FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

[Need Advice] - Guitar + Amp, which One?

violetgnu
Hey, I'm looking for a new electric guitar and an amp. I had an Squier Stratocaster, until it was errantly traded by a sibling for a console that I don't actually have.

[About the Guitar]

Anyhow, I would like to get a mid quality type guitar, something between 200 - 600 Canadian. I play every genre of rock and metal, pretty much. I would prefer a guitar with a whammy bar, but it's not entirely necessary. Was looking at the Gibson [edit: an Epi] Les Paul Standard, anyone have one/know if it's a particularily good choice?

[About the Amp]

Alright, about the amp I'm pretty much lost. I had a little Marshall practice amp, and I'm looking for something around the same size. Any recommendations for amps?

Any help would be very greatly appreciated!
The Mitchell
probably a epi les paul studio for about 3300-400 (sorry i dunno about candian dollars etc) and then get some decent buckers in there then crank it through some valves id say check out the diago cube amps. great little things but can be a little expensive although they double as a very small backline amp too. Pack some serious power for a small amp. What kinda money you looking at and what kinda size amp you want 15w, 30w, 60w, 100w or even head and cab setup. Depends what you need it for buddy
violetgnu
The amp is pretty much solely for practice. I don't currently play with a drummer, so I don't need a lot of volume. I did some looking around today and am looking at the Roland Micro Cube. It's conveniently portable, and does have a pretty decent sound too. (not great, but for a foot cubed is good). Anyone ever used one of these?
Oh, and for the amp I've got a budget of 200 - 400 dollars.

Update on the guitar: Thinking of a Tokai Les Paul. Some Japanese copy. I heard it was better quality than the Epi, but a similar price. Do you know if this is true?
The Mitchell
the roland cube amps are pretty nice seems like you have that sussed. Guitar wise thats total crap im afraid. someone is telling you stories. The epi les pauls are made by gibsons and are very close to the standard of the legendary gibsons. Check out the Epi SG400 too. very nice guitars. Im a little biased on metal guitars as i dont really like silly pointy things with really tinny thin pickups like explorer standards and those ridiculous BC Rich piles of wank and the like. I tend to prefer more classic shapes like the LP or SG but these tend to be the types of guitar where the tone and sustain comes mainly from the body. The pickups should always be an afterthough and chosen to suit the style of play and amp setup etc. For example if you want a thin numetal type tone dont just think "ok epiphone explorer with big marshall digital dist" Think more along the lines of ok well i want something thats gonna really cut through the mix for solos but sound big on chords. So pick your body by going out and trying a few guitars see how they play. When you find a guitar that feels comfortable to play buy it. (Check the wood and craftsmanship of the build more than anything so something like mahagony is a good solid wood and will give a lot of sustain and tone to guitar.) Once youve picked the body selesct some pickups. Seymour duncans are always classic. The pear;ly gates are great for a grunty bluesy overdriven sounds. EMG do some great pickups which will give you more clarity in the top end around about 1-2khzish. Little things like this make all the difference as that slight boost in that frequency range could be the difference between having a quiet solo with a really muddy low end and having a solo which cuts through the mix just enough to fit the song but without the bass resonance.

My best advice spend as much time as you can trying out different guitars with different pickups and THEN and ONLY THEN choose your amp. Dont go out and buy an amp before you get your guitar as you may find your new spangly guitar wont sound as nice through your new amp. Also dont choose your amp to match your guitar either. stating the obvious a bit but you prob wont have that guitar forever whereas i tend to find amps stay. Ive been through 4 guitars and 2 basses. Ive also tried many many amps. The ones i have now i have been using for 4 years and wouldnt get rid unless i had a serious wad of cash to spend on something awesome like an ampeg.
violetgnu
Thanks a lot for your help, the details are extraordinarily excellent! (Hell, I'll probably end up printing this topic out for later reference). I'll probably end up going with an Epi, saw a pretty decent one for 550 Canadian at one of our local guitar stores.
hsadmin
Well if your new.. Check out the Ibanez RG series guitars, cheap guitars, and very nice for the price. As for an amp, you should check out the Line 6 Spider III's and Spider II's. If your looking to spend a lot on top of the line stuff, can't go wrong with a big bad Line 6 Vetta II!
Srs2388
I just read this, I'll tell you one of my guitars and one of my amps... Both sound excellent...
First off, the Yamaha Pacifica guitar is a great guitar. It has a whammy bar that you were wanting, the whammy on mine is very easy to use, it doesn't make it go out of tune either.
I can bend it up and down **its a floating trem**
Which is excellent for soloing.
As for an amp, there are many choices... I'll tell you one of mine yet again... lol
A fender Fm15 DSP Great amp, loaded with built in effects, great tone, and it packs a punch for its size, (as do most fender products)
If you are into metal, just select metal distortoin
it has several amp models too, just select the style you want...
you can easily switch from a metal to acoustic tone.
*yes it has an acoustic simulator*

If you get this, I am sure you will love it Very Happy
drioo
Srs2388 wrote:
I just read this, I'll tell you one of my guitars and one of my amps... Both sound excellent...
First off, the Yamaha Pacifica guitar is a great guitar. It has a whammy bar that you were wanting, the whammy on mine is very easy to use, it doesn't make it go out of tune either.
I can bend it up and down **its a floating trem**
Which is excellent for soloing.
As for an amp, there are many choices... I'll tell you one of mine yet again... lol
A fender Fm15 DSP Great amp, loaded with built in effects, great tone, and it packs a punch for its size, (as do most fender products)
If you are into metal, just select metal distortoin
it has several amp models too, just select the style you want...
you can easily switch from a metal to acoustic tone.
*yes it has an acoustic simulator*

If you get this, I am sure you will love it Very Happy

I agree with you about the amp Smile
violetgnu
[Update]

So, I went to a few different guitar stores, printed out thread in hand, and tried out the Ibanez, the Yamaha (Tom Lee loves Yamaha), the Epi Les Paul standard, SG, Gold Topped 1956 Reissue, and a Gibson Studio Edition Les Paul (for the fun of it, couldn't afford it though). I have very small hands, so the Epi SG was the actually easiest for me to play (had two cutaways too). I didn't really like the Yamaha or the Ibanez, thought the sound was a little tinny and shallow (former piano player, I like depth in my instruments). I also had a friend's Tokai Les Paul Standard, which I had borrowed and brought to the stores (considering buying it off of him). There were two things that I was somewhat surprised by. First of all, the neck of the Tokai is thicker than the Epis. The second was that I actually liked the sound of the Tokai better than everything but the Gibson Studio Edition (which was better) and the Gold Topped Reissue (which was about the same, possibly slightly better, but also 200 dollars more).

I tried out the most of the guitars on the same Epiphone tube amp, which was cool. I did end up buying the Roland Micro Cube! It's perfect, because I take the people's vehical - not the Volkswagen, the bus.

And...the guitar I eventually picked...

The Tokai Les Paul Standard

I'd like to thank everyone for being extraordinarily helpful, there is a lot of very awesome guitar buying advice here!