FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Good PHP Books

Straevaras
I'm just starting to actually develop some web interfaces with PHP, and I'm wondering, do any of you PHP devs out there have any good books you'd like to recommend? It's nice to have the Internet to always use for a reference, but sometimes I'm doing work in places where I don't have the internet, or where it costs money (i.e., Starbucks). Plus, I usually learn something better from a book anyway instead of learning bits and pieces from references on this and that website.

I made one script last night for a very very simple bulletin board, and I like how easy it was. So what books do you guys recommend for PHP and MySQL?
[FuN]goku
"Php and mysql for dummies"
or
"Teach yourself php, mysql and apache in 24 hours"
PatTheGreat42
Both PHP for Dummies books - PHP for Dummies and PHP & MySQL for Dummies are pretty dang good for beginners. However, as it is that you've already designed a bulletin board, I'm thinking maybe you should try something a little more advanced.

Personally, I'd go search on Slashdot. They've got book recommendations every once in a while, and a simple search on past PHP books should do the trick for ya.
Straevaras
Thanks for your input Pat! Smile
roninmedia
I liked my books from an author named Welling. Nice for intermediate to advanced users.
SmartIcon
I can get some benefits from this thread. Users if you know something about any book on php, please post. Thanks all.
KattPappa
I have learnt all the PHP I know from the book 'PHP5 and MySQL Bible', I guess it's a bit expensive but i really like the way it theaches things. I definately receomend it Smile
budiman
I read Beginning PHP and MySQL 5, W. Jason Gilmore

Not so bad in fact.

It cover from Novice to Professional. It offers comprehensive information about two of the most prominent open source technologies on the planet: the PHP scripting language and the MySQL database server.

In fact this book likes three books in one, covered PHP 5, MySQL 5, and how these two popular open source technologies work together to create powerful websites. The book is packed with practical examples and insight into real-world challenges. It is based on the author's 7 years of experience working with these technologies. You will repeatedly refer to this book as a valuable instructional tool and reference guide.
Straevaras
KattPappa wrote:
I have learnt all the PHP I know from the book 'PHP5 and MySQL Bible', I guess it's a bit expensive but i really like the way it theaches things. I definately receomend it Smile

I definitely think I'll look into that one too. I have the JavaScript Bible and I really liked it myself.
hostingguy
PatTheGreat42 wrote:
Both PHP for Dummies books - PHP for Dummies and PHP & MySQL for Dummies are pretty dang good for beginners. However, as it is that you've already designed a bulletin board, I'm thinking maybe you should try something a little more advanced.

Personally, I'd go search on Slashdot. They've got book recommendations every once in a while, and a simple search on past PHP books should do the trick for ya.

I agree! Wink
Php/MYSQL for Dummies is a great book to learn PHP/MYSQL from beginner to advanced! it just learns you all! Smile
riv_
The Site Point books are my favorites. There's one called, Build your own dynamic Database Driven Web Site, or something like that. Great for beginners.
After that, The PHP Anthology took me from thinking about scripts and actually writing them (and most of them work!!!! )
They're not as easy to find as the For Dummies books, but for the money, I (personally) got a lot more out of them.
manum
i prefer wrox publication books like

begining php or professional php

they have exhaustive knowledge....
desertwind
WROX books rocks. Professional PHP is a good book.
riv_
Oh yeah, I guess a close second, IMHO would be the O'Reilly in a Nutshell series... they're usually a pretty safe bet.
snowboardalliance
Only "book" I have used
http://www.hudzilla.org/phpbook/index.php
Diablosblizz
I don't know much about php, still learning. But, I picked up a little at my public library. Check out your library, they may have something good!

Enjoy!
AOP Web Development
Hello dude! just try to use WROX BOOK beginning PHP5,Apache, MySQL Programming

it's very useful and very nice book! if you are a beginner in web base programming maybe this one is write for you.. I have one at home and it's really satisfactory to me...

I hope it can help to you!

Wink
roboguyspacedude
I used a book (can't remember right now) to learn from, but now use PHP and MYSQL for Dummies as a reference. Very helpful.
Alias
I would suggest Larry Ullman Books "PHP for the World Wide Web" and "PHP and MySQL for Dynamic Web Sites". Larry Ullman PHP and MySQL books are intended and written for those beginners who really want to learn PHP and MySQL.

"Build Your Own Database Driven Website Using PHP and MySQL" by Kevin Yank from SitePoint is a good book too. It is for intermediate and advanced users because most of the chapter of the book discussed Structured Programming and OOP using PHP. The book will also teach you how to do Advanced MySQL Administration. When you know the basic syntax of PHP and MySQL this book is really good for you. Smile
prashant
http://www.freeprogrammingresources.com/phpbook.html

Try this site, offers a few free php ebooks Cool
Bejeweledhorses
if your desperate for php help get this book:

i tried it and its great -worth every penny!

Book name: PHP 5/MySQL programming for the absolute beginner

Author: Andy Harris

here is a picture of the book's cover:
http://img421.imageshack.us/img421/4560/193184132201sclzzzzzzz1nh.jpg
lars_guitars
A good solid reference manual is a great tool especially if it has practical, real world examples, rather than the sterile classroom ones which don't really match the design you need for your site / app / script.
Heres a couple of good ones :

To start with
PHP and MySQL eBook

A bit more fun - learning about compilers / interpreters ad syntax
Create your own programming language

The last one is more for fun, you learn a lot about a language and syntax through looking at compiler / interpreter design. Not so much for the newbie, but a bit of fun none the less.
welshsteve
I have three PHP books altogether. Two big ones and areference one. These are the ones I have:

WROX - Beginning PHP5, Apache, MySQL Web Development

PHP and MySQL For Dynamic Websites Second Edition by Larry Ullman

SAMS Teach Yourself PHP in 10 Minutes by Chris Newman
ankur209
Thanx for that....!! Razz
xerophyte80
this site has list of good php books
http://www.goodbookson.com/index.php/category/php/
hitman3000
i learned it by reading in google
gisergising
as a beginer i read ¡®php by example¡¯
ankurthakur
Just Don't go for any other stuff on internet.
- First Download a Good E-book. I suggest Sams Teach PHP yourself in 24 hours
- Setup a Local Server. (WAMP)
- Make Scripts and start testing and learn by them.

Really, I learnt php with this only Arrow
codersfriend
The best PHP/MySQL book I could recommend for beginners is
How to do Everything with PHP and MySQL by Vikram Vaswani

Its straightforward and teaches the basic things you need to know.. although it doesn't cover object oriented php (on my edition), it can serve as a good head start. Also teaches on how to install apache and mysql

Its also a handy book
Navigator
When youre ready this one is a good followup
Pro PHP and jQuery - Apress
www.apress.com/9781430228479
campuspk
PHP/MySQL Programming for the Absolute Beginner
campuspk
PHP/MySQL Programming for the Absolute Beginner
Sna1L
I learned PHP(basics) with book Robin Nixon - "Learning PHP, MySQL & JavaScript"(O'Reilly)(Russian language).
And you must programming! Very much!
Sorry for my english:)
Sna1L
I'm sorry. delete it please
rjraaz
Recently i have found book titled "Beginning PHP 5.3" written by Matt Doyle and published by Wiley Publishing Inc.
It is a nice book about PHP 5.3 for beginners.
watchftp
I'm looking for a book which cover PHP in context of developing website using Joomla. Any good recommendation will be greatly appreciated.
adri
watchftp wrote:
I'm looking for a book which cover PHP in context of developing website using Joomla. Any good recommendation will be greatly appreciated.

I think most books about Joomla will ask that you already have basic knowledge of PHP (and a RDBMS). You could first read something like 'Sams teach yourself PHP in 10 minutes' and then start with a book about developing for Joomla. (I think O'Reilly has some nice books, I'm not sure)

Ninja edit: http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780470438534.do

adri