FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Multiple windows copies

adredwood
Ok, i have an interesting poser for any windows experts out there. I currently have a 40gb hard drive with two partitions,

C: 10gb
D: 30gb

C contains my primary copy of windows, installed long ago and now so slow i want to replace it. Which is why i have a fresh copy of XP on D, running fine - my problem now is that i dont know how i can use C, as it wont let me delete/format the partition (tried through command line and disk management). I dont know if i can uninstall windows manually - if there is a way i havent figured it out. All i want to be able to do is wipe C and use the space there again - anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Andy
DesChut3s
adredwood wrote:
Ok, i have an interesting poser for any windows experts out there. I currently have a 40gb hard drive with two partitions,

C: 10gb
D: 30gb

C contains my primary copy of windows, installed long ago and now so slow i want to replace it. Which is why i have a fresh copy of XP on D, running fine - my problem now is that i dont know how i can use C, as it wont let me delete/format the partition (tried through command line and disk management). I dont know if i can uninstall windows manually - if there is a way i havent figured it out. All i want to be able to do is wipe C and use the space there again - anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

There's many ways behind that. You could try using the logical disk manager for Windows XP and format the partition. It seems to work a little better, then say, fdisk. The best option, in my opinion, is to just use a program like PartitionMagic 8.0 or Acronis to get the job done.

Good luck, anyhow.
ocalhoun
The command "Format C:\" Doesn't work? Were you running off the C: drive when you tried it?
A word for the wise: Back up the partition before you wipe it; windows XP might have stored some important boot files on that partition.
muggle
You cannot delete the C: partition neither you can format the C: drive because your second installation of Windows XP uses part of C: drive to store its boot files.
Be careful, if you succeed to format C: drive by using third party tools you will damage Windows XP installation and your computer won't boot.
You might, very carefully of course, delete most of the content of the C: drive if you don't need it and that's pretty much all you can do without reinstalling the operating system.
orno
how about wiping both disks and starting off afresh?
internetjobs
you are not mentioned that, how you installed the xp... by fresh copy(Direct boot from CD> format>installation)
or by opening xp cd on your old installation... in the second method is very difficult in your situation...

for first method you can delete the C: there is no problem..
in second method.. you cannot directly format this..boot file may be in C drive..Any way no problem.. you format C: then repair your system with XP cd...
blueray
internetjobs wrote:
you are not mentioned that, how you installed the xp... by fresh copy(Direct boot from CD> format>installation)
or by opening xp cd on your old installation... in the second method is very difficult in your situation...

for first method you can delete the C: there is no problem..
in second method.. you cannot directly format this..boot file may be in C drive..Any way no problem.. you format C: then repair your system with XP cd...

You are right. Because you just have a single hard drive with two partitions. If you got 2 hard drives and the partitions contained seperately within it. That's not the problems.

With windows nt system family. Microsoft have two particular partitions called System Partition and Boot Partition. From system view, this two types of partiton you can not be deleted due to they are required by the system. The partiton that contains boot files such as boot.ini, ntldr ...etc are called System Partition and the partition that contains windows system files are called Boot Partition.

So, the only way to delete was:
1.) uses some dos-based ntfs 5 read/write compatiable tools
2.) Boot from windows xp cd

Hope this help
escalera
i assume your d partition is for storage,
using partition magic you can erase c partition and create a new fresh partition c where you can install your windows.
if you still use floppys u can prepare 2 boot of them ans make everything in dos mode.
redice
The windows NTLDR loader will always installed on C:\, so any format will make your system halt on booting. You may manual delete the c:\windows, c:\program files etc. Unhide/unlock c:\boot.ini, remove the unused entry in it. Then rebooting your system.