FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Dostoevsky

biljap
Do you like to read Fyodor Dostoevsky’s novels?

Since I read one of his books (“Brothers Karamazov”) I just couldn’t stop and I’ve read every novel I could find at the library. Except mentioned book I also like “Crime and Punishment”.

I’ve never seen such great and detailed descriptions of people and their lives. The most interesting is his ability to be so good philosopher and psychologist. I’ve read that everybody described him as one of the most important and influential writers that ever lived.

What do you think?
RallyMonkey
I despised Crime & Punishment.

Yet, my friend suggests the Brother's Karamazov, and says I would enjoy it, so I might check it out sometime.
evanc88
I know Vonnegut said that everything you ever needed to know about life was in his "Crime and Punishment." I bought a copy but haven't read it yet. Really should get on that. More than anything I want to read "The Gambler," seeing as how he was a gambling addict and I'm heading down that road, lol

edit: I was wrong--it seems Vonnegut said this about "The Brothers Karamazov. Sorry!
palavra
RallyMonkey wrote:

Yet, my friend suggests the Brother's Karamazov, and says I would enjoy it, so I might check it out sometime.

interesting , it is a great book.
i liked it very much.
i read it nearly 10 years ago.
i did't see a good novel like it for 10 years.
missdixy
I love him & his books.
evanc88
palavra wrote:
RallyMonkey wrote:

interesting , it is a great book.
i liked it very much.
i read it nearly 10 years ago.
i did't see a good novel like it for 10 years.

So what novel have you found recently that is good like Crime and Punishment?
palavra
it is in turkish language

alev alatli is the writer.

Viva la Muerte (Yaşasın Ölüm), 1992

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alev_Alatl%C4%B1
KellaDayne
“Crime and Punishment” is one of the famous masterpiece of russian literature. I read it some years ago during study in my school, and I like it.
This book greatly express the condition of Russian of that time
ainieas
When I was reading Crime and Punishment about a few years ago I didn't like it. But now as I actually understand the philosophy stuff, I can see why it will always be a existentialist masterpiece.

Dostoyevsky took apart Nietzsche's superman theory in this book.

For now The Outsider is my favourite book. It is Camus' but it follows the same existentialist philosophy.
okullar
I read Crime and Punishment, and Brothers Karamazov. I like very much Crime and Punishmet but Brothers Karamazov is very long for me and some boring. it was very hard to finish it and the most intresting point was that i was about to forget the beginning part when i was at the and of the story.

Dostoyevski is a good writer really. He lived some poorly, he thought that if he was as rich as Tolstoy, he would be able to live more comphortable and so he would be able to write more.

That point is very intresting, because maybe he wrote this all novels with his own pain, and if there was no pain, he couldnt write well... Who knows...
TurtleShell
It's been years since I read Crime and Punishment--although I wouldn't even say now that I "read" it since what happened was I started it, loved it, lost interest in the middle, skipped the majority of it (covered that in the cliffsnotes because I was reading it for school) and then picked the book back up for the last 100 or 50 pages. Isn't that sad? I hate that I bought the cliffsnotes--I kind of hate that they even exist. I probably cheated myself.
ainieas
TurtleShell wrote:
It's been years since I read Crime and Punishment--although I wouldn't even say now that I "read" it since what happened was I started it, loved it, lost interest in the middle, skipped the majority of it (covered that in the cliffsnotes because I was reading it for school) and then picked the book back up for the last 100 or 50 pages. Isn't that sad? I hate that I bought the cliffsnotes--I kind of hate that they even exist. I probably cheated myself.

I think you can never truely know just how much you have missed.
evanc88
I now own The Brothers Karamazov and The Gambler, but I'm going to hold out on reading them until I read "Notes from Underground" because it seems amazing.

Next I'll read The Brothers Karamazov, however, and I'm excited to see if it lives up to the hype.
UCLighthouse
Well, I am currently reading "Crime and Punishment" and would like to read "The Brothers Karamazov" however, I haven't gotten there yet. I did watch "The Brother's Karamazov" movie during my freshman year of college for my honors class, however, and I found it interesting. "Crime and Punishment" is sort of creepy, but once I got past the beginning I have started to enjoy it. The psychological analysis is second to none and he is a very descriptive author. I personally think he is rather funny at times as well, especially from the same portion of "The Brothers Karamazov" that I have read, but I don't think that is really his aim. I think it just sort of happens. However, I don't think it is possible to not think Raskolnikov's interrogation with Porify isn't a little funny.
Dr Carruthers
Definitely an author to read. 'Crime and Punishment' is usually considered his masterpiece (or, at least, his most quoted novel), and I tend to agree with it.
Despite the quite hidden parts of human mind he displays in it, it was strangely entertaining. Not only he had a sense for psychology (sorta), but he was also a talented writer.
azfad
amazing writer - one of the all-time greats no question. the brothers karamazov is one of the must -reads of world literature, as is cime and punishment. when it comes to writing, 19th century russian literature is second to none i think.

although i must say 'the idiot' does very little for me.