FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

how dinosaurs disappared from the world?

ryukenden
Dinosaurs disappeared million years ago and some said due to a meteorite (comet) or climate change.

I would go for due to climate change.

What is your opinion?
S3nd K3ys
ryukenden wrote:
Dinosaurs disappeared million years ago and some said due to a meteorite (comet) or climate change.

What is your opinion?

Climate change, brought on by either a meteor or by SUVs

Wink
ashen
Some theories I've heard are :
1. Climate change
2. Meteorite
3. Evolution
4. Big disaster

But I think the most destructive event is when a big meteorite crush the land where the dinosaur live.
Alkmania
Evolution sounds more likable rather than one comet that wiped out all dinosaurs but let the whole earth intact Confused Very Happy
jharsika
Technically it's all of the above. No matter what happened the climate changed and they weren't able to live on this earth anymore. Before the common dinosaurs we usually here about Trex etc, there were actually even BIGGER dinosaurs that died out then the smaller critters survived. Then those ones died and the smaller critters survived. It's kind of a pattern I guess.....but I'm rambling! I think something happened to make a big change come about, like a meteor hit, then the poles switched or something and the whole climate got messed up. You know the rest!
tiel_99
My take on this is probably a meteor impact which brought about climate change.

Just my opinion, but that seems to most logical.

Isn't it amazing just to think that there were huge creaure roaming this world we live in?
EekMan
Chuck Norris personally wiped them off of the planet Earth.

Laughing

I would have to say climate change. Those who weren't able to adapt, gone.
DoctorBeaver
[quote="EekMan"]Chuck Norris personally wiped them off of the planet Earth.

Laughing
quote]

That's the most plausible theory I've heard for a very long time! Laughing
faker_phil
tiel_99 wrote:

You are most likely right. When the meteor (also possible: the meteors) struck, the planet was covered in a cloak of dust, blocking all sunlight. That caused the climate to cool down, eliminating the dinosaurs.

Another theory is that they were extinct through increased vulcanism, which also brought about climate change.

You see, all theories have climate change in common, although it is only an event following the initial cause.
osbits
One day, with the development of science(like time travel), everything will be clear.
bgillingham
I would have to say that I don't really believe that the dinosaurs have ever become extinct - today's birds are simply the progeny that survived the changes that happened - likely started due to at least one large meteor impact (some archaeologists believe that it was multiple meteors).

I thought that they all died from smoking cigarettes (Far Side cartoon by Gary Larson).

I believe that ultimately, the inability of the classic dinosaurs to adapt to global climate change caused their extinction. If you can say that dinosaurs classically have no feathers - and that feathered dinosaurs are not dinosaurs -- then I have no argument other than many feathered dinosaurs have been found (and several fakes have made the scientists look bad with the National Geographic enthusiasm to print the findings).

Mass extinctions have happened many times before and since the mass extinction that finalized the fate of the classic dinosaurs. Climate change usually due to volcanic activity has been linked to just about all of the mass extinctions. The food chain breaks down when foundation foods can not survive the new weather. Larger animals that ate their veggies -- would thin out depending on how diverse of a diet they had, and larger meat-eaters would be the next to die off if the herbivores couldn't survive.

There is a lot of recent evidence that shows that smaller feathered dinosaurs lived on and due to the massive change of environment, survivors were quickly narrowed down to only the most bird-like progeny.

I have to wonder why the feathered ones survived - and the large pterodactyl type died off. This must suggest that the food source for the "birds" was sufficient throughout the time following the big global climate change(s), but the food for the larger pterodactyl was either becoming extinct, or competition for remaining food sources was too great for them to overcome.

I just finished reading "Origin of Species" by Darwin, and it really makes you understand the problems that theories based on geological record have. He really explains how fossils of one species could be plentiful in one area, and not found above that layer -- but still proves that the animal in question could have simply avoided the conditions that make fossils (geological lifts cause more deposits in some areas, but the duration of deposits is limited to the amount of silt that is available to cover any bones).
Sokken
Another thing is that today our atmosphere contains much less oxygen and with less oxygen creatures will be smaller. There were also one meter long insects at the time of the dinosaurs.

Probably something made the climate change, this made some species extinct but also made them evolve because the most succesful creatures was no longer the giant dinosaurs, instead it was small dinosaurs and other smaller animals.

The dinosaurs as we think of them wasen't extinct over short time but over long time. So maybe it was a giant meteor that triggered it. if it was I guess it is not wrong to say that the meteor was the cause.
Margalo
I remember hearing some ware (don't ask me where) that one meteorite is unlikely. That a large meteor and meteor shower wiped out a lot of them. And that there was a climate change that killed most the rest, but that then a second meteorite destroyed the survivors.

Quote:

Logic: I find that highly unlikely, for about a million and a half reasons that should seem apparent. But more importantly does anyone even know how chuck norris jokes got started? and what could the appeal of them possibly be?!?!??!! they contian little to no wit and for some reason the fad will not die!! its driving me insane!
ColdFire
Quote:
But more importantly does anyone even know how chuck norris jokes got started?

Neverheard any of them! except for the one posted above. Rolling Eyes
will someone pls create a separate topic & post the ones they know... Wink
Revvion
I like the old meteor theory.
steps Razz :
1) meteor crashed on earth
2) shockwave killed a lot, massive rubble and smoke covering the sky
3) oceans start boiling from the heat
4) al dinosaurs left die of massive loss of food
Jinx
The meteor theory is pretty strong, scientists have even identified what they believe to be the impact crater in the Gulf of Mexico along the northern edge of the Yucatan Penesula.

The impact would have caused an artificial winter that would have lasted for years. No sunlight, no growing season, no food. All that would be left are bugs that can live off carcases, creatures that could hibernate for long stretches, or little mammals that had stores of nuts and seeds.

If the super-volcano at Yellowstone were to erupt, it would have the same effect.

The meter long insects that someone mentioned were actually from before dinosours. They lived during the carboniforous period, which was an extremely warm period during earth's history. I remember reading that there was something like 700 times the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere than there is today. Greenhouse warming to the extreme. It was a tropical paradise for gigantic bugs, though.
.Locke
I am also inclined to the meteor theory. They actually found a mineral in a layer of the earth's crust that only comes from space, and that mineral is present at the same level around the earth. This is strong evedence that a very large meteor hit the earth at that time.

If that said meteor hit the earth, it would have effected the earth's climate. Making it unlivable for the dinosaurs of that time. So they had to adapt to the new climates. So that would mean that dinosaurs would no longer exsist, but instead the new spicies that were evolved from them would.
m_furquan36
I would standby the change of climate theory brought about by the meteors,it seems to be the most proper theory.
gaurav.baral1
i would go for climatic change
we know that slowly earth's climate is changing.we are experiencing change in climatic pattern , particularly extreme type...today we are here because climate suits us but tomorrow our kind will get evolutionized to cope the change or die .
similar case must have happened for monsterous reptiles..they must have faled to cope with the change...
Arnie
Oh, so the dinosaurs had chemical industries and built power plants everywhere?

The climate change that would have killed the dinosaurs wasn't "slowly" like ours right now. It was suddenly caused and most people assume by a meteorite.

You can't compare the two. There are enough other topics for you to talk about climate change today.
dooble.doodles
I thought they just stuck their thumbs out and caught a vogon ship....

I think that is where they met marvin... Laughing

-----------

Or maybe the decaying magnetic field of the earth before a reversal in rotation happened. This could really cause a lot of havic on the surface.
TexasWes
Just to try and break a few paradigms out there...allow me to pose a question. If a meteor hit the Earth with such a catastrophic result, why did it select only dinosaurs and not all of the other creatures that have evolved since then?

I offer you an alternative view. Instead of something BIG that killed BIG animals...consider something very small--bacteria. The number of reptiles (dinos) that the earth could support (i.e. food) must be less than the number of small animals it can support (i.e mice). This is evident today in that there are fewer large animals than small animals.

Bacteria and other organisms CAN BE species specific. Plague (Y. pestis) can be lethal to a cat, but dogs are naturally immune. Parvo can be lethal to dogs, but humans are not succeptable. If the climate changed (pick your theory), then there could have been a rise in the numbers of vector-carrying insects. This in-turn could have caused a world-wide (although I believe dinosaurs weren't actually existing from pole to pole) epidemic (or pandemic) within the dino population. This would be similar to the plague pandemics that occurred in Europe--wiping out 1/3 of the human population.

Just a theory...let your minds stretch.
miacps
Thats an interesting theory, TexasWes.

However I would think that at least some isolated species would survive a plague.

I would have to go with a meteor that cause climate change which eventually lead to the Ice Age. Only dinosaurs with the adaptations of feathers (and small enough to find sufficient food sources) would survive because feathers are excellent insulators to keep the warm in and the cold out(also works in reverse too).
TexasWes
I agree Miacps...some species would survive. Most notably may have well been the amphibians within the dino-era population. Using the "adapt-or-die" model that nature subjects most everything to, those living in areas with intense insect populations (i.e. swamps) would need to become resistant to certain insect-borne diseases. This may be an associative factor as to why modern amphibians and alligators have not only survived over a great amount of time, but have done so with relatively little change (comparing skeletons of fossils with modern day species).

Another possibility is a plant blight that either infected and/or killed the staple foods of these large land creatures. Either by lack of food, or by ingesting large quantities of (potentially) toxic plant pathogens, the dinos could have been subjected to a foodborne illness on a rather large scale.

I guess I'm just a meteor-theory skeptic, as there are 1) not a lot of impact craters across the globe that correlate to a single event (i.e. the angle of impact from all craters does not indicate a single event worldwide), 2) a meteor-winter (similar to a nuclear winter) would wipe out more than just the large dinos, and 3) it seems that the aquatic-based animals fared better than the land animals--except the aquatic-dinosaurs--which also disappeared completely.

Regardless...all posts here are valid--just impossible to actually prove with the current set of data that we possess. Good bar-room discussions.
ralphbefree
hard to say without knowing, i guess i need to clear up a couple of variables first:

where humans around during dinosaurs?

how long do you think thier life expectancy was and how many do you think there where?

i mean we find some bones and such but not really wide spread that account for millions of dinosaur species.?
miacps
TexasWes wrote:
I guess I'm just a meteor-theory skeptic, as there are 1) not a lot of impact craters across the globe that correlate to a single event (i.e. the angle of impact from all craters does not indicate a single event worldwide), 2) a meteor-winter (similar to a nuclear winter) would wipe out more than just the large dinos, and 3) it seems that the aquatic-based animals fared better than the land animals--except the aquatic-dinosaurs--which also disappeared completely.

Back then, wasn't there a single continent? In the amount of time since the dinos disappeared a lot has happened geographically and its possible that impact craters were covered up by volcanos, plate shifts, other natural geological events.

It was my understanding that a meteor from the past is what caused Earth's wobble so I would imagine that instead of a meteor winter, seasons would be created and cold blooded featherless animals never having coped with seasonal temp. changes would quickly die out(not to mention the plant life would also be a victim of seasonal change) unless by some miracle they migrated(having no seasons previously would mean there would be no instinct to migrate and they'd just wait around as it got colder and colder).

Well, just kicking around some ideas here. Would be interesting if we could just go back in time and see exactly what happened. Smile
Fright Knight
Quote:

Please use quote tags when posting other peoples work. Tags added by Moderating Team

There are three reasons why Dinosaurs became extinct. That's what i know so far. Here are the reasons:

Asteroid collision

The asteroid collision theory, which was first proposed by Walter Alvarez in the late 1970s, links the extinction event at the end of the Cretaceous period to a bolide impact approximately 65.5 million years ago. Alvarez proposed that a sudden increase in iridium levels, recorded around the world in the period's rock stratum, was direct evidence of the impact. The bulk of the evidence now suggests that a 5-15 km wide bolide hit in the vicinity of the Yucatán Peninsula, creating the 170 km-wide Chicxulub Crater and triggering the mass extinction. Scientists are not certain whether dinosaurs were thriving or declining before the impact event. Some scientists propose that the meteorite caused a long and unnatural drop in Earth's atmospheric temperature, while others claim that it would have instead created an unusual heat wave.

Although the speed of extinction cannot be deduced from the fossil record alone, various models suggest that the extinction was extremely rapid. The consensus among scientists who support this theory is that the impact caused extinctions both directly (by heat from the meteorite impact) and also indirectly (via a worldwide cooling brought about when matter ejected from the impact crater reflected thermal radiation from the sun).
Fright Knight
Quote:

Please use quote tags when posting other peoples work. Tags added by Moderating Team

Multiple collisions—the Oort cloud

While similar to Alvarez's impact theory (which involved a single asteroid or comet), this theory proposes that a stream of comets was dislodged from the Oort cloud due to the gravitational disruption caused by a passing star. One or more of these objects then collided with the Earth at approximately the same time, causing the worldwide extinction. As with the impact of a single asteroid, the end result of this comet bombardment would have been a sudden drop in global temperatures, followed by a protr
acted cool period.
Fright Knight
Quote:

Environment changes

At the peak of the dinosaur era, there were no polar ice caps, and sea levels are estimated to have been from 100 to 250 metres (330 to 820 feet) higher than they are today. The planet's temperature was also much more uniform, with only 25 degrees Celsius separating average polar temperatures from those at the equator. On average, atmospheric temperatures were also much warmer; the poles, for example, were 50 °C warmer than today.

The atmosphere's composition during the dinosaur era was vastly different as well. Carbon dioxide levels were up to 12 times higher than today's levels, and oxygen formed 32 to 35% of the atmosphere, as compared to 21% today. However, by the late Cretaceous, the environment was changing dramatically. Volcanic activity was decreasing, which led to a cooling trend as levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide dropped. Oxygen levels in the atmosphere also started to fluctuate and would ultimately fall considerably. Some scientists hypothesize that climate change, combined with lower oxygen levels, might have led directly to the demise of many species. If the dinosaurs had respiratory systems similar to those commonly found in modern birds, it may have been particularly difficult for them to cope with reduced respiratory efficiency, given the enormous oxygen demands of their very large bodies.
Fright Knight
Back in primary school, I heard that the reason why dinosaurs gone extinct was that when the meteor hit the earth, thick layers of dust were produced covering the earth atmosphere with it making it hard (or perhaps impossible for the rays of the sun to penetrate and give earth its warm light.) because of that, the earth gone cold and ice age started killing all the dinosaurs because of too much cold.

That's what I have heard.
peace.
globacide
I guess the asteroid theory is the most comprehensible and most likely to be true.
Here is a summary of it:
Quote:

The forum rules require the use of quote tags for copied material. Please use them in the future

The first people to suggest the asteroid theory were the team lead by Luis and Walter Alvarez. It has been calculated that a chondritic asteroid approximately 10km in diameter would contain enough iridium to account for the iridium spike contained in the clay layer. Since the original discovery of the iridium spike other evidence has come to light to support the asteroid theory. Analysis of the clay layer has revealed the presence of soot within the layer. It is thought that the presence of the soot comes from the very large global fires that would have been the result of the large temperatures caused by an impact. Something else that was found within the clay were quartz crystals that had been physically altered. This alteration only occurs under conditions of extreme temperature and pressure and quartz of this type is known as shocked quartz. Despite all of this evidence many geologists did not believe in this theory and many were saying 'show us the crater'.

In 1990 a scientist called Alan Hildebrand was looking over some old geophysical data that had been recorded by a group of geophysicists searching for oil in the Yucatan region of Mexico. Within the data he found evidence of what could have been an impact site. What he 'found' was a ring structure 180km in diameter which was called Chicxulub. The location of this structure was just off the northwest tip of the Yucatan Peninsula. The crater has been dated (using the 40Ar/39Ar method) as being 65 million years old. The size of the crater is comparable to that which would have been caused by an impacting body with a diameter of roughly 10km.So we now have some of the proof of the asteroid theory. We know that a chondritic meteorite with a diameter of 10km contains enough iridium to cause a spike. We also know that about 65 million years ago there was an impact of a large object. The big question is what were the results, and how did they effect the dinosaurs.

If a 10km diameter object impacted at the point at which it struck it would have a velocity of roughly 100,000 km/h. At this velocity there would have been an initial blast (with an estimated force of many millions of tons of TNT) which would have destroyed everything within a radius of between 400 and 500km, including the object. At the same time large fires would have been started by the intense shock wave which would have traveled long distances. Trillions of tons of debris (dust, gases and water vapour) would have been thrown into the atmosphere when the object vaporized. Many enormous tidal waves would be started causing even more damage, the evidence of such waves has been found all the way round the Gulf of Mexico. Along with the tidal waves the blast would also start a chain reaction of earthquakes and volcanic activity there would have also been very high winds caused by the blast. In the days and weeks following the impact the cloud of debris would have been carried over large distances by the post blast high winds. This will have caused months of darkness and a decrease in global temperatures. After this there would have been an increase in temperatures caused by the large amounts of CO2 released by what would have been global fires. Eventually this would cause chemical reactions that would result in the formation of acid rains.

I find this theory very well proved by lots of evidence, so it is almost impossible to deny.
Those dinosaurs were at the wrong place at the wrong time.
Heroin
I think that where was climate change and to that big meteorite crashed the Earth and all that get together and fore the result we have I mean we don`t have dinosaurs Very Happy
bhzh
I used to think that too when I was obsessed with Dinosaurs a couple years back. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that these days the huge meteorite theory is being shifted off to the side and scientists are saying it is a combination of volcanic activity and a climate shift cause by said activity that killed off the dinosaurs. But hey, either way, it looks like it is a climate change that did this. Really scary after the Day After Tomorrow eh? Smile
Shin
Meteors triggers climate change or more specifically ice-age. Hence no more or not enough food for the dinosaurs.
Yjaxygames
I suppose (we will never know for sure) that a meteor crashed into Earth, that killed many dinosaurs because of the shockwave and the impact of the meteor. The atmosphere was full of dirt dust, blocking the sun. This changed the climate on the entire planet. The rest of the dinosaurs died.
rightcity
Quote:

FriHost rules require the use of quote tags when copying and pasting articles

The asteroid collision theory, which was first proposed by Walter Alvarez in the late 1970s, links the extinction event at the end of the Cretaceous period to a bolide impact approximately 65.5 million years ago. Alvarez proposed that a sudden increase in iridium levels, recorded around the world in the period's rock stratum, was direct evidence of the impact. The bulk of the evidence now suggests that a 5-15 km wide bolide hit in the vicinity of the Yucatán Peninsula, creating the 170 km-wide Chicxulub Crater and triggering the mass extinction. Scientists are not certain whether dinosaurs were thriving or declining before the impact event. Some scientists propose that the meteorite caused a long and unnatural drop in Earth's atmospheric temperature, while others claim that it would have instead created an unusual heat wave.
roboguyspacedude
I think that it must have been a meteorite or comet because nothing else could have been so destructive.
Shake
I would go for a combination of factors, including new species being introduced to the land, forcing older species out, and possibly some massive event that happened to destroy much of Earth's lifeforms. What I find more appalling than the extinction of the dinosaurs is that there are so few mutations in the world today, considering our supposed evolutionary background. I believe in evolution, but I also wonder sometimes why the world isn't MORE diverse than it already is. Why don't unicorns exist? You'd think they would, with how far Earth has come.
sbel
Shake wrote:
I would go for a combination of factors, including new species being introduced to the land, forcing older species out, and possibly some massive event that happened to destroy much of Earth's lifeforms. What I find more appalling than the extinction of the dinosaurs is that there are so few mutations in the world today, considering our supposed evolutionary background. I believe in evolution, but I also wonder sometimes why the world isn't MORE diverse than it already is. Why don't unicorns exist? You'd think they would, with how far Earth has come.

As it's said, nature evolves through natural selection. Characteristics or other traits come into the picture coz they are needed ... stuff like that. So if there are unicorns, what's the horn for?

Speaking of climate change, it could be possible for an ice age to be launched since the last one was only 5degrees celcius lower than today's atmospheric temperature. and that due to global warming, we have increased to 2 degrees within the last couple of centuries
robohobo
They all went in a spaceship to the planet Crilon 4. I saw it all in an acid trip, it makes too much sense not to be right.
LostOverThere
ashen wrote:
But I think the most destructive event is when a big meteorite crush the land where the dinosaur live.

Dinosaurs lived all over the world, and it would have to be one crazy meteor to knock out all those dino's.
Kitten Kong
noone really knows why the dinosaurs went extinct, most of the hypothesized reasons have been listed above, and most likely it was a combination of all of them increasingly making life difficult for them to survive, maybe some of them evolved into life more suited to their new environment, but they had a good run, a few hundred million years. If mammals (let alone humans) make it anywhere near that as the dominant life on this planet I would be greatly surprised.
Holy
Wouldn't man have disappeared too with the dinosaurs? It's very strange. Probably one of the great mysteries that will never fully be uncovered. All we can do is just speculate.
ajithn
They might have died because of their fights. All the dinasor movies show how they fight and kill each other
bond4154
Dinosaurs, as reptiles, are actually quite generally resistant to climate changes, so it had to be something of a large climate change...and the meteorite theory, IMO, doesn't make sense; I cannot imagine a scenario with a meteorite that would change the climate across all of Earth so bad to warrant the extinction of so many dinosaurs. I'm actually more prone to believe it to be some sort of virus or disease that was passed on through the dinosaurs, affecting some lifeforms and neglecting others.
jongoldsz
Alkmania wrote:
Evolution sounds more likable rather than one comet that wiped out all dinosaurs but let the whole earth intact Confused Very Happy

Well, the other part of the theory was that the underground dwelling creatures survived, since it was warmer beneath the surface of the earth after the sun was blocked.(And creatures lived underground because they were scared of the dinosaurs.)
turbowolf
The comet collision is the main cause of the subsequent climate change.

But indeed the body of dinosaurs is too big to adapt the new climate.

ryukenden wrote:

What is your opinion?
Kitten Kong
Its perfectly reasonable to believe that a meteorite impact could wipe out the majority of life on earth and still leave the place intact, the impact itself is not what does the damage its the aftereffects, dust pushed into the atmosphere and staying there for years, blocking the sun, wiping out plants, animals, the wonder is that anything above bacteria survived.

Another possibility being studied is cosmic rays, for the most part the earths magnetic field deflects harmful radiation and protects us, but it is not impenetrable, every 62 million years our solar system does a revolution around our entire galaxy, at certain times the level of cosmic rays gets higher, higher than our magnetic field can easily protect us.

This is just another of the ideas being thrown around right now.

If you still don't believe that a meteor throwing up dust can cause mass extinction then look at an event as recent as 1815, a volcano in Indonesia erupted so violently that even in London the sky was covered for a year, crops died and so did thousands of hungry europeans. That was just a volcano, imagine a meteor impact powerful enough to leave craters such as the Chicxulub Crater. Further proof of the power of this is the 0.4mm layer of dust that can be found at almost every other point of earth from that time containing high amounts of Iridium, an element practically non-existent on earth but common is space.
roninmedia
I believe a space body impacted the Earth and induced climate change. The reason that the dinosaurs died while other species survived was the slow generation times and rate of reproduction of the dinosaurs. Remember that dinosaurs are more closely related to crocodiles than lizards despite their name meaning, "Thunder Lizard" and crocodiles have relatively long lives and don't reproduce as much lizards so with the large size of dinosaurs, it is exaggerated. And many reptiles, the temperature of the incubation can change the sex of the offspring during a certain period. A large temperature shift can create a massive imbalance in the sex ratio.

There may be even larger craters out there, but with time, they are largely covered up and so huge they are seen on ground level as a large basin. Remember, the Yellowstone Super Volcano Caldera was unknown until viewed from the air. It is large enough to fit the city of Tokyo in it.
knight_frost
No one lived that long, at the time when the dinosaurs roam the world. Infact the data we all have now are from bones or imprints they leave us. Many theories have popped up to become answers why they all die. And there were two predominant theories which I think where linked. The first theory was the climate change and the second is the meteorite explosion. The two events as scientist predicted happened simultaneously. Why the second theory which was the meteorite explosion was accepted because of proofs presented by scientist that certain minerals that found no similar composition anywhere in the globe was found so aboundantly in a certain part of the earth. This mineral is belived to come from the outerspace more like from a meteorite. THe explosion of the meteorite brought series of events at hand but it never wiped out all the dinosauria population. It was believed that after the explosion, climate change happen, more like a GLOBAL WARMING which resulted to a change of environment. But a proposal from the scientist that, this also was not only the reason of their extinction, since animals have an ability to adapt. Its a characterisitc that enables to live in any environment. The change of the climate did not kill the dinosauria population but it was the catalyst to their extinction. Prior to this many believed that the meteorite explosion does not only change the climate but there were event happened that where still under study. But the change of climate brought enough problems like food scarcity and abrupt change in environment which would some how alter the characteristic of the animal of the past. Maybe, on my part, they would have started killing each other which in turns help in their extinction..
poly
Yeah I think it was the meteor...
LostOverThere
Personally I think it was a Super Volcano such as Yellowstone erupted continuously causing rapid climate change.
chasbeen
Not all the dinasaurs were killed though. What about the Crocodile and the Comono dragons? These are not the biggest Dinasurs (Although at between 10 and 20 feet long there not small!) but they DID exist at the same time. You could say WHY DID SOME DINAUSAURS SURVIVE? Confused Shocked
starfish2007
i am still for the comenit or what ever that fall that cused it indirectaly since its hiting the earth and evenparishalyorfullyblocking thesun cused theclaimet tochange butit was theclimiet change that really killed them
Gagnar The Unruly
Wikipedia has very interesting things to say on the subject:

wikipedia wrote:
There do seem to be some general trends:

* Organisms which depended on photosynthesis became extinct or suffered heavy losses - from photosynthesing plankton (e.g. coccolithophorids) to land plants. And so did organisms whose food chain depended on photosynthesising organisms, e.g. tyrannosaurs (which ate vegetarian dinosaurs, which ate plants).
* Organisms which built calcium carbonate shells became extinct or suffered heavy losses (coccolithophorids; many groups of molluscs, including ammonites, rudists, freshwater snails and mussels). And so did organisms whose food chain depended on these calcium carbonate shell builders. For example it is thought that ammonites were the principal food of mosasaurs.
* Omnivores, insectivores and carrion-eaters appear to have survived quite well. It is worth noting that at the end of the Cretaceous there seem to have been no purely vegetarian or carnivorous mammals. Many mammals, and the birds which survived the extinction, fed on insects, larvae, worms, snails etc., which in turn fed on dead plant matter. So they survived the collapse of plant-based food chains because they lived in "detritus-based" food chains.
* In stream communities few groups of animals became extinct. Stream communities tend to be less reliant on food from living plants and are more dependent on detritus that washes in from land. The stream communities may also have been buffered from extinction by their reliance on detritus-based food chains. [4]
* Similar, but more complex patterns have been found in the oceans. For example, animals living in the water column are almost entirely dependent on primary production from living phytoplankton. Many animals living on or in the ocean floor feed on detritus, or at least can switch to detritus feeding. Extinction was more severe among those animals living in the water column than among animals living on or in the sea floor.
* No land animal larger than a cat survived.
* The largest air-breathing survivors, crocodilians and champsosaurs, were semi-aquatic. Modern crocodilians can live as scavengers and can survive for as long as a year without a meal. And modern crocodilians' young are small, grow slowly and feed largely on invertebrates for their first few years - so they rely on a detritus-based food chain.

Full article here

The asteroid impact fell out of favor until the impact site was discovered in the Yucatan penninsula. Since then it has gained pretty widespread acceptance, I think. No doubt an asteroid impact would've had an effect on the global climate, and that's what did the damage, perhaps combined with grave effects on photosynthetic organisms due to shading.

One interesting thing that sticks out to me is that the calcium-carbonate builders got hit so hard. I wonder if atmospheric CO2 rose sharply, perhaps due to the wildfires that the impact may have caused? (CO2 dissolves in the ocean to form carbonic acid, which corrodes calcium carbonate shells - another reason to fear modern increases in atmospheric CO2).
ratfungus
It was partially to do with meteors that resulted in a temperature rise and this rise in temperature caused a certain gas (I can't remember which gas) to be liberated (having been previously frozen in the cold depths of the worlds oceans) from the oceans and this, in turn, then lead to further temperature increases and it was this second round, so to speak, of temperature increases that put paid to most dinosaurs. As a previous post also said some dinosaurs survived and those that didn't took a long time (not in evolutionary terms - but in human terms) to die out (tens of thousands of years I believe). It was this global warming resulting in the demise of the dinosaur that resulted in the rise of the mammals. We (that is mammals) weren't superior - we just got lucky. Anyway that's my story and I'm sticking to it - I don't want Chuck Norris after me though. Very Happy
elite747
roboguyspacedude wrote:
I think that it must have been a meteorite or comet because nothing else could have been so destructive.

Yes, extreme climate change, such as global warming, is capable of equal and greater destruction than meteorites. Didn't you ever watch "The Day After Tomorrow"? At least, thats what I think happened. Something caused some major change in climate, causing unnatural events to happen in the atmosphere, and killing off the dinosaurs.
R-Jey
I totally agree to meteorit theory
durneata

Just my opinion, but that seems to most logical.

Isn't it amazing just to think that there were huge creaure roaming this world we live in?
denestry
Meteorite slammed into todays Yukatan peninsula. I think iridium proves it.
amicalindia
Ice age wiped them off just like it will wipe out current animal kingdom in next few centuries.

ryukenden wrote:

What is your opinion?
undergroundking_tourus
Because dinosaurs didnt signed the kyoto protocol
thinkfacility
I would agree with the climate change. However, the real question is, what CAUSED that climate change? It could be a variety of factors, meteor, aliens, all sorts of things...was it random chance though? Or was it on purpose from some sort of sentient species? I hear there was also an even more in-depth explanation.

Some scientist theorized that a meteor happened to knock loose a chain reaction that caused methane clouds to blaze over the planet released from the oceans and wiped out most of the organisms on the planet.
liljp617
Asteroid hitting near the Yucatan Peninsula, causing an extremely drastic climate change is quite plausible. There's plenty of evidence to support it...of course, there's nothing conclusive Razz
nepheus
They represent that a big meteor came to the Earth, shade the amosphere by dust. Thus, plants were died first, then were big types of animals, like dinosaur... To digg it, really hard 'cause all are supposition.
freegames
Evolution sounds more likable rather than one comet that wiped out all dinosaurs but let the whole earth intact
misterXY
[quote="DoctorBeaver"]
EekMan wrote:

Laughing
quote]

That's the most plausible theory I've heard for a very long time! Laughing

How about theres people who'd enjoy micheal moores company? all those cameras... all those "conspiracy" movies. if guns r bad, if bush is bad, if the hospitals in the united states are bad, how come i never see him doing anything about famine? afterall isnt that where alot of wars start from?

Oh about the dino's. money on my bet they turned into oprah Twisted Evil
quex
A new hypothesis suggests insects and the diseases they carried at the time may have been the actual mass killer of the dinosaurs.

Link here: Science Daily, January 4th, 2008

I personally would give some credence to this one... the extended die-off is better explained by disease than an asteroid.
Yjaxygames
freegames wrote:
Evolution sounds more likable rather than one comet that wiped out all dinosaurs but let the whole earth intact

Have you even thought this out for a second? "A meteor, as large as the state Texas" I always read. Would a meteor with that size be capable to blow the earth into tiny pieces? No. The atmosphere was very damaged, and it took a long time before it was solved.
amicalindia
ryukenden wrote:

What is your opinion?

I am a very good hunter.
I accept the responsibility.
amicalindia
fully and unconditionally Wink Laughing
xbcd
i have don't know about them disappearing but i saw this awesome episode on History or Discovery about how they made ways to genetically recreate Dino. Like animals. They added a bigger tail to chickens and then added sharp teeth etc.
jeremyp
ryukenden wrote:

What is your opinion?

All of the above.

The dinosaurs were in serious decline in terms of number of species for several hundred thousand years and then bam! The meteorite hit. That was probably enough to finish them off.
ciureanuc
"Dinosaurs disappeared million years ago and some said due to a meteorite (comet) or climate change...."
What is that: "dinosaurs"? A presumption, isn't it? Few bones putter together... and some IDEAS about what they were...
Well, for this presumptions you will find only... other presumptions! Smile
I am really interested what aliens think about The Statue of Liberty... Smile
quex
ciureanuc wrote:
"Dinosaurs disappeared million years ago and some said due to a meteorite (comet) or climate change...."
What is that: "dinosaurs"? A presumption, isn't it? Few bones putter together... and some IDEAS about what they were...

I really, really hope that's just snark... it's sad, but some folks in the US still vehemently believe that "dinosaurs" are "a trick of Satan." This fact frustrates me to no end. (How can a first-world country let its people wallow in ignorance like this?! Gaaaah!)
ciureanuc
I really, really hope that's just snark... it's sad, but some folks in the US still vehemently believe that "dinosaurs" are "a trick of Satan." This fact frustrates me to no end. (How can a first-world country let its people wallow in ignorance like this?! Gaaaah!)[/quote]

Dinosaurs are like axioms... you believe and that's it. Yes, I believe that they existed, no doubt, BUT... can you tell me that they were EXACTLY as they are presented in books?
Maybe I am too ignorant but it was discovered at least one full skeleton on dinosaur, or they "produce" stuff from "scraps"? How they do that? How they can be sure? ADN of the bones?
Bikerman
ciureanuc wrote:
Dinosaurs are like axioms... you believe and that's it. Yes, I believe that they existed, no doubt, BUT... can you tell me that they were EXACTLY as they are presented in books?
Maybe I am too ignorant but it was discovered at least one full skeleton on dinosaur, or they "produce" stuff from "scraps"? How they do that? How they can be sure? ADN of the bones?
Dinosaurs are not 'axiomatic'. We know they existed because there is a wealth of evidence to support the idea. There are many 'complete' skeletons of dinosaurs. No, we cannot be entirely sure that some depictions of Dinosaurs in books is accurare - some mistakes have certainly been made - the Brontosaurus for example. We can be reasonably certain, however, that the majority of our information on dinosaurs is correct, and mistakes, when found, are corrected. The major remaining area of uncertainty is the colour of dinosaurs since the original skins do not survive. There is some work on this being done, however.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinosaurs
quex
Thanks, Bikerman. ^^;
HDirtwater
Actually, it's been scientifically established by Gary Larson the real reason dinosaurs are no longer on the planet.

Alaskacameradude
A really big huge flood. That's my theory
miacps
Alaskacameradude wrote:
A really big huge flood. That's my theory

That still wouldn't explain why marine dinosaurs, such as plesiosaurs, ichthyosaurs, etc. became extinct.
Bikerman
The flood hypothesis doesn't work - on many levels. There is no physics which could explain a 'global' flood (where would the water come from and go to?). There is no geological evidence of such an event and the fossil record does not support the existence of such an event...
There have been many large floods in history - glacial ice-dam melts and seas spilling over land-barriers are two causes - these are only fairly recently being understood properly. Non of these, however, could account for a global extinction event such as we see with the Dinosaurs.
deanhills
I believe it was a gigantic event like a meteorite. The species could not survive the event. After the event it took a long while for the world to return to normal, and possibly what is normal to us, would have been inhabitable circumstances for dinosaurs. I wonder whether if we had been in existence then, if we would have been the same gigantic size as they were. As maybe they were in size proportion of how the world had been at that time.

Makes one marvel and wonder anew of exactly where we are from. One thing for certain, we would not have survived alongside giants like that. As we are today, we would not have fitted in the order of things then. Or would we have? Mystery of life, and great that we can wonder and make theories and puzzle over all of this.
Wuppie
I have seen and read a lot about dinosaurs and how they dissapeared from earth, and I think the best explanation is that a big meteor crashed into the earth, creating a shockwave, much floods and the atmosphere got filled with dust and other stuff so the sun couldn't get through, which caused a major climate change. Many large animals, like the dinosaurs, died, smaller animals could survive more easily, and after many years the atmoshpere restored. Many animals died because they couldn't adapt to the new circumstances. The animals that could adapt, survived.
Of course it is more detailed than I am telling it but I think this is a good theory. But we'll never know for sure.
pmehta51
There was no dinosaur in the world. It is all fiction. All created imagination.
Bikerman
pmehta51 wrote:
There was no dinosaur in the world. It is all fiction. All created imagination.

Err...I'm not sure how to even start dealing with that. Do you have any evidence for your statement?
rheanna
lol , it's all speculation because no one was around when they did disappear! lol But, I love reading the theory's haha But, GODZILLA STILL EXSISTS!!!!!!!!!!

pmehta51----They do have the bones so I think that's your evidence there.
saratdear
I believe in the meteorite theory.

Has anyone read Megamorphs : At the Time of Dinosaurs? Although it is all fiction, I loved reading the theory of extinction of dinosaurs in that book as well.
flyfamilyguy
ryukenden wrote:

What is your opinion?

The extinction of Dinosaurs has NOTHING to do with either. God destroyed life via the flood. It was His doing, and His alone.

(You probably believe that humans came from lots of molicules, and 'goo', that just happened to meet up one day and 'BAM'..there is man!)

Have some respect for your very creation, and stop tossing out these Bullshit theory's!
miacps
flyfamilyguy wrote:
ryukenden wrote:

What is your opinion?

The extinction of Dinosaurs has NOTHING to do with either. God destroyed life via the flood. It was His doing, and His alone.

(You probably believe that humans came from lots of molicules, and 'goo', that just happened to meet up one day and 'BAM'..there is man!)

Have some respect for your very creation, and stop tossing out these Bullshit theory's!

Get an education. Rolling Eyes
Bikerman
flyfamilyguy wrote:
And your proof for this amazing claim is? Ahh...the Bible I presume. Let's ignore the fact that it's physically impossible to build a 450ft long wooden boat. Let's overlook the ridiculous notion that man was romping around with the Dinosaurs. Let's turn a blind eye to the fact that no hominid fossils of any sort have ever been found in the same layers as Dinosaur fossils. Let's forget about where the water came from and where it went. Let's not ask what happened to all the plants. Let's ignore the fact that places like Australia have species which couldn't have got there from the middle-east. Let's pretend radiometric dating is just a big science conspiracy.
Let's just believe the bible...eh? LOL. But wait, which flood story should we plump for? The Sumerian Eridu Genesis myth from about 17 centuries BCE? The Akkadian Atrahasis from around the same era? The Hebrew Biblical myth (which was probably lifted from a mixture of the previous two)?
Quote:
Err..no. Nor do I believe we came from a handful of clay and the sky-fairy.
It's called evolution - look it up some time.
Quote:
ROFLMAO. Who said creationists have no sense of irony?

If you leave aside the nonsense of the flood myth (forget this 'global flood' nonsense - didn't happen), and concentrate on the history, then it gets more interesting. The sheer number of different flood stories makes it likely that there was indeed some sort of catastrophic flood in the past. The best candidate at the moment is a flooding of the Black Sea about 5600BCE.
http://www.religioustolerance.org/ev_noah.htm
flyfamilyguy
Thank you bikerman!
I never heard of anything that you wrote of before now. YOU have enlightened me; lol!!!!
Bikerman
flyfamilyguy wrote:
Thank you bikerman!
I never heard of anything that you wrote of before now. YOU have enlightened me; lol!!!!

I am always happy to teach - it is largely my role in life Smile
Denvis
Oh no, it is neither of the above. I has to be god the creator of all living creatures. *Rolls eyes* He decided that the dinos were too much and with a click of his fingers he decided to kill them off.
flyfamilyguy
Denvis wrote:
Oh no, it is neither of the above. I has to be god the creator of all living creatures. *Rolls eyes* He decided that the dinos were too much and with a click of his fingers he decided to kill them off.

Well, I guess that is correct; in a way. God Created this earth, and then set it in motion via laws that he established. One of those laws is 'Natural Selection'. So you COULD say that he "clicked" his fingers yes. Because he CAN, and HAS ended life in an instant. But more than likely, because of 'Natural Selection' the "dinos" ceased to exist over a period of time. This did not take place with the "click" of a finger; which implies instantly.

Keep in mind that what God has set in motion may not play out until long after YOU have ceased to exist. If dinosaurs could have communicated like we do, I'm sure that there would have been skeptics among them. They may have said that "The little hairy, two legged freak that throws spears at us is just a nuisance. Why does this thing even exist? Because WE rule this place!"

Don't be so arrogant as to believe that YOU are some superior being that came to exist via some kind of cosmic soup. YOU are just part of the whole!
Bikerman
Quote:
If dinosaurs could have communicated like we do, I'm sure that there would have been skeptics among them. They may have said that "The little hairy, two legged freak that throws spears at us is just a nuisance. Why does this thing even exist? Because WE rule this place!"

Not really. You have to understand the timescales. There were no humans around during the time of the Dinosaurs - the nearest thing to a human in that epoch would have been a small shrew-like mammal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_evolution
Solon_Poledourus
Oh I love this one. God made the dinosaurs, then in all his infallable wisdom, decided he didn't want them anymore. Wait... doesn't that mean that God isn't infallable? God knows the future, and surely he would have never made the dinosaurs knowing one day he wouldn't need them anymore, right? Just like he made Adam, not realizing in all his wisdom that Adam was going to be unhappy without a mate, thus making Eve as an afterthought, only after Adam complained. Riiiigggghhhht. And all this supposedly took place what, like 10,000 years ago? Or less?
On that note, allow me to mention something that we can actually prove. Light. It moves at about 186,282 miles per second. This is a known fact, as it can be tested and proven. Now, another thing that can be measured is the distance to a bright object in the sky, such as stars, or more importantly, the Andromeda Galaxy. The distance to Andromeda, which has been verified, is 14,696,563,432,959,020,000 miles.
Stay with me...
Now if we can see the light from Andromeda(which we can), that means the light has reached us. And since light travels at a speed of about 186,282 miles per second, and it had to travel 14,696,563,432,959,020,000 miles, how long did it take to reach your eyes?
The answer is two and a half million years. The fact that you can see Andromeda, is measurable, physical proof that the Universe and all it's wonders are older than the biblical 10,000(roughly) years. Your own eyes disprove the biblical creation timeline. Ain't that a bi*ch?
Next, the Great Flood. If there were enough water falling to cover the entire Earth 40 feet deep, it would raise atmospheric pressure to the point that oxygen and nitrogen levels would be toxic, killing all human and animal life. Also, as someone has stated, the logistics of building a boat to house as many animals as the bible claims is physically impossible. And assuming that it were possible, and that it happened in relatively recent times, geologically speaking(even 20,000 years ago), the boat would have left behind a HUGE ammount of evidence.
The most evidence for "global" flooding comes from flood myths all around the world. These coincide with many different localized floods, which happened for different reasons, during and around the last glacial maximum, when ice sheets around the world began to melt and release onto great plains and inundate deltas and rivers(which, coincidentally, is where most ancient people lived, due to the fertile land which promoted farming and therefor city building).
The bible is just one of many ancient collections of writings by people who did not understand geological or astronomical events, and attempted to explain such things. Sadly, the bible is one of the most inaccurate of all the ancient books regarding human history. Many other cultures believed that the Earth(or their immediate existence) has been destroyed a number of times, which is supported by geological study.
So take your little book with a grain of salt, it has some truth to it, but is seriously lacking in facts.
Bikerman
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
On that note, allow me to mention something that we can actually prove. Light. It moves at about 186,282 miles per second. This is a known fact, as it can be tested and proven.
Ahh, but the creationist will say (and they DO say this, believe me) that light has been constantly slowing down since creation and it used to go much much faster. This accounts for why we can see galaxies which are apparently billions of light years apart (don't laugh - this is really what they propose).

Now, the scientist can reply in two ways:
1)
a. Point out that there has been no recorded change in the speed of light over the last century and that any massive downward trend, over a timeperiod as small as 10,000 years, would certainly be detectable over a century.
b. Point out that the speed of light emerges naturally from Maxwell's equations and is not simply some arbitrary value.
c. Point out that any such variation would introduce shifts in the spectral lines of distantly observed galaxies and quasars. Needless to say, no such variation occurs - only normal and predictable red/blue shift.
d. Point out that other physical constants (the fine structure constant & the charge on an electron being two that spring to mind) are related to c. If c changes then these physical constants will also change and produce very noticable results (we wouldn't be here, for one).

or there again you could simply

2) Laugh and point at the loonies.
Solon_Poledourus
Bikerman wrote:
Ahh, but the creationist will say (and they DO say this, believe me) that light has been constantly slowing down since creation and it used to go much much faster. This accounts for why we can see galaxies which are apparently billions of light years apart (don't laugh - this is really what they propose).

Except for one glaring problem, aside from the fact that this phenomenon has never been observed. They have no writing in their books to tell them that light has been slowing down. So them even mentioning that is just... well... making sh*t up.
Which shouldn't be a surprise, since they have been making sh*t up for centuries. If science disproves what their book says, they just make something up out of thin air. It's almost a doctrine unto itself.
As far as the dinosaurs going extinct... the scientific majority says it was most likely an Earth shaking impact. I'm inclined to believe that, as there is plenty of evidence of it. I'd even go for a massive climate change, or pandemic, or anything else as long as the theory holds water. But this whole "sky fairy" theory has got to stop. I mean, is there anything else from the stone age that we still cling to as much as religion?
Bikerman
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
Except for one glaring problem, aside from the fact that this phenomenon has never been observed. They have no writing in their books to tell them that light has been slowing down. So them even mentioning that is just... well... making sh*t up.
Which shouldn't be a surprise, since they have been making sh*t up for centuries. If science disproves what their book says, they just make something up out of thin air. It's almost a doctrine unto itself.

What you are describing is 'theology' - the art of making stuff up to fit a particular scriptural source or sources.
flyfamilyguy
Bikerman wrote:
Quote:
If dinosaurs could have communicated like we do, I'm sure that there would have been skeptics among them. They may have said that "The little hairy, two legged freak that throws spears at us is just a nuisance. Why does this thing even exist? Because WE rule this place!"

Not really. You have to understand the timescales. There were no humans around during the time of the Dinosaurs - the nearest thing to a human in that epoch would have been a small shrew-like mammal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_evolution

I seriously doubt that.
flyfamilyguy
Wow.,we seem to all be so much smarter than God!
Solon_Poledourus
flyfamilyguy wrote:
Wow.,we seem to all be so much smarter than God!

Well, let's consider the source material.
If I created a planet, and all the living things on it, I would certainly have the foresight to give the highest life form a mate, as I did with all the rest. But this was not the case, according to the bible. Adam had to complain about being the only living creature without a mate before god finally made Eve as an afterthought. Did god forget to make a woman right away?
the book of the sky fairy wrote:
GENESIS 2:19 - 2:22 - Now the LORD God had formed out of the ground all the beasts of the field and all the birds of the air. He brought them to the man to see what he would name them; and whatever the man called each living creature, that was its name. So the man gave names to all the livestock, the birds of the air and all the beasts of the field.
But for Adam no suitable helper was found. So the LORD God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man's ribs and closed up the place with flesh. Then the LORD God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.

In all his great wisdom, knowing the future and everything that shall come to pass, god saw fit to give every creature a mate, but somehow failed to see that his most precious creation, Adam, would want a mate as well.
So yes, I really am smarter than god.
fx-trading-education
I like the posts above Smile

And in his great wisdom Got created dinosaurs knowing of course that he will destroy them later.
Isn't it just pure cruelty?

So we are not only smarter but also much better as many of us won't just create something just for the pleasure to destroy it. Very Happy
Solon_Poledourus
fx-trading-education wrote:
So we are not only smarter but also much better as many of us won't just create something just for the pleasure to destroy it.

One only needs to read the book of Job in order to realize how cruel god is.
a bunch of iron age fiction authors wrote:
JOB 1:6 - 1:12 - One day the angels came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came with them. The LORD said to Satan, "Where have you come from?"
Satan answered the LORD, "From roaming through the earth and going back and forth in it."
Then the LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil."

"Does Job fear God for nothing?" Satan replied. "Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land. But stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face."

The LORD said to Satan, "Very well, then, everything he has is in your hands, but on the man himself do not lay a finger."
Then Satan went out from the presence of the LORD.

So here, god and satan are basically making a cruel bet on whether or not this Job guy "fears" god out of genuine faith, or simply because god gives him a good life. God allowed satan to take everything from Job, to torment him, to make him weep and even curse the day of his own birth. Job was depressed and knew that he had done nothing to deserve any of this, yet he still felt ashamed and confused about which sin he had committed. He had not sinned. This was all done, simply so god could prove a point to satan. It's a disgusting story of cruelty and indignity that speaks volumes about god. Some people say "but it was satan that was cruel to Job, not god". The fact is, god tortured Job by proxy, simply by allowing satan to do it.
It begs the question: Why did god, who knows everything, feel the need to go to such great lengths just to prove something to satan? And why does god feel that it's OK to treat his most faithful and loyal human servant this way, and then expect nothing short of blind worship and reverence in return?
I honestly don't know how christians can read that drivel and then continue worshiping such a brutal monster.
miacps
Solon_Poledourus wrote:
I honestly don't know how christians can read that drivel and then continue worshiping such a brutal monster.

Well the things is, most of them don't read it. The ones that do read the bible and find no problems with the material have applied a sort of filter that restricts them from doing any critical thinking (they mustn't allow themselves to second guess their god for fear of consequences).

It's really a brilliant mechanism but doesn't reflect well on the followers. They're basically mindless when it comes to what they would consider the most important thing in the world.
flyfamilyguy
"Now the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him; and he cannot know them, because they are spiritually judged."
(1 Cor. 2:14)

“Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap." (Galatians 6:7)

Your time will come. And THEN you will realize just how wrong you were.
Solon_Poledourus
flyfamilyguy wrote:

So the only time you can prove how wrong I am is when I'm dead. How... convenient. I guess it removes the burden of having to provide evidence of an afterlife. Reminds me alot of the snake-oil salesmen of the American Wild West.
To quote Jack Nicholson, "Sell 'crazy' some place else, we're all stocked up here".
flyfamilyguy
flyfamilyguy wrote:

Solon_Poledourus wrote:
So the only time you can prove how wrong I am is when I'm dead.

I'm not here to "prove' anything to you. These words are not my own. And where did I mention that you would be "dead"? You are living proof of your own mistakes. You have just not suffered them yet.
miacps
flyfamilyguy wrote:
flyfamilyguy wrote:

Solon_Poledourus wrote:
So the only time you can prove how wrong I am is when I'm dead.

I'm not here to "prove' anything to you. These words are not my own.

That's right, they're the words of an ancient people who thought the earth was flat, evil spirits caused disease and hadn't the slightest clue about many natural phenomenon (earthquakes, eclipses, volcanoes, lightning, etc.). That's why they don't make any sense. They were completely ignorant of how the natural world works.

The idea of a God is still another one of these crazy ideas and should be obvious when you look at the big picture.

Perhaps we should move this discussion to the religion forum. Question
Solon_Poledourus
flyfamilyguy wrote:
I'm not here to "prove' anything to you.

So why are you here then? Just to spam your Iron-Age mysticism?
flyfamilyguy wrote:
These words are not my own.

Obviously. You just regurgitate the words of primitive humans without giving any insight of your own.
flyfamilyguy wrote:
And where did I mention that you would be "dead"?

In the following quote you state my time will come(which implies death), then you state that I will realize how wrong I was(thus proving how right you are):
flyfamilyguy wrote:

flyfamilyguy wrote:
You are living proof of your own mistakes. You have just not suffered them yet.

And that last one just makes no sense at all. Living proof of my own mistakes? How so? I have not suffered them yet? Are you saying that I'll suffer my mistakes in the afterlife?

At any rate, this thread was about how the dinosaurs died. Much evidence has been given to support very logical explanations for their extinction. If you'd like to refute the theories by which the vast majority of the scientific community believes they died, then by all means do so. If your only counter argument is this:
flyfamilyguy wrote:

Then you are not providing a counter argument at all. You need to provide evidence, and prove your claim. Otherwise, you are simply spamming religious drivel on a thread which has nothing to do with religion.
ortie10
They killed themselves off after series of catastrophic events reduced their population. Kinda what might happen to us! Shocked
Alaskacameradude
They all died........
Smile
dehv3
I would have to say that I don't really believe that the dinosaurs have ever become extinct - today's birds are simply the progeny that survived the changes that happened - likely started due to at least one large meteor impact (some archaeologists believe that it was multiple meteors).

I thought that they all died from smoking cigarettes (Far Side cartoon by Gary Larson).

I believe that ultimately, the inability of the classic dinosaurs to adapt to global climate change caused their extinction. If you can say that dinosaurs classically have no feathers - and that feathered dinosaurs are not dinosaurs -- then I have no argument other than many feathered dinosaurs have been found (and several fakes have made the scientists look bad with the National Geographic enthusiasm to print the findings).

Mass extinctions have happened many times before and since the mass extinction that finalized the fate of the classic dinosaurs. Climate change usually due to volcanic activity has been linked to just about all of the mass extinctions. The food chain breaks down when foundation foods can not survive the new weather. Larger animals that ate their veggies -- would thin out depending on how diverse of a diet they had, and larger meat-eaters would be the next to die off if the herbivores couldn't survive.

There is a lot of recent evidence that shows that smaller feathered dinosaurs lived on and due to the massive change of environment, survivors were quickly narrowed down to only the most bird-like progeny.

I have to wonder why the feathered ones survived - and the large pterodactyl type died off. This must suggest that the food source for the "birds" was sufficient throughout the time following the big global climate change(s), but the food for the larger pterodactyl was either becoming extinct, or competition for remaining food sources was too great for them to overcome.

I just finished reading "Origin of Species" by Darwin, and it really makes you understand the problems that theories based on geological record have. He really explains how fossils of one species could be plentiful in one area, and not found above that layer -- but still proves that the animal in question could have simply avoided the conditions that make fossils (geological lifts cause more deposits in some areas, but the duration of deposits is limited to the amount of silt that is available to cover any bones).
guth75
Global Warming/Freezing Very Happy Just kidding, I think anything could have happened, they could have just died off, but I highly doubt it, it just doesn't seem believable to me.

Just my little opinion, and I don't think that it will make a big/huge/quite large difference Laughing
pscompanies
The meteor theory is pretty strong, scientists have even identified what they believe to be the impact crater in the Gulf of Mexico along the northern edge of the Yucatan Penesula. The impact would have caused an artificial winter that would have lasted for years. No sunlight, no growing season, no food. All that would be left are bugs that can live off carcases, creatures that could hibernate for long stretches, or little mammals that had stores of nuts and seeds. If the super-volcano at Yellowstone were to erupt, it would have the same effect. The meter long insects that someone mentioned were actually from before dinosours. They lived during the carboniforous period, which was an extremely warm period during earth's history. I remember reading that there was something like 700 times the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere than there is today. Greenhouse warming to the extreme. It was a tropical paradise for gigantic bugs, though.