FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

FTP problems Continued

coreymanshack
Ok I changed my mode to non passive( wich used to work ) in smart ftp according to the other post, I would also recommend not using ASCII also, had a little bit of trouble out of that, always use binary! Would a mod please move this to the post about ftp problems? I've actually been waiting 2 weeks to see if it was just a problem with the ftp server, I never did check to see if it was actually a post here, I should've. Thank you very much! Originally this psot also asked for the ftp problems to be a sticky, but I just realized it's an announcement.

I encountered another ftp problem that I frequently encounter and it gets on my nerves, If I'm uploading lots of little files, or downloading lots of little files it says that the client has closed the connection, I have about 8MB of the little files I think on my server, and it took me a long time to download a backup of my site through ftp where I could clear some things off my server that I didn't need.
Traveller
coreymanshack wrote:
... I would also recommend not using ASCII also, had a little bit of trouble out of that, always use binary!

I would recommend using the proper mode for the file(s) being transferred: ASCII for text files, and binary for binary files (e.g. the .tar.gz archives for installing many packages).

coreymanshack wrote:
I encountered another ftp problem that I frequently encounter and it gets on my nerves, If I'm uploading lots of little files, or downloading lots of little files it says that the client has closed the connection, I have about 8MB of the little files I think on my server, and it took me a long time to download a backup of my site through ftp where I could clear some things off my server that I didn't need.

Sounds like you don't have "keep alive" turned on. Even with it, however, I have seen the same thing lots of times on other FTP sites.
coreymanshack
thanks for reading my such long post, how would I go about fixing that second quote in your post? I DO have keep alive on, set up with the noop command. What program do you suggest I use for ftp??
SpellcasterDX
coreymanshack wrote:
thanks for reading my such long post, how would I go about fixing that second quote in your post? I DO have keep alive on, set up with the noop command. What program do you suggest I use for ftp??

I recommend FileZilla. I found a fix for it to work, though I haven't tested to make sure everything (haven't tested downloading or editing files) but uploading works.

SpellcasterDX wrote:
To make FileZilla work, go to: File (top left corner) ----> Site Manager (or Ctrl+S) then make a new folder in there, or edit and exisitng one. Click on the "Advanced" button and bubble in "Active Mode." Then press "OK" then when you're back to the main site management window, click "Save and Exit" or "Connect." (Either one works, cause it'll change the settings.) Very Happy
coreymanshack
ok i'll try that and get back to ya guys..

EDIT:
i see what you were talking about in filezilla, wich was discussed in another topic, but yea, I needed to do that after I downloaded.

OK I am using it now in active mode with binary transfer here is the ftp log for my actions, there were tons more files to be downloaded but it timed out?

Quote:
Response: 257 "/domains/phpgames.frih.net/public_html" is current directory.
Status: Starting download of /domains/phpgames.frih.net/public_html/100_0911.JPG
Status: Starting download of /domains/phpgames.frih.net/public_html/bottom.png
Status: Starting download of /domains/phpgames.frih.net/public_html/contents.html
Status: Starting download of /domains/phpgames.frih.net/public_html/delorie.htm
Status: Starting download of /domains/phpgames.frih.net/public_html/fsgbfb83.txt
Status: Starting download of /domains/phpgames.frih.net/public_html/header.png
Status: Starting download of /domains/phpgames.frih.net/public_html/index.html
Status: Starting download of /domains/phpgames.frih.net/public_html/index.php
Status: Starting download of /domains/phpgames.frih.net/public_html/indexsp.php
Status: Starting download of /domains/phpgames.frih.net/public_html/links.php
Status: Starting download of /domains/phpgames.frih.net/public_html/logo.gif
Status: Starting download of /domains/phpgames.frih.net/public_html/robots.txt
Status: Starting download of /domains/phpgames.frih.net/public_html/scammer.jpg
Status: Starting download of /domains/phpgames.frih.net/public_html/scammer1.jpg
Status: Starting download of /domains/phpgames.frih.net/public_html/select.html
Status: Starting download of /domains/phpgames.frih.net/public_html/sitemap.xml
Status: Starting download of /domains/phpgames.frih.net/public_html/style.css
Error: Timeout detected!
Error: Could not retrieve directory listing
SpellcasterDX
Well, I did see in a mod's signatures that FTP was suddenly down. (Like, 5-10 minutes ago) Perhaps that interrupted it and cause the timeout?
coreymanshack
heh, mabye, i'll try it again.

EDIT
for some reason filezilla seems to be working better than smartftp. I'm liking it Smile.
SpellcasterDX
Yep, ever since I first used FileZilla, I've liked it.
coreymanshack
smart choice, I'm never using smartftp again.
SpellcasterDX
Hmm, well, you're welcome, I suppose. Smile
coreymanshack
yea thx Smile