FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Colbert and Stewart





pampoon
Okay, who here thinks that the Colbert Report and the Daily Show are getting retarded? I mean, sure they were funny at first but know Colbert is acting like an O'Reilly gone psycho. He makes fun of people for things that everyone else does too, but the person he makes fun of has more power so everyone laughs at his corny jokes.

God bless,
Pampoon
rightclickscott
The Daily Show was and still pretty much is a classic. It's constantly funny, and anyone who really says anything bad about it, I disagree with them. It's probably the greatest show on television today.

As for the Colbert Report, you just need to keep in mind that he is not serious about everything he says. The idea of Steven Colbert is now that he is just satire of all the conservative reporters. He still is funny, but he is lackluster compared to his earlier stuff. However, did you know that Steven Colbert is supposed to take over The Daily Show, and John Stewart is supposed to host The Late Show? Basically, they gave Colbert his own show as conditioning for when he takes over the Daily Show. He's going to have his show for afew more years, once David Letterman retires.
niitdn-diendan
i like it,it's best...agree with me???
snowboardalliance
Very funny show.
Don't watch it regularly, just when it happens to be on.
HoboPelican
rightclickscott wrote:
... However, did you know that Steven Colbert is supposed to take over The Daily Show, and John Stewart is supposed to host The Late Show? Basically, they gave Colbert his own show as conditioning for when he takes over the Daily Show. He's going to have his show for afew more years, once David Letterman retires.


OMG! This is terrible news! I love the Daily show mostly BECAUSE of Jon Stewart. Colbert, in my opinion, is great in a supporting role, but as an "anchor" he just doesn't do it for me. Well, things change in life, but this is definitely one change for the worse. Smile
rightclickscott
HoboPelican wrote:
rightclickscott wrote:
... However, did you know that Steven Colbert is supposed to take over The Daily Show, and John Stewart is supposed to host The Late Show? Basically, they gave Colbert his own show as conditioning for when he takes over the Daily Show. He's going to have his show for afew more years, once David Letterman retires.


OMG! This is terrible news! I love the Daily show mostly BECAUSE of Jon Stewart. Colbert, in my opinion, is great in a supporting role, but as an "anchor" he just doesn't do it for me. Well, things change in life, but this is definitely one change for the worse. Smile


Don't worry, this won't happen until 2010, so you'll have plenty of time to enjoy Jon Stewart and get to love Steven Colbert. The Colbert Report is basically a conditioning for him, and by 2010, I bet he'll be ready to take over The Daily Show.
DynamicNames
Well, I don't really think that the Daily Show is doing any bad. Jon Stewart is still making the show funny and entertaining for us viewers, so, I think that the Daily Show is doing okay and regular. As for the Colbert Report with Steven Colbert, yes, some of his jokes get corny sometimes. It's not that well thought out as the Daily Show's jokes. But, you must remember that those shows aren't that much of a news show, but rather more of a comedy show.

And since part or most of it is a comedy show, Steven Colbert is trying to make us laugh at something. Some of the funniness maybe random, corny, or just cheap, but you atleast laugh and get entertained by it. Which is actually a main idea of the Colbert Report, and also the Daily Show, too.
shoes22
rightclickscott wrote:
HoboPelican wrote:
rightclickscott wrote:
... However, did you know that Steven Colbert is supposed to take over The Daily Show, and John Stewart is supposed to host The Late Show? Basically, they gave Colbert his own show as conditioning for when he takes over the Daily Show. He's going to have his show for afew more years, once David Letterman retires.


OMG! This is terrible news! I love the Daily show mostly BECAUSE of Jon Stewart. Colbert, in my opinion, is great in a supporting role, but as an "anchor" he just doesn't do it for me. Well, things change in life, but this is definitely one change for the worse. Smile


Don't worry, this won't happen until 2010, so you'll have plenty of time to enjoy Jon Stewart and get to love Steven Colbert. The Colbert Report is basically a conditioning for him, and by 2010, I bet he'll be ready to take over The Daily Show.

I'm calling crap on this. There's no credible source for this information. Back in 2002 David Letterman's contract was going to expire and it was THEN when they were considering having Stewart replace him on the Late Show. When Letterman resigned with CBS, ABC gave the next night-time slot available to another Comedy Central star, Jimmy Kimmel. When Stewart was asked in 2005 whether he would replace Letterman when he retires he said it was unlikely, because he wouldn't have as much freedom to say whatever he wanted. As well Stephen Colbert would not go back to the Daily Show after having his own show for what would be 5 years. If you're the star of your own show, developed your own character, style and spin for it, it is impossible to then go back and carry that over to another show. Having Stephen host the Daily Show will just not work, because unlike the Report, the show isn't all about him.
Scaramanga
shoes22 wrote:
If you're the star of your own show, developed your own character, style and spin for it, it is impossible to then go back and carry that over to another show. Having Stephen host the Daily Show will just not work, because unlike the Report, the show isn't all about him.

Uhhh you ARE aware that Jon Stewart didn't invent the Daily Show right? People seem to forget that Craig Kilborn was the host for the first 2 years before he went on to host The Late Late Show for 5 years. Also, when Stewart took over he made the show his own, so I don't see that this would be a problem for Colbert. Not that I'm entirely convinced Colbert will take over for Stewart is he ever leaves. I mean Colbert's gone to pretty great lengths to create the persona he uses on the Colbert Report, and it'd probably be hard for him to get past that.
rightclickscott
Or, I believe, he could bring that persona to The Daily Show, giving it that Colbert style, and with all the other correspondents, it would still keep that Daily Show style. In essence, it would be a brand new Daily Show, which has the best of both worlds, Colbert Report and Daily Show.
Patriot Players
I really enjoy both shows, watch them every day. The reason is that they strike at truth SO often, and thats what makes them so funny. Its like you step back for a minute and realize how ridiculous the whole world political scene actually is. Also both Colbert and Stewart consistently prove that they know what they are talking about when interviewing their guests. Its largely more intelligent than most of the rest of whats on Comedy Central.
nondormo
Colbert is corny, Jon Stewart is not. The Daily Show... sometimes it is better to watch it than the daily news.
Scaramanga
rightclickscott wrote:
Or, I believe, he could bring that persona to The Daily Show, giving it that Colbert style, and with all the other correspondents, it would still keep that Daily Show style. In essence, it would be a brand new Daily Show, which has the best of both worlds, Colbert Report and Daily Show.

I can't see Comedy Central ever doing this unless one or both franchises was on its last legs. Why turn the Daily Show into the Colbert Report when they've already got that show. Why have only one successful politcal satire show when you can have two. Nah, my money's on them getting a totally new host for TDS when and if Stewart ever leaves.

Also, did Stewart ever apologize to Geraldo?!? Very Happy
HoboPelican
It could happen. Didn't Craig Kilborn used to host it for the first 2 years? But I doubt if they are really planning that far ahead. If Jon leaves, I'm guessing it will be rather sudden and unplanned.
Scaramanga
HoboPelican wrote:
It could happen. Didn't Craig Kilborn used to host it for the first 2 years? But I doubt if they are really planning that far ahead. If Jon leaves, I'm guessing it will be rather sudden and unplanned.

Yes, as I pointed out earlier Craig Kilborn hosted the show for 2 years before he went on to host The Late Late Show. However, that being said, the show has gotten much higher ratings and critical acclaim with Stewart at the helm than it ever did with Kilborn.
HoboPelican
Scaramanga wrote:
Yes, as I pointed out earlier Craig Kilborn hosted the show for 2 years...


Oops! Sorry, I missed your pointing that out completly. Embarassed

And you are right, the show is in a totally different class(in regards to humor and ratings) with Jon at the helm. My point was simply that the show is not moderator specific and thus ANYTHING can happen I have doubts that any long term plan of succession can work. Ratings change, Colbert could get a gig somehere else, etc. There may be a plan in place, but if it is more than 12 months out, I wouldn't bet on it happening. Wink
nhlarry
The Colbert Report is got to be the funniest show on television but John Stewart and the Daily Show is just plain dumb; that show is retarded.
rightclickscott
nhlarry wrote:
The Colbert Report is got to be the funniest show on television but John Stewart and the Daily Show is just plain dumb; that show is retarded.


Except that it's really not retarded and is, most of the time, funnier than the Colbert Report. The fact that you used a semicolon is quite nice, you never see enough of those.
shoes22
The Daily Show and Colbert Report are different kinds of humour. I personally love them both, but The Colbert Report is often more satire, and I would think harder to produce. Because Stephen is essentially in character, after many months of the same material it often tends to get repetitive...while as the Daily Show always tends to be fresh because they just play on whatever's in current events.
apexcaliber
Jon Stewart is a genius and carries the show. I dont enjoy the anchors and other additions to the show. I usually flip channels when one of them gets air time.

I laugh at the Colbert report from time to time but mostly it just feels to predictable or that he is working to hard.
soldeinvierno
I only get to see the videos that they put on ifilm.com and I must say that Stewart's Daily Show is freaking funny!
Related topics
Who is your favorite actor/actress?
Book Recommendations
Vampire Movies
James Blunt!
how many of the four cardinal virtues do you practice?
Do you like Tony Stewart?
Colbert burns Bush
Colbert ROASTS Bush
Shows I like watching. What about you?
Name your ticket for President of the USA
New version of Firefox available for download
John Stewart's "America : A Citizens Guide to Democracy
Rick Sanchez.....maybe you lie too. Or don't check facts...
Colbert interviews Neil deGrasse Tyson (2010)
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Sports and Entertainment -> Movies and Television

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.