FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Just to be clear... ...sorry to ask but...

Captain Fertile
Would a website listing Guitar Tabs be unwelcome on FriHost? I believe guitar tabs are a bit of a gray area at the moment.

Also, what about a site which used .midi files as background music on certain pages. The midi files would be held on the FriHost server although they would not be offered as downloads just as backround music (not anything to do with the guitar tab site idea) if you know what I mean.

Its just I have seen several FriHost sites using images that are the property of people and companies other than the FriHost account holder and some sites with background music that is not original as far as I know.

It must be difficult to know where to draw the line sometimes.

I have searched long and hard to find answers to these questions but can't find them anywhere. I just want to be crystal on what I can get away with in such matters.

And I certainly don't want to lose my account with FriHost.
Animal
Captain Fertile wrote:
Would a website listing Guitar Tabs be unwelcome on FriHost? I believe guitar tabs are a bit of a gray area at the moment.

Unless you have written permission from the copyright holder, I'm afraid you can't have guitar (or any other instrument) tabs on your website.

Captain Fertile wrote:
Also, what about a site which used .midi files as background music on certain pages. The midi files would be held on the FriHost server although they would not be offered as downloads just as backround music (not anything to do with the guitar tab site idea) if you know what I mean.

Again, midi files are ok as long as they're not copyrighted, or you have permission from the copyright holder. This is our policy with all audio files.
Captain Fertile
Okay thanks.

I will err on the side of caution and not post those onto my FriHost space.

One thing worries me slightly, after reading your Terms of Service etc. there are times when an account will be deleted without warning.

I did have midi files on my webspace, about 30 or so (I am using my FriHost space for testing a website I am working on) but deleted them until I got a reply to this post.

If I hadn't asked the question and a mod had stumbled across them on my account would this have been an instance where my account would have been deleted without notice or would I have been asked to remove the offending files first as a warning.

The reason I am asking is that I would more than willing to delete any items I place on my account server if it is not in line with your TOS but could only do this if I was warned first.

You see the offending files (the midi files that is) were not for downlaod just to add another dimension to certain sections of the site, I wasn't offering a site to downlaod copyright/illegal content etc.

This is not a gripe by the way, you guys give a great service and anyone who doesn't agree with the TOS is free to go elsewhere - I just would hate to lose my account over a misunderstanding.

I hope this makes sense. I just think a responsible user would adhere to a friendly warning rather than instant deletion of an account, that way you keep responsible users and they keep their important web account. Of course if a warning is ignored then deletion of course could be the next action taken.

Cheers Very Happy
IceCreamTruck
You need to really considder what midi files you are going to play on your website. LOL! Just remember that every time you load your website (just guessing that you, like me, will be your websites biggest visitor) the midi files will play. After you've heard them 1000 or so times you might feel differently about them.

Some websites use them to develop a kind of auditory theme, but I would caution you that people who are visiting your website while on the clock at work, hehe! Very Happy , they will get busted by their bosses because they forgot to mute their speakers on their otherwise silent office machine.

The shorter version of what IceCreamTruck wrote:
Loud annoying midi files that auto-load = BAD! Original, fun, and not that annoying after 1000 times played = GOOD!