FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Video games cause Epilepsy (Fits)?





ryukenden
Some people say to me playing video games a lot may cause Epilepsy (fits). Do you agree with it? I have been playing for over last 7-8 years but so far no problem.

Do you believe we will develop epilepsy due to video games?
wumingsden
ryukenden wrote:
Some people say to me playing video games a lot may cause Epilepsy (fits). Do you agree with it? I have been playing for over last 7-8 years but so far no problem.

Do you believe we will develop epilepsy due to video games?


I'm unsure as to whether it casues epilepsy to develop but video games (along with tv shows, strobe lights, camera flashes, etc) can trigger an epiletic fit.
TheMasterCheaif
Cant happen been playing video games since I was 4, watching Tv since I was born, and been on the computer since I was 7, and i've played the game for atleast 18 and a half hours str8 if not more, And i have 20/20 vision Shocked And I do not were glasses.
Esch
It only happens to a small fraction of people when there are flashing strobe like images. A bunch of kids in japan had seizures after watching an episode of pokemon which had flashing lights from pikachu when he was doing some lightning attack. Becuase games have similar effects of drastic light changes some times they put those warnings on the video games.
TonkPilz
Epilepsy is something you are born whit or get after various sorts of brain damage's like tumors, head injuries, drug abuse and a lot of other misc stuff.
some psychosis's my also coz a epilepsy LIKE state.

some people can suffer from cluster head aces that are vary serious and are brought on by any standard light even thought its not epilepsy it do have some similar symptoms. but most people whit cluster head aces commit suicide after a few years after getting the "illness"

this is what i remember from my school days and i am pretty sure you wont get epilepsy from games or any ting ells unless you have it already

think of all the disco goers im sure most of them are epilepsy free to day.
Fenroy
TheMasterCheaif wrote:
Cant happen been playing video games since I was 4, watching Tv since I was born, and been on the computer since I was 7, and i've played the game for atleast 18 and a half hours str8 if not more, And i have 20/20 vision Shocked And I do not were glasses.


Well, while that may be the case (The same is essentially true for me too...just change a few numbers), we're not talking about vision problems. Epilepsy has very little to do with vision, with the exception that many epileptic fits are caused by visual stimuli.

Anyway, I personally don't think it can happen simply because epilepsy is typically due to a chemical imbalance in the brain or some sort of growth putting undue pressure on certain parts of the brain. This can't suddenly develop as a result of playing too many video games. However, many of the newer games I've been playing, especially on my Gamecube, have had warnings when you first start them up about potentially causing epileptic fits. That's purely so the publishers of the game don't get sued by parents because their kids had a seizure while playing the game.
cruzo
Defenitive Yes.
There is many kinds of epilepsy and there is many sources.
Some people can be epilepsy and they dont know it.
The possibilities are so many and the human brain is too complex to know all the alternatives.
The better choice is to be carefull if you are so tired and maybe had a very hard day or too emotions try to rest just a little before figth with the videos. In a special way the kids can be affected by more facts than we in other times, I mean by example 20 years ago the kind of video games wasnt the same, lets take only de Black and White Ping pong versus the actual Street Fighter. The kids dosnt have the same resist to the stimuli than de adults. The impact in the kids by the images are direct to the brain.
I mean play so much as you feel good. And take care about to be in good physic form.
Bofia
anyone can have a epilipsy attack but most of us it will never happen because the chances are rare. For other people, they have some kinda disease or trait that makes their more prone to seizures.
Scott
For an epileptic person, yes, they can cause seizures.
enygmasoft
ryukenden wrote:
Some people say to me playing video games a lot may cause Epilepsy (fits). Do you agree with it? I have been playing for over last 7-8 years but so far no problem.

Do you believe we will develop epilepsy due to video games?


Welcome to an episode of the twilight zone if that happens. Its impossible to have epilepsy develop becuase of this. The problem is that if you do have epilepsy it can increase the risk of getting an epileptic convulsion, but you have to have epilepsy for this to happen.
Scratch
Where did you get that information from? Shocked
nancian
wumingsden wrote:
ryukenden wrote:
Some people say to me playing video games a lot may cause Epilepsy (fits). Do you agree with it? I have been playing for over last 7-8 years but so far no problem.

Do you believe we will develop epilepsy due to video games?


I'm unsure as to whether it casues epilepsy to develop but video games (along with tv shows, strobe lights, camera flashes, etc) can trigger an epiletic fit.

i don't think so, the amazing thing is to see someone stay nearly 24/7 playing
with excellent vision> not sure whether it is true
BladeRunner
ryukenden wrote:
Some people say to me playing video games a lot may cause Epilepsy (fits). Do you agree with it? I have been playing for over last 7-8 years but so far no problem.

Do you believe we will develop epilepsy due to video games?


The risk comes from the brain receiving too much data when tired, so as long as you take breaks you'll be ok. Don't forget, last year a man in South Korea died after spending 50 hours playing an online game....and it seams a second soul has been lost to gaming...

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2120472/second-gamer-dies-massive-binge
TonkPilz
BladeRunner wrote:
The risk comes from the brain receiving too much data when tired, so as long as you take breaks you'll be ok. Don't forget, last year a man in South Korea died after spending 50 hours playing an online game....and it seams a second soul has been lost to gaming...

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2120472/second-gamer-dies-massive-binge


yeah when you do as those idiots did thay did not have any ting to eat or drink for 32H+ and ofc no sleep on top of that will hurt most ppl even if your not playing a game plus non of the two men died of epilepsy attacks.
BladeRunner
TonkPilz wrote:
BladeRunner wrote:
The risk comes from the brain receiving too much data when tired, so as long as you take breaks you'll be ok. Don't forget, last year a man in South Korea died after spending 50 hours playing an online game....and it seams a second soul has been lost to gaming...

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2120472/second-gamer-dies-massive-binge


yeah when you do as those idiots did thay did not have any ting to eat or drink for 32H+ and ofc no sleep on top of that will hurt most ppl even if your not playing a game plus non of the two men died of epilepsy attacks.


True, but if they weren't playing games they probably wouldn't have stayed sitting in one place for so long. When a game drives you to pee in a bottle rather than go to the lavatory, you know you have a problem.
Jools64
I think if you put up the refresh rate of your monitor it makes it less lightly to happen... (I think)
TonkPilz
BladeRunner wrote:


True, but if they weren't playing games they probably wouldn't have stayed sitting in one place for so long. When a game drives you to pee in a bottle rather than go to the lavatory, you know you have a problem.


agreed tho i have seen the bottle being used more than ones at lan party's by
both genders i was kinda impressed. It kinda makes me wish thy reach for the wrong bottle ones its time for a drink

but the truth is most ppl whit epilepsy are born whit or are more prone to get an epilepsy attack and most of us don't haft o worry about it. i don't and i have bean playing quake for ages
Patriot Players
Yeah games can trigger epilepsy IF you already have it. But they wont cause you to get epilepsy, its a genetic condition I believe.
BladeRunner
TonkPilz wrote:
BladeRunner wrote:


True, but if they weren't playing games they probably wouldn't have stayed sitting in one place for so long. When a game drives you to pee in a bottle rather than go to the lavatory, you know you have a problem.


agreed tho i have seen the bottle being used more than ones at lan party's by
both genders i was kinda impressed. It kinda makes me wish thy reach for the wrong bottle ones its time for a drink

but the truth is most ppl whit epilepsy are born whit or are more prone to get an epilepsy attack and most of us don't haft o worry about it. i don't and i have bean playing quake for ages


I don't think it causes epilepsy as such, just that it can cause seizures.

btw...kudos to any female who can pee into a bottle!
Related topics
Video Games
Survey: Which type of advertisements are you interested in?
PVPMachine - Paintball, Video Games, PC
Video Games any one?
ARE VIDEO GAMES BAD FOR OUR CHILDREN??
Retro Gaming
Video Games
Adult Content and Violence in Video Games ??
Does violence in video games elicit violent behavior?
The best video games of 2007.
Has video games changed/influenced you?
Has video games changed your sex life?
What are the good or bad sides of playing computer games?
Video Games are bad!
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Sports and Entertainment -> Games

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.