FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Book Recommendations

queendst
Since there are some readers out there who do enjoy reading regularly I thought I'd ask what everyone thinks is a great book to read. I'm curious to hear what everyone else has to say as I'd love to dive into something wothwhile to read. I like a vast array of books and different types, so if anyone has read anything really great lately, then drop a reply here and let me know. I'd love to hear it!
Ioana
the Parfume by Patrick Süsskind.

I've read it quite a while ago, and don't know why it spontanly came to my mind when I read your posting.

I couldn't stop reading till I had this book through.
Normally I can rather recommend books to people I know.

Greetings!
Xavier
I recommend the Da Vinci Code!
The novel is awesome! It surely is a masterpeice! It blends fiction & reality in such a manner that the reader has no chice but to believe the author blindly!
I would call it an intellegent book which will bring change in the conventional novels & authors!
It can be said to bring a new era, where authors can speak out their minds if they have valid proofs to support their views irrespective of the society's take on the matters!
The Da Vinci Code Is Amazing!
Visit the website & solve the Da Vinci Quest using ur imagination & intellegence!
http://www.danbrown.com or http://www.davincicode.com
Highly Recommended!!
icugaming
The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomason

Because it's ten times better than Da Vinci Code. It does more than cram your brain with useless history, but it tells a beautiful coming of age story and thus leaves you with more than some historical facts and statistics, but with a lesson learned.
jveezy
The Kite Runner by Khalid Hosseini

This was a required reading for incoming students at Cal Poly but it is an awesome book about a boy who grows up in Afghanistan and does something bad to one of his good friends. He's stricken with guilt for the rest of his life, even after he moves away to America. One day he has a chance to go back and redeem himself.

Sorry. That's kinda vague, but anything else would give away important parts of the novel. It's actually fiction but it seems very non-fictional.

On a less serious note, I also believe that every American should take the time to read The Daily Show with Jon Stewart Presents America the Book: A Citizen's Guide to Democracy Inaction. It is absoutely hilarious for anyone that studies and understands American government and politics.
Alacarde
Shogun! Definately James Clavells best, and James Clavell is an amazing writer.

Shogun is the earliest of his 'Asian series'. It is set in feudal Japan, and is amazingly well written. (And it has to be, considering that the book is almost 1500 pages). Really though, it is a great book. If you like historical fiction, you'll love this book.
JA1meerssen
kruistocht in spijkerbroek a dutch book a like it a lot
JA1meerssen
and abeltje it's a children book but it is very exciting
naz
Not easy to read but it's worth:

-Kafka
-Nietzsche
-Kant
-Schoppenhauer

and something easier "The Dark Elf"-Trilogy
credo
I recommend anything by Terry Pratchet. Everyone knows him. I started reading his books last year totally by accident (it was one of his kids book – A Hat Full of Sky) and I loved it. His books are so funny and ironic and filled with the most weird and wonderful people like Captain Carrot and Mister Teatime and Qu. Awesome stuff.

http://www.terrypratchettbooks.com/

If you like murder and crime I recommend Reginald Hill, PD James, Ruth Rendell, Morag Joss and Minette Walters. Also Colin Dexter and Ian Rankin

If you prefer humour with your action I recommend Janet Evanovich’s series about Stephanie Plum, the accident prone bounty hunter. I always have a good laugh when I read about Stephanie’s weird adventures.

If you like humour and science fiction then I suggest Douglas Adams, especially “Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency.”

Cheers
Credo
inesquecivel
The all brazillian colection "Os caras"!!!!!!!!

PERFECCCCTTTT!!!

Wink
Caxius
the Da Vinci Code and the silmarillion (tolkien), it's ...different Wink
aniitopia
I would have to say The Heart is a lonley hunter. Carson McCullers. The heroine is the strange young girl, Mick Kelly. The setting is a small Southern town, the cosmos universal and eternal. The characters are the damned, the voiceless, the rejected. Some fight their loneliness with violence and depravity, some with sex or drink, and some -- like Mick -- with a quiet, intensely personal search for beauty (I copied that off a website)
mark
Other than Harry Potter of course, try reading The Hardy Boys. They are detectives and those books are really good. I have read about 150 of them. The best thing is that you dont get tired by reading them.
52tease
Why did I think Terry Hatchet was a woman? Oh well.

I have to admit that I am a huge fan of a very simple read. The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint Exupery is truly amazing. It is suppossed to be a kids a book, but the lessons in it are certainly for adults.

Although I read a lot of books (part of my trade) I always come back to this one to help remember the important things in life. The other great thing about it is you can read it in a day or two without a problem.

52tease
Dark_Jedi06
Animal Farm by George Orwell

Call of the Wild or White Fang both by Jack London.
kuad
I agree with icugaming, The Rule of Four is much, much better than Da Vinci Code. It's better written and there is actual character development and interesting plot.

For humour, I'd say Terry Pratchett or Douglas Adams.

For fantasy, Raymond E. Feist, Robert Jordan, Sara Douglas
meet in rio
Anything by Garcia Marquez. Start with One Hundred Years of Solitude[/i[ if you want the classic or [i]Chrinicle of a Death Foretold if you're looking for something a bit shorter.

Watership Down by Richard Adams.

Vile Bodies by Evelyn Waugh. I'm about to start on Brideshead Revisited.

Northern Lights (I believe it's called The Golden Compass in the USA), The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass and Clockwork by Philip Pullman. (All children's books)
netsearcher2000
Hi,

Are there any books what encourage us to improve our characteristics & business running?

Thanks.
bharatchoragudi
AIRPORT By Arthur Hailey!
apl_cdr
anything by milan kundera is a good read for me: unbearable lightness of being, identity, laughable loves, etc.

the same goes for gabriel garcia marquez and john steinbeck
Olivia Wood
If you haven't read Joseph Heller's Catch-22 already, make plans to stop by the library/bookstore.

Honestly, I don't know anybody who's read this book and doesn't like it. It's a great read - the sort of classic you wish they'd let you read in high school instead of Shakespere and Dickens twenty times over.

Technically, it's historical fiction, an ani-war novel - but it's not boring! A must-read considering the current political atmosphere. And it's very, very entertaining, trust me. Smile I'd say more, but I think you should just read it. You'll love it, more likely than not.
pecocer
I have just discovered "The black snow", a russian novel by Bulgakovs. It's quite old (the writer died in 1940), but I like his style and his very personal sense of humour very much.

It's cynical and offbeat humour gives a special taste to the plot, otherwise completely dark.
sangharsha
Stephen Hawking's 'A bref history of time' is one of my best books. This is great even you dont have keen interest in physics...

You can quickly browse it here, if you are interested.

Any queries and comments are welcome.
WinterMoon
There are two single-installment novels that I would definitely recommend and one trilogy (in addition to the collection of shorts that fit with it)

1. Timeline by Michael Crighton.
FORGET about the movie - they totally screwed up on it. The book itself is awesome. Smile

2. Jane Eyre
I read this first when I was somethin around 11 years old, and it fascinated me even then. To this day it remains high on my list of re-reads, and have had to buy 3 copies in order to not destroy the ones I have completely. Smile

and the Trilogy...
Black Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop.
God I love them. I think I'm on my 4th or 5th copy of each! There's also a collection of short stories she wrote... two post-trilogy (I think) one during, and one post. They're wonderful. ^_^

WinterMoon
~tang~
The "Tales of the Otori" trilogy by Lian Hearn.

It's a great, albeit breif look into the world of old Japan. It's written by an Australian who lived in Japan for a while. It's great.

And on a similar note, probably the most famous novel in Japan: Miyamoto Musashi.

It's an enormous saga of events that tells the story of a reformed larrakin who becomes a Samurai. I can see it being tedious for some, but it's fantastic read if you like long books/japan/intersting stories
IceCameron
Olivia Wood wrote:
If you haven't read Joseph Heller's Catch-22 already, make plans to stop by the library/bookstore.

Honestly, I don't know anybody who's read this book and doesn't like it. It's a great read - the sort of classic you wish they'd let you read in high school instead of Shakespere and Dickens twenty times over.

Technically, it's historical fiction, an ani-war novel - but it's not boring! A must-read considering the current political atmosphere. And it's very, very entertaining, trust me. Smile I'd say more, but I think you should just read it. You'll love it, more likely than not.

I totally agree, and its not even a heavy read. I'm thirteen and loved it!
Ioana
I think the forum here is anyway full of recommandations - so if these here were not enough for you, just read in other topics and you can find a lot.
Deathskin
The Testament by John Grisham
A Time to Kill by John Grisham

Two excellent books
charliehk
As a Man Thinketh James Allen

A book full of wisdom
brodymosley
If you like action ad adventure, then read Louis Lamoure or CLIVE CUSSLER
Mizar
If you like the fantasy, I recommend "The Lord Of The Rings"

Mizar-
zorindart
In my oppinion Smiley's trilogy ("Tinker, tailor, sailor, spy"; "The honourable schoolboy" and "Smiley's people") are the best of le Carré's works.
kazoe
if you're into fantasy, and fancies humor, try reading Terry Pratchett books, especially the Discworld series. You're going to like it, and you're going to love the characters