FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do someone here read 'yaoi'? :)

jasmine
Do someone here read 'yaoi'? Smile

Me? I honestly say I do. Very Happy
Obake
A-yup, me too. In fact, manga-wise, most of what I pick up will be yaoi, boy-love, or have very strong hints that a certain pair of male characters might maybe get together if the manga-ka were willing to commit to anything pairing-wise (ie, certain Clamp stuff).

I also enjoy yuri/shoujo-ai, but from what I've seen there's a sad lack of it by comparison. I also tend to be more critical of the girls' stories--yaoi I can sit back and let the cliches wash over me without being too bothered, but with yuri/shoujo-ai I seem to be looking for something particular that not many manga (or anime for that matter) deliver.

What are your favourite yaoi series? Favourite pairing? Favourite stock-standard yaoi plot #347? What are the things that you love about the genre (apart from the obvious)? Is there anything about it that bothers you, or that you don't love quite so much?
ColdFire
'yaoi'?? hmmm... let me see... whats 'yaoi'? Shocked
HereticMonkey
ColdFire wrote:
'yaoi'?? hmmm... let me see... whats 'yaoi'? Shocked

Quicky: It's gay love stories. Heavy on the sex and plot. Ironically, it was originally for a female fan base, but it's been semi-adopted by American gay comic lovers.

And I'm more of a shonen-ai person; gay stories, but with an emphasis on the story more than sex, like Gravitation. Interestingly enough, I'm trying to publish a yaoi script (but looking for an artist).

And, as noted, my favorite in the shonen-ai genre is Gravitation, just because it has a great story, and some classic characters...

HM
ColdFire
Quote:
It's gay love stories. Heavy on the sex and plot.

Shocked i think ill pass.
CMA
Sorry, no yaoi for me... I'm a yuri person. Wink

*shouts* AND LOLICON IS FINE TOO! *runs away*
Chelissamow
I'd have to admit, I have read a couple of Harry Potter Yaoi doujinshis (anything with Malfoy! xD). I'm not a big fan of it but it's alright. That type of genre doesn't exactly appeal to me.
Obake
CMA wrote:
Sorry, no yaoi for me... I'm a yuri person. Wink

I'd like to be more of a yuri person than I am, but a lot of the plots/handling of characters bothers me--things like this idea that someone needs to be shy and submissive and require a dominant partner; and also things like the fact that a lot of yuri scenes wind up basically being a bit part in a larger heterosexual story aimed at men--so the lesbianism isn't there for anything more significant than titillation. If I was looking for fourth-wall-breaking exercises or lesbians-r-hot-as-long-as-they-still-do-it-with-guys-if-we-want, then manga/anime doesn't offer me anything that mainstream Western erotica doesn't already.

I guess I'm kind of looking for a story that treats lesbianism as a proper form of sexuality in its own right, and lesbians as actual people. The better yaoi stories manage to do that even when they've clearly demarcated the uke and the seme of the relationship, but in a lot of the yuri I've read, character just seems to go out the window (if it was there at all) when things start getting a little too romantic/sexual. It's entirely possible, though, that I've just managed to come across a lot of bad-to-mediocre yuri--are there any series that you can recommend?

I have seen/read some of Utena, and I've been enjoying that because, as much as the power dynamic is still central to the relationship between her and Anthy, Utena is still very much with the "You know, this whole 'rose bride' thing really sucks. You don't belong to me; you don't belong to anyone. Don't listen to everyone else: they're all made of crazy." Everyone has an interesting backstory and the characters tend to be well-rounded, and no one loses any of that whenever, y'know, a bed happens to be in the room.
scimitarmoon
I've never read yaoi per se, but I've seen some yaoi anime. No thanks. It doesn't appeal to me at all... it seems to be all about pretty boys having sex with each other (granted, what I saw was admittedly bad yaoi), but I'm really more into stories and plots than visuals.
m-productions
yaoi haters and lovers alike, you should really check this out

the manga "aoi house" this is funny has heck, it does and dosnt have anything to do with yaoi at the same time, just check it out. you can find it online. youll love it (if you hate yaoi dont worry, youll love this, trust me! (for i dislike it to..its just yukkky))
Pikokola
No Thanks T__T
Last time I read one scene of yaoi, I got 3 bad days. Go damnit, They think i'm gay T__T

I'm prefer Yuri Laughing
ashen
I read it. I think, there are so many yaoi good stories like Gravitation.
Now I'm looking for yaoi PC Game titled Togainu no Chi (True Blood/Hound Blood) and Lamento. Did anyone have it?
I read yuri too (even if I'm a girl ^^; ).
Ranti84
I've tried reading yaoi (and watching it), and I have to say that I don't really...get into it all which is quite alright with me. Bishi's are all cool to look at or whatever (and not all yaoi have bishi's I know), but yeah it just doesn't do it for me.

Yuri's get interesting but sometimes they do bore me a little, despite how attractive it looks.
KellaDayne
I watched several yaoi, and even liked some of them. For example Gravitation. In my opinion, it's very nice love stories without sex scenes.
jasmine
Just like any other stories... there are good ones, there are bad ones.

I guess its a matter of getting the good ones.

Good fanfics of Gravitation really works for me, since I really love the series and I'm a Yuki and Shuuichi fan. Smile
vanille
*raises hand*

I read yaoi whenever I can, but I don't really get the time to. Plus, the fact that I live in a remote archipelago in the middle of nowhere means I have no access to plenty of mangas. All that they sell in the local bookstores are boooring mangas which are child-friendly. Pooh. Very Happy
Obake
Wow, it's kind of interesting that so many of the responses to this topic have been 'yaoi? Yeah, no thanks.' I don't know about other countries, but in the Australian anime community there is this really strong perception that male fans go for mecha and hot cyborg chicks, and girls go for bishounen and shounen-ai/yaoi. So, for those who don't like yaoi, can you explain why it doesn't appeal to you?

scimitarmoon, if you like strong plots (and if you're at all interested in dipping your toe into this genre again), I'd advise trying some shounen-ai manga and anime as opposed to actual smutty yaoi, since many of those series concentrate on a developing male-male relationship within the context of a broader story, instead of jumping right to the smut.

If you enjoy supernatural/horror stories, I'd recommend Yami no Matsuei (otherwise known as Descendants of Darkness)--either the anime or the manga, although the manga of course develops the story further than the thirteen-episode series can afford to. Also Cantarella, which looks as if it's not going to shape up to be explicitly shounen-ai, but it does feature a very strong male-male bond as central to the story, the plot is intense and intricate, and the historical aspects of the manga appear to be well-researched.

If Kazuya Minekura's Saiyuki series is anything to judge by, her boy-love stuff would also be worth a look, plotwise. The way she deals with male-male relationships is also a little different to most stories in the genre. She focuses much more on the development of the emotional side of things, so that it might be clear that sex is happening, but the reader never gets to see, which gives the stories an interesting edge, just this side of UST. Finally, she's worth looking at for the way her art style departs from the usual sketchiness and flowing lines of shounen-ai work: some of her characters wouldn't look horribly out of place in a shounen manga. Try looking up Bus Gamer, Executive Committee, or Wild Adapter, as they seem to be the most well-known of her shounen-ai work.

Specifically yaoi-wise, try Fake, which has one explicit scene at the end of seven volumes as the culmination of a very heated building-up of tension between cops Dee and Ryo as they solve crime after crime on the mean streets of New York. Once again, the art here is slightly different to the shounen-ai norm--more sharply conceived--and Ryo and Dee aren't quite your average bishounen models. The series also boasts one of the most adorable het relationships I've read in manga, between Ryo's adopted charge, the homophobic Bikky, and his childhood friend, the pragmatic and pro-slash Carol.

Ai no Kusabi might also be worth hunting down, but you'll want to read a review or two first. The OVA is based on a novel which set out a rather detailed alternative/future world that operates along strict class conventions, and a lot of that background is missing from the movie itself, but several reviewers have taken it upon themselves to fill in the gaps, Jeanne Johnson at Aesthicism.com among them. It is, however, a yaoi classic built along the lines of Romeo and Juliet.

m-productions, thanks for pointing us to Aoi House; I haven't read very far in yet, but it is amusing. Can you explain what it is exactly about yaoi that you find "yukky"? It seems an odd view to take, considering an awful lot of yaoi is based on a very specific aesthetic, contriving beauty even when logic and bodily functions dictate that there should be a great deal more, um, mess. My forays into shounen-oriented hentai/explicit stories show that they tend to be much more "yukky" on a whole range of levels, including the visual.

I'm trying not to go with the other obvious interpretation of your comment--that you find male-male sexual relationships to be disgusting by their very nature--since that could lead to an argument that would be more at home in this thread, and ultimately doesn't bear much on the topic at hand. All I will say is that yaoi actually doesn't have much to do with real homosexual relationships, in Japan or anywhere else.

Pikokola wrote:
Last time I read one scene of yaoi, I got 3 bad days. Go damnit, They think i'm gay T__T

I'm prefer Yuri Laughing

*laughs* Fair enough. Since someone assumed you were gay because you'd read some yaoi, is it fair to assume that you're a guy? Are there any other guys out there who've tried yaoi? Any who enjoy the genre? It's such a female-dominated genre--for good reason, I suppose--but it's kind of cool when guys "get it" too.

ashen, I haven't heard of Togainu no Chi or Lamento--but then, I'm not much of a one for PC games. Can you recommend any worth playing? What are Togainu and Lamento about?

Ranti84--fair enough. Which yuri series do you like? (Should we set up a separate thread for discussing yuri, I wonder?)

vanille--whereabouts are you? You might be able to get hold of some series by ordering online, through stores like Kinokuniya or Amazon, or via eBay. It's a matter of knowing which series to get--websites like Aestheticism.com and Boysonboysonfilm might help you decide what you're prepared to spend money on. Very Happy There are also a few good scanlation sites around--the Livejournal community Tokudane provides regular, updated listings for many of these, so you can easily keep track. I hope that helps you. (Now, the trick is to find enough time...)
jasmine
vanille wrote:
*raises hand*

I read yaoi whenever I can, but I don't really get the time to. Plus, the fact that I live in a remote archipelago in the middle of nowhere means I have no access to plenty of mangas. All that they sell in the local bookstores are boooring mangas which are child-friendly. Pooh. Very Happy

There are mangas you could download online. And for Free. My friends gets mangas that way. Very Happy
Obake
jasmine wrote:
There are mangas you could download online. And for Free. My friends gets mangas that way. Very Happy

This is true. Scanlations are a great way of finding out what your preferences are in the genre, and I do a lot of downloading of both yaoi manga and anime. But US-licensed manga quickly becomes scarce for legal reasons, and it is nice to be able to support the companies that are translating these stories and bringing them, in hardcopy, into the American/English/Australian/etc. markets, so trying online stores as well is still a good choice.
corycaly
I like to read yaoi fanfictions, especially the ones about Loveless (I'm a fan of the couple Ritsuka/Soubi) and about Gundam Wing. Yeah, I know, it's an ancient anime but I'm still a fan of Duo Maxwell...
At the beginning, I didn't read yaoi, I changed my opinion when I discovered good sites and good fanfics without too much sex.
Yaoi doesn't always mean sex scenes, it's more about the love between two hearts, that's why i like it.
scimitarmoon
Obake wrote:
scimitarmoon, if you like strong plots (and if you're at all interested in dipping your toe into this genre again), I'd advise trying some shounen-ai manga and anime as opposed to actual smutty yaoi, since many of those series concentrate on a developing male-male relationship within the context of a broader story, instead of jumping right to the smut.

Thank you very much for the suggestions. Now I have some ideas to go with next time I get brave enough to assail my sister's gigantic collection of shounen-ai and yaoi.

And corycaly's post reminded me of Loveless, which I have watched and quite enjoyed, so there's probably more good stuff out there that I can dig out. Embarassed But I have this lingering bad habit of sticking to those "safe" books and anime that I already know I like. I'll have to see if my sister has any of those ones that you mentioned, Obake. Again, thanks for the advice.
QrafTee
jasmine wrote:
Do someone here read 'yaoi'? Smile

Me? I honestly say I do. Very Happy

I've heard of "yaoi" back in the days when I was reading about Gundam Wing. It seems in the japanese fan community Heero and Duo make quite a "cute couple." But that's all I had to know to know what "yaoi" was. I'm happy to report I don't read that type of stuff... so what's female-female manga? Because I don't hear much of those. Is there a special phrase for that?
Obake
scimitarmoon wrote:
Thank you very much for the suggestions. Now I have some ideas to go with next time I get brave enough to assail my sister's gigantic collection of shounen-ai and yaoi.

^^ You're welcome.

scimitarmoon wrote:
[...] there's probably more good stuff out there that I can dig out. Embarassed But I have this lingering bad habit of sticking to those "safe" books and anime that I already know I like.

Eh, everyone does that, to an extent. Yaoi was "safe" for me because I was already into slash fanfiction by the time I discovered it--so I could deal with the smut and I was excited to find these graphic male-male stories where I'd only been able to read textual stuff before. These days, I actually tend to avoid heterosexual romances more, particularly in English-language novels, which will always have a sniff of Mills and Boon/Harlequin about them for me. As far as I'm concerned, the values in many of those books are decidedly not "safe" by comparison.

I'm glad to know you liked Loveless, too. Although I personally have a couple of issues with that series (which I hope will disappear by the time I've finished watching it), it makes me a little more confident that you'll enjoy the series I recommended.

corycaly wrote:
I like to read yaoi fanfictions, especially the ones about Loveless (I'm a fan of the couple Ritsuka/Soubi) and about Gundam Wing. Yeah, I know, it's an ancient anime but I'm still a fan of Duo Maxwell...

*grins* Who isn't a fan of Duo Maxwell? I never even got into that series, and I still thought he was a cool character. Thanks to some prescient songwriting by the Beatles, he even has his own theme song. Well, the chorus fits, anyway.

corycaly wrote:
Yaoi doesn't always mean sex scenes, it's more about the love between two hearts, that's why i like it.

See, this is interesting. I agree that yaoi doesn't always mean sex scenes, and it certainly isn't all about sex, but the sexual content was part of what originally drew me to the genre, and in my mind the distinction between shounen-ai and yaoi is, basically, the difference between romance and eroticism. Does anyone else approach it differently?

QrafTee wrote:
... so what's female-female manga? Because I don't hear much of those. Is there a special phrase for that?

Female-female manga is shoujo-ai or yuri (shoujou-ai is to yuri as shounen-ai is to yaoi). You don't hear as much of them because, well, there aren't as many. >>; CMA or Ranti84 might be able to help you out with finding some good series, though.
chastise
I personally prefer shounen-ai. It's less explicit. And there's this cuteness I can't seem to be able to put into words.
Yaoi is normally with older males. And I find that a bit unappealing.
Dakafall
yaoi?? I might have to check this out sometime, I really like this kinda stuff, and its always good to know a new one.

thanks for the suggestion (even though ti really wasnt, I am still going to try it)
Derioh
Well, I don't like yaoi Confused I have nothing against gay people, but i don't like the love between 2 guys Shocked
jasmine
Well everybody is entitled to their own opinion.

As for me, yaoi just shows a part of our reality about 'gay' people. It is something that should be known since it is there and is part of the society.