FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Soul Jazz

Nite Vizhun
I've always been a big fan of Jazz. I have lots of Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Amhad Jamal, Chick Corea, Gary Burton, etc. But lately I've been all about the soul jazz. Particularly a lineup that includes a Hammond B3 Organ.

My current favorites are Dr. Lonnie Smith, Jimmy Smith, Jimmy McGriff, Soulive and Lettuce. I've also gotten into stuff by Greyboy, who apparently is a DJ, but he mixes some excellent jazzy stuff.

Anyone else out there listen to any of these guys?
glabase
Nite Vizhun wrote:
I've always been a big fan of Jazz. I have lots of Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Amhad Jamal, Chick Corea, Gary Burton, etc. But lately I've been all about the soul jazz. Particularly a lineup that includes a Hammond B3 Organ.

My current favorites are Dr. Lonnie Smith, Jimmy Smith, Jimmy McGriff, Soulive and Lettuce. I've also gotten into stuff by Greyboy, who apparently is a DJ, but he mixes some excellent jazzy stuff.

Anyone else out there listen to any of these guys?

Hey i hears ya! jazz rocks. that first list really appeals to me. john coltrane is awesome n im also tryin to learn some miles davis on the piano.

i quite like easy-listenin soul jazz but nothin in particular. i'm gonna try to have a listen to your second list of musicians - do you know any good sites where i can sample their music?

i'm quite big on chillout/electronic jazz/funk e.g. ninja tunes music.
Nite Vizhun
I went to pandora.com and created a radio station with all the names I listed above. Pandora will give you a great cross sampling of all their music plus songs from similar artists.
violetgnu
I've actually seen/heard Chick Corea live, it was him in a trio..they came to Vancouver some summer ago. Was an improv session, I think. I don't know if it was because we were in the back, though, I just found it kinda dull after a while. A lot of the melodies were the rehashed, was just hard to get into.

I really like Oscar Peterson, I have a book of stuff that he's played, written out in painstaking detail (not just the melody and the chords, but every note). I realize that this more or less defeats the improvisational and fluid origin of jazz, but it sounds pretty damn awesome.
Nite Vizhun
I've never seen Chick Corea live, but I do have some live recordings and they really cook. Maybe you caught him on an off night.

Oscar Peterson is excellent. Carrying the jazz pianist theme further - Thelonious Monk is phenomenal.
anxiety1
yeh i like a bit of jazz

the songwriter in my band is really into it. so i guess its quite an influence in our music.

ive been learning a fair bit on bass. well hard some of it