FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Setting up a dual-boot... help?

Fire Boar
Could someone give me some idea of what's going on with my computer? I am trying to install Windows XP Professional on my computer, currently running XP Home. I've partitioned my hard drive using Gnome Partition Manager (brilliant utility) into three sections: C:\ E:\ and F:\, with sizes of 100GB, 90GB and 90GB respectively. I'm planning on installing XP Pro into drive F.

Well, I booted from the CD, and it came up with XP Professional setup. I went along with it until it came to the "select partition" screen. On that screen, just one partition called C, and no free space showed up. What's more bemusing, it claimed that there were 131072MBs of total space in that partition (that's exactly 128GB), with 131071MBs free.

So it reckons that I have a 128GB hard drive, completely formatted, with no partitions made to it. In reality, I have a 280GB hard drive, with three partitions, one of which is being used and has nearly 50GB of data on it at the moment.

Confused
{name here}
Fire Boar wrote:
Could someone give me some idea of what's going on with my computer? I am trying to install Windows XP Professional on my computer, currently running XP Home. I've partitioned my hard drive using Gnome Partition Manager (brilliant utility) into three sections: C:\ E:\ and F:\, with sizes of 100GB, 90GB and 90GB respectively. I'm planning on installing XP Pro into drive F.

Well, I booted from the CD, and it came up with XP Professional setup. I went along with it until it came to the "select partition" screen. On that screen, just one partition called C, and no free space showed up. What's more bemusing, it claimed that there were 131072MBs of total space in that partition (that's exactly 128GB), with 131071MBs free.

So it reckons that I have a 128GB hard drive, completely formatted, with no partitions made to it. In reality, I have a 280GB hard drive, with three partitions, one of which is being used and has nearly 50GB of data on it at the moment.

Confused

Very, very strange. You might have corrupt partitions. Try repartitioning. I hope you backed up, because there is a very slight chance your data will go down the tubes. Try it with different partition managers.
Straevaras
For Partitioner's I recommend using Partition Magic 8.0. Other partitioner's just as the Gnome Partition Manager and GParted are destructive partitioners, while Partition Magic isn't.

Another thing you could do, is just erase the two new partitions you made, leaving it as unallocated space. Windows Setup should know what to do with unallocated space.
blueray
The original windows xp professional does't support large drive. So, if you do want to build a
partition table with your style. You should merge the windows xp sp2 to the source windows xp files
first, then, installing windows xp from that merged-windows source.

1.) Copy the windows xp files from cd-rom in the i386 folder to a folder in your hard drive.
2.) Download the windows xp sp2 archive file from m$ website and extract it.
3.) run the update.exe with the option /slip to merge the files to the source windows xp files.

PLEASE BE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT THE ARTICLE SAY, IF YOU DON'T, PLEASE POST HERE

This is a link for your reference.
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B303013&x=13&y=15

Hope this help,
Eric,