I just upgrade to firefox 2.0 some days ago. What is the core update ? What is the great feather added in version 3?
Raijenki
I am not sure if i am downloading the correct one ^^
I wanna try it, i am downloading the "Gran Paradiso Setup Alpha 1", i think that it's a game... lol
blueray
I do think this is a planed version. You know the new version might be contains a lot of function to implment so that it required on steps to release the firefox 2 first, then on going to the whole new and fullly completed firefox 3.

I will download it when it's api more stable and consisient
And thank for your info.
djclue917
Ranfaroth wrote:
No, Esch is right : Fx 2.0 is a minor upgrade : only UI changes.
Fx use gecko engine (I hope you already know that).
Fx 1.5.x use gecko 1.8.0.x, whereas Fx 2.0.x use gecko 1.8.1.x.

No. You are very wrong. Version numbers are very significant (well, as long as the dev(s) of a particular app know how to tag releases properly). In the case of Mozilla, the versioning scheme that they use isn't that "conservative". Or in a way, they are adding incremental changes to the codebase at a very very rapid rate.

UI changes can be already considered as major revisions. As with the engine Firefox 2.0 uses, Gecko, 1.8.0.x is already very different from 1.8.1.x. Sure sure. It may look like a very minor version bump but take a look at Linux's versioning scheme (2.6.18 is very different compared to 2.6.19).

Quote:
As you said, between those two versions it's only few bug fixes.

I never said that. I said "I'm sure that in Firefox 2.0, there were many changes, mostly improvements I assume, to the underlying code."

Quote:
Fx 2.0 has this "version bump" only for commercial reasons (IE7...)

People should care about the engine instead of the browser version...

Version bumps aren't there for commercial reasons (well, I don't know with Microsoft.Laughing). They are there to show revisions, how much and how major those revisions are.

I'm pretty sure that there are many "under-the-hood" changes in Firefox 2.0 prior to the 1.5 series.
vynes18
Yup, i also successfully upgrade to firefox 2 but don't know why i can't use it anymore(strange, but can surf net with IE and other browser)

then i also upgraded to firefox 3 alpha, also the same problem, does anybody having this error? or it not compatible with win xp sp1?

Any tircks for recover it? i had tried rollback to ver 1.5 but same problem.
Help~~~
KHO
Wow Neutral that came out fast enough lol
Ranfaroth
djclue917 wrote:
No. You are very wrong.
No I'm not. I follow very carefully gecko development, and I know what I'm talking about....
Quote:
Version numbers are very significant (well, as long as the dev(s) of a particular app know how to tag releases properly).
It depends on the software. And you'll see that the more commercial a software is, the more useless are the version numbers (who talked about "Office 2007" ?)
Quote:
As with the engine Firefox 2.0 uses, Gecko, 1.8.0.x is already very different from 1.8.1.x.
No : it's very closed.
Gecko engine follows an inteligent versioning scheme, and third digit upgrades are minor ones, and this for a long time.
Quote:
It may look like a very minor version bump but take a look at Linux's versioning scheme (2.6.18 is very different compared to 2.6.19).
This always have been the case. (2.4.x was very different compared to 2.4.y). But we all know that kernel devs are intelligent people which give acurate version numbers.
Quote:
Version bumps aren't there for commercial reasons (well, I don't know with Microsoft.Laughing).
Useless version bumps are for commercial reasons (Why else ?)
And Fx bumps to 2.x is a useless bump, since the engine doesn't really change, and the small UI improvements are not significative (according to most users)
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that there are many "under-the-hood" changes in Firefox 2.0 prior to the 1.5 series.
That's the difference between you and me : you're "pretty sure", but don't know anything about the code.
I do.
raman
This is awesome news man, I will definately download and check it out.

Thanks
djclue917
Ranfaroth wrote:
I do.

Oh you do... So why didn't you tell the Mozilla devs that they should name Firefox 2.0 as Firefox 1.5.1 or 1.6.0 if you're really that good and you know the Firefox and Gecko codebases much more than they do? If that were the case, then they might have listened to your rants about how useless Firefox 2.0's version bump was.

And why did you even think that 2.0 was a useless version bump? In the first place, you don't have the "authority" to say that a version bump is useless because there isn't a single standard way of knowing by "how much" a version number should be bumped.

And oh, BTW, "2007" is not a useless version number because it isn't even a version number.

The bottom line is that version bumps are based on the devs' discretion.

PS:
Do me a favor (well I don't care if you do it or not), download the Firefox 1.5.0.7 & 2.0 and Gecko 1.8.0 & 1.8.1 codebases and do a recursive diff so that we can see how much the code changed between the releases.
photon
Thanks for the info! will check it out when i have time.. im happy with FF2 right now.. dont find anything missing (well there are addons for pretty much everything)

lets see how FF3 turns out..
Ranfaroth
djclue917 wrote:
Oh you do... So why didn't you tell the Mozilla devs that they should name Firefox 2.0 as Firefox 1.5.1 or 1.6.0
Because many people have already done this before you even thought about it...
Quote:
And why did you even think that 2.0 was a useless version bump?
Did you read the previous posts ?
Seriously, just point me what you didn't understand, because I'm not going to copy/past what was explained above...
Quote:
In the first place, you don't have the "authority" to say that a version bump is useless because there isn't a single standard way of knowing by "how much" a version number should be bumped.
Of course there are standards, which are defined by devs, and which remain constant. For instance, if a software is versionned X.Y, (X+1).Y will basicly be a major upgrade, whereas X,(Y+1) will be a minor one.
And here, Fx commercial team didn't follow mozilla dev versionning scheme. They bump Fx version to make people think it's a major upgrade, whereas it's in fact a minor one...
Quote:
And oh, BTW, "2007" is not a useless version number because it isn't even a version number.
Yes it is in those cases...
Quote:
Do me a favor (well I don't care if you do it or not), download the Firefox 1.5.0.7 & 2.0 and Gecko 1.8.0 & 1.8.1 codebases and do a recursive diff so that we can see how much the code changed between the releases.
If we want to see something, we must compare with others diffs, right ?
So just do the same thing between gecko 1.7 and gecko 1.8 branch, or between gecko 1.8 and gecko 1.9....
dac_nip
oh. I didn't know this. thanks for the info.
Alias
I don't like trying those alpha and beta versions of any softwares... I will just wait to the official release then that will be the time that I will try it. Anyway its a crap thing when you install a software that full of bugs. Mad However, thanks for the information.