FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Hotmail to get Storage Boost

n0obie4life
Betanews wrote:

BetaNews has learned that Microsoft is expected to begin its rollout of the next version of Hotmail, possibly as early as Wednesday. Code-named "Kahuna," this version of Hotmail will sport a new style of interface, automatic inbox refreshing and a preview pane that will enable Hotmail users to read and respond to e-mail without ever leaving their inbox.

The announcement could come in tandem with announcements on the betas of Internet Explorer 7 and Windows Vista, both of which are expected to be released sometime Wednesday.

Included with the upgrade is a bump of the storage space for free users to two gigabytes, of which several sources told BetaNews they had seen storage increases in their accounts. The increased storage space would put it on a more equal footing with its competitors. Google's Gmail offers 2GB, as does Yahoo! Mail.

The latest version of Hotmail would also include upgrades to Microsoft's Sender ID technology. Sender ID has been pushed by the Redmond company as a way cut down on the number of spam messages and phishing attacks flooding customer inboxes. It has received the backing of companies such as America Online, especially following the company's move to open it up to be compatible with competing anti-spam technologies.

Sender ID has already been live in the production version of Hotmail since January of this year.

Recognizing that it is behind in several key areas, Microsoft has engineered the next wave of Hotmail, allegedly referred to as the "competitive wave," in a methodical push to meet or exceed the competition.

Microsoft is thinking of crappier names ? Kahuna, whats that suppose to meannn?
mOrpheuS
I wonder what M$ did to be hated like this... windows 95 ?

not just their software, but even their codenames are being proclaimed "crappy" at the first glance !

anyhow, here you are - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kahuna
wikipedia.org wrote:
In some computer programming shops (for example, IBM), "Kahuna" is a synonym for "wizard" or "guru"
yjwong
But how does that link to the email?
Mickey
yjwong wrote:
But how does that link to the email?

also me
gonzo
let's take a moment to reflect on how long it took to implement the first round of storage space increase....
damj
Forget windows 95 ... I still haven't forgiven them for Windows ME!!! Mad
S3nd K3ys
damj wrote:

Um, ME came out AFTER '95. Wink

Quote:
and a preview pane that will enable Hotmail users to read and respond to e-mail without ever leaving their inbox.

Great, now 'tainted' emails will be launched by simply clicking on it. Same bad plan as Outlook Express. Rolling Eyes
damj
I was willing to forgive them for 95 .... but not ME! Actually 95 was a better OS IMHO.

-d
lpbrasil
i use my hotmail only for MSN messenger, because i prefer the Gmail, he have 2.5GB Very Happy
damj
I too use hotmail because it's convienient ... instant access to e-mail at work or at home.

It's amazing that M$ can come out with inferior products, but do it in a way that we just can't see to live without. I think that crack cocaine is less addicting Laughing
mohamed
they needed the increase really. My morning worth of spam is enough to fill up the 5mb or space previously.

the 2nd increase to the GB territorry is quite useful although i would only assume that the attachment restriction will be just as tight as it is.
beefstewe
Let's just wait and see, and don't jump to conclusions too quickly Very Happy i'm still keeping my hotmail account
Spyder
Ya, I will still use hotmail and gmail at the same time. I love both them.
gonzo

http://freepops.org/en/

all the benefits of free email with less hassle
izcool
Well if you look at it this way, Windows 95 was such an improvement compared to Windows 3.1. Windows 95 changed the ways of the Windows operating systems ever since, despite the fact that you guys are comparing Windows 95 to something like today, of course it would be less useful. I would much rathar use Windows 95 than Windows 3.1, if you catch my drift. Rolling Eyes Sorry for hijacking this thread and diverging it away from the topic of eMail.

- Mike.
charliehk
Too late for MS to boost the storage!

Why use hotmail and not GMail or Yahoo?

But for OS, it is another matter, since we could just choose between Linux and Windows!
Cryptz
free 2GB email accounts :O

i'll believe it when i see it
charliehk
See for yourself how many junk mails there are!

I think 1G and 2G makes no difference if u could have more than one a/c!
babumuchhala
I did appreciate if Microsoft upgrades my MSN account from 2 MB to 250 MB atleast.

I have tried all the hacks and tricks available on the net but it dosent work for me. The sad part is that i have got all my friends account upgraded to 250 MB and have a complete article about it on my blog and i am the only one with 2 MB Sad

Anyone from MS here who can help me
prithvi
For the time being, you can upgrade your hotmail account to 25mb, using the following method (it should become 250mb soon):

Then go to the settings of your account and click on "My Profile".

Change the country to United States and the state to Florida (postal code 33332). (other states might also work)

Now go to http://memberservices.passport.net/memberservice.srf?lc%2043.

Click on the link to terminate your .NET passport. Then you need to click on the button the contact Hotmail and click on "close my account".

Close Internet Explorer and go to hotmail.com and log in again.

Normally you should have a 25MB account now. Soon it will be upgraded to 250MB!
charliehk
It looks like a scam...

But I think it is real! I heard somethg similar in an IT radio programming talking about it months ago!

But this method was told a long time ago, I am interested to know... is it still working now? Smile
babumuchhala
Prithiv read my post carefully

i have already done that. its of no use. Its an @msn.com account and thats the problem.

i know this backdoor and have done it on tons of accounts & theres a complete post by me on my blog
yupeng
Waiting for it.
In china,our hotmail account only have 2MB storage.
Very very little space for our email.
n0obie4life
S3nd K3ys wrote:
damj wrote:

Um, ME came out AFTER '95. Wink

ME came out on Year 2k Very Happy.

I'm using it and they have a bugged patch. I hate it (i have 2 comps)
nasirmansoor
charliehk wrote:
Too late for MS to boost the storage!

Why use hotmail and not GMail or Yahoo?

But for OS, it is another matter, since we could just choose between Linux and Windows!

So true .. i rarely check my hotmail account any more
Why has Microsoft taken so much time to be the top and rival other email service providers ..

Let's c what the new hotmail has got for us .. anyways anyone knows when its coming up ?