FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Problem with email through Thunderbird

wumingsden
Yesterday I setup thunderbird and added all of my email addressed to it. I thought all was working fine because it was downloading all of the emails from my inboxes.

Today however when I pressed the send button to send an email I get the following message:

Quote:

Sending of message failed.

The message could not be sent because connection to SMTP server mail.mydomain.net failed. The server may be unable or is refusing SMTP connections. Please verify that your STMP server setting is correct and try again, or else contact your network administrator

I have added a .net email addresses as well as .frih.net email addresses and get the same problem.

I used the following details:

for my .frih.net email addresses.....

POP Mail Server
Server Name: mail.frih.net
Port: 110
Username: my email address

for my .net email addresses.....

Server Name: mail.mezmorizing.net
Port: 110
Username: my email address

As most are aware I don't much about servers. I however thought that incoming and outgoing mail were both mail.frih.net and mail.mezmorizing.net

Can anybody help?[/i]
Animal
I seem to remember this issue. In your outgoing server (SMTP) settings, check that you're not trying to use SSL or TLS. Security should be "off" and not "TLS if available"

That help at all?
wumingsden
Animal wrote:
I seem to remember this issue. In your outgoing server (SMTP) settings, check that you're not trying to use SSL or TLS. Security should be "off" and not "TLS if available"

That help at all?

Quote:

Use Secure Connection: Never

Question
Animal
What username are you using? If it's the main account (eg. wummingsden - your DA login name) make sure you're not using the @*.frih.net suffix. If it's not the main account, make sure you are using the @*.frih.net suffix.

I've heard of problems associated with using the main account for email login although I don't use my own so I can't vouch for it. If you're still having problems, the other option is to create a second email account (eg. wum2@domain.frih.net) and use that login for SMTP only.
wumingsden
Animal wrote:
What username are you using? If it's the main account (eg. wummingsden - your DA login name) make sure you're not using the @*.frih.net suffix. If it's not the main account, make sure you are using the @*.frih.net suffix.

I've heard of problems associated with using the main account for email login although I don't use my own so I can't vouch for it. If you're still having problems, the other option is to create a second email account (eg. wum2@domain.frih.net) and use that login for SMTP only.

I have numerous .frih.net email addresses added as well as for the .mezmorizing.net domain too

One of them is for the main account, which i have not used the .frih.net suffix after.

P.S - my login isn't wumingsden, it is shown here: http://www.frihost.com/forums/show_user.php?id=5263 I have used the correct login without the suffix.
Animal
Do any of the SMTP accounts work? Did they work previously with another client (eg. Outlook Express)? Do you use AOL or another ISP that may block any non-ISP SMTP servers?
wumingsden
Animal wrote:
Do any of the SMTP accounts work? Did they work previously with another client (eg. Outlook Express)? Do you use AOL or another ISP that may block any non-ISP SMTP servers?

None of my email accounts work.
I have never used Outlook express or any other email program.

My ISP is AOL Crying or Very sad Does this mean I cannot use it? Is there a way to see whether AOL are blocking the servers and if so, is it possible to disable this function?

edit:
Although your in my contact list you are not on my allow list. I'll try and fix it, for some reason my WLM is being a ***** at the moment.
Animal
wumingsden wrote:
My ISP is AOL Crying or Very sad Does this mean I cannot use it? Is there a way to see whether AOL are blocking the servers and if so, is it possible to disable this function?

This website wrote:
Sending email with a third-party email account while connected to AOL can be tricky. Even though AOL provides an outgoing SMTP server, it is impossible to send a "forged" email address through this server. For example, if someone is checking their office email account from the road with AOL, they might want messages they send to appear to come from this account rather than their AOL account (just as someone might write and send a personal letter from work without wanting to send it on company stationery with a company envelope). So you do not want to use the AOL SMTP server for non-AOL mail.

In theory, you do not need a third-party SMTP server because AOL is supposed to redirect all attempted SMTP connections to its own special "SMTP proxy" server which will send your message out. This server is strictly rate-limited, and your AOL Screen Name will be identified in an X-Apparently-From header. The server will also perform virus scanning and will prevent you from sending messages it deems as being junk email (which could cause problems for people trying to report junk email).

AOL's SMTP Proxy does not always work, however. In cases where the SMTP proxy does not intercept your connection, you will need to use a third-party SMTP server (preferably one that you have permission to use and has some form of SMTP or POP-before-SMTP authentication). If you do not have access to an SMTP server, and AOL is not redirecting your attempts to its proxy; you'll need to find another method to send your message.

So basically, it's not looking good. I think AOL block all other outgoing SMTP servers to stop their network being used for spam and probably to protect it - this would stop any botnets from working on AOL.

The good news is that you can still send email from any email address using the AOL SMTP server, and the email will still be sent "from" whatever address you specify. The bad news is that your AOL email address will be included in the outgoing mail headers, so your emails will be traceable back to you. This is a particular problem if your AOL email address contains your full name.

Would you consider switching your domain email to Google Apps For Your Domain? If so, it uses a secured SMTP server port (587, I believe) so it probably wouldn't be blocked by AOL.
wumingsden
I'm trying to setup the google option. i've uploaded the file but now its asking me to change my MX records. I have the newer skin and cannot find where i can change the records ...

or do i have to change them with the site i registered my domain at?

Confused
Animal
wumingsden wrote:

Yeah, you need to edit the DNS settings with your domain registrar, not Frihost.

Basically, you point the MX (email) records to Google and the A-Record (website) to the Frihost IP address.

HTH Very Happy
wumingsden
Animal wrote:
wumingsden wrote:

Yeah, you need to edit the DNS settings with your domain registrar, not Frihost.

Basically, you point the MX (email) records to Google and the A-Record (website) to the Frihost IP address.

HTH Very Happy

I don't know whethter this is possible.I brought a domain and changed the nameserves, that is all. I cannot see an option to change email options Confused

I use namecheap.com, the same place steve uses.
Lord Klorel
I use the follow settings in Incredimail.

POP: mail.domain.frih.net

SMTP: the outgoing mail settings of your ISP.

This works perfect.

The complete settings of Frihost don't work.

I hope that this reply will solve the problem.
wumingsden
I tried using the outgoing mail settings of my ISP but that didn't work.

I've also searched through the management of my domain at namecheap and fount no option to change the MX records.

Any other suggestions?

Edit:
It seems that when I purchased the domain they didn't provide email services, you have to buy it seperately. I'd added the domain to my frihost account however and can create unlimited emails using my domain. I don't really get it.

I have seen the following option in my old directadmin skin:

from ..... http://www.site-helper.com/email.html#mx

If the skin is changed would I then have the option to change the mx records?
Animal
wumingsden wrote:
I tried using the outgoing mail settings of my ISP but that didn't work.

I've also searched through the management of my domain at namecheap and fount no option to change the MX records.

Any other suggestions?

Is there not an option to change DNS settings? You'll need to set the nameservers to the namecheap.com defaults, then change your "advanced DNS settings".

Any joy?
wumingsden
I've changed the defualts, just waiting for it to take effect before i can do anything. i'll post an update with what's happenning when possible.

edit: Now I have transferred the domain back I see new email options that was not present before. The DNS settings however have not yet taken effect.
Animal
wumingsden wrote:
Edit:
It seems that when I purchased the domain they didn't provide email services, you have to buy it seperately. I'd added the domain to my frihost account however and can create unlimited emails using my domain. I don't really get it.

No, Frihost don't allow you to change DNS settings for security reasons so any DNS changes have to be made with your domain registrar.

Anyway, as discussed by IM, I managed to fix it for you. Even though namecheap has one of the most confusing DNS settings pages I've ever seen!
wumingsden
Animal wrote:
wumingsden wrote:
Edit:

No, Frihost don't allow you to change DNS settings for security reasons so any DNS changes have to be made with your domain registrar.

Anyway, as discussed by IM, I managed to fix it for you. Even though namecheap has one of the most confusing DNS settings pages I've ever seen!

Actually, that is not entirely true. It seems that the DNS was not updated to show my site, but I'll speak to you about this by IM.

Edit:
Thanks for all your help Animal but I have had to reverse the DNS back to what they were.
After we stopped speaking last night I checked my site again and it changed to a default page of namecheap's. I edited the settings which sorted this out however. The reason why i wanted to change it was to receive email through Thundbird, but this still didn't work. I completed all the stages for the Google Apps For Your Domain but AOL still blocked it (even though it was a secure connection). Also, I couldn't create any sbdomains. I created them both at NameCheap and Frihost but again, still no luck (i know last night I said that this wouldn't be a problem, but I have decided to start working again on my site in the near-future).

In future I'll have to use webmail like usual, which isn't a major problem. Do you know of a web service (like the one I currently use: www.mail2web.com) which saves all sent emails? This is really the only reason I wanted to use ThunderBird as I keep on sending more than one email to the same person, thinking that I hasn't already done so before Embarassed

Thanks again for the help you've been.
Animal
wumingsden wrote:
After we stopped speaking last night I checked my site again and it changed to a default page of namecheap's.

That's really weird... Don't know what could be causing that.

wumingsden wrote:
I edited the settings which sorted this out however. The reason why i wanted to change it was to receive email through Thundbird, but this still didn't work. I completed all the stages for the Google Apps For Your Domain but AOL still blocked it (even though it was a secure connection).

Yeah, that's a disaster! I thought AOL would allow secure connections, but apparently not... possibly time for a new ISP, I think!

wumingsden wrote:
Also, I couldn't create any sbdomains. I created them both at NameCheap and Frihost but again, still no luck (i know last night I said that this wouldn't be a problem, but I have decided to start working again on my site in the near-future).

It *should* work, but you may have to add a subdomain as a new "domain" in DA rather than by adding a subdomain. I could be wrong here though...

wumingsden wrote:
In future I'll have to use webmail like usual, which isn't a major problem. Do you know of a web service (like the one I currently use: www.mail2web.com) which saves all sent emails? This is really the only reason I wanted to use ThunderBird as I keep on sending more than one email to the same person, thinking that I hasn't already done so before Embarassed

Not off the top of my head. I really like the Gmail interface - you can use it to send mail form other addresses, but as we discusses the other day, your actual Gmail address will be shown in the headers. It allows you to save all mail - one reason I suggested Google Apps to you.

wumingsden wrote:

Hey, no problem Very Happy It's a shame we couldn't get this working. There is another option that will definately work - I could discuss this with you via IM. Basically, it would involve signing up for Every DNS, setting your nameservers to them then altering DNS settings from there. I suspect that all the problems we had are a result of namecheap's rather confusing DNS management system. However, as I said, I'll try to catch you when you're online for a more detailed chat about this.
wumingsden
Animal wrote:
wumingsden wrote:
After we stopped speaking last night I checked my site again and it changed to a default page of namecheap's.

That's really weird... Don't know what could be causing that.

I do, so don't worry about this. When we checked together the DNS hadn't updated. It was point to www.namecheap.com/..../...../..../..../www.mezmorizing.net - I was able to change this myself.

Animal wrote:
wumingsden wrote:
I edited the settings which sorted this out however. The reason why i wanted to change it was to receive email through Thundbird, but this still didn't work. I completed all the stages for the Google Apps For Your Domain but AOL still blocked it (even though it was a secure connection).

Yeah, that's a disaster! I thought AOL would allow secure connections, but apparently not... possibly time for a new ISP, I think!

Yes, I'm definitly going to change. I've had major problems with them, which include them setting up two dial-up connections which they say I did (this is impossible due to the fact that the date they gave on which it was setted up was before the date I had setup my wireless internet). A few days ago they also took out x2 14.99 because of the two dial-up connections and refuse to give me a refund. (they also stated that there now is no address to write to to complain). I rang back the next day to speak to someone else. I am now in credit of two months so I don't have to pay til Feb./March time. This is when I am going to change my ISP. Also, when I setup my connection they also changed my landline provider, which I told them not to do.

Animal wrote:
wumingsden wrote:
Also, I couldn't create any sbdomains. I created them both at NameCheap and Frihost but again, still no luck (i know last night I said that this wouldn't be a problem, but I have decided to start working again on my site in the near-future).

It *should* work, but you may have to add a subdomain as a new "domain" in DA rather than by adding a subdomain. I could be wrong here though...

I've changed the DNS now but thanks for the suggestion.

Animal wrote:
wumingsden wrote:

Not off the top of my head. I really like the Gmail interface - you can use it to send mail form other addresses, but as we discusses the other day, your actual Gmail address will be shown in the headers. It allows you to save all mail - one reason I suggested Google Apps to you.

Sounds nice but I'll have to wait Rolling Eyes

Animal wrote:
wumingsden wrote:

Hey, no problem Very Happy It's a shame we couldn't get this working. There is another option that will definately work - I could discuss this with you via IM. Basically, it would involve signing up for Every DNS, setting your nameservers to them then altering DNS settings from there. I suspect that all the problems we had are a result of namecheap's rather confusing DNS management system. However, as I said, I'll try to catch you when you're online for a more detailed chat about this.
[/quote]

Even if I change it this way AOL may still block. The Google Aps thing was able to connect, but was not able to send, just like the problem mentioned in my very first post.

I think it's AOL's fault, so I'm going to wait a couple of months before changing my ISP
Animal
wumingsden wrote:
Even if I change it this way AOL may still block. The Google Aps thing was able to connect, but was not able to send, just like the problem mentioned in my very first post.

I think it's AOL's fault, so I'm going to wait a couple of months before changing my ISP

All this would do would be to allow you to use the Gmail web interface with your domain, and not SMTP.

I just had a thought though...

Have a look at the trial version of QK SMTP Server - this works as an SMTP server from your local machine then sends the email directly from your PC rather than going to an external server. This may or may not bypass the AOL block, but if it does, it may be better than using webmail alone.