FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

WOrth it?

dz9c
I got a motherboard with a processor (Celeron D 2.93 ghz) and the max bus i can get out of any processor on this motherboard is 533mhz FSB but i wanna upgrade to a pentium 4. would this processor work you think? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819116175
psycosquirrel
What is your mobo?

I would guess that you can't use the processor you linked to though, it has an FSB of 800 and you said your mobo only does up to 533.
dz9c
yea but couldnt i turb back the cpu to 533
Kelvin
Your P4 would be underperfroming and that would be sorta a waste to upgrade. You could look for the 533MHz P4 processor if it still exists in the market. BTW is your motherboard a socket 478 or the LGA etc?
dz9c
socket 478. kinda outdated too, has no agp or pcie slot x_x ended up buying a 100 dollar PCI graphics card
psycosquirrel
I would say upgrade your entire system then. You can build a very inexpensive, very powerful socket 939 system for very little these days. Not to mention you could reuse your case, PSU, RAM, and drives to cut back costs even more.

I have tons of s478 processors in my closet Laughing they are worthless at this point... Cool
Kelvin
yeah, looks like your motherboard isn't up for upgrading. NO AGP? Sad IMO I wouldn't go for any motherboard without an AGP slot. The new systems are pretty cheap now so it's better to opt for a new one since there isn't much room to upgrade on your motherboard.

1.) No AGP
2.) 533MHz only instead of dual 800MHz
3.) RAM can't run in dual mode
4.) 533MHz P4 still available in market?
DecayClan
dz9c wrote:
yea but couldnt i turb back the cpu to 533

Of course you can, and the cpu will do it automatically.

But it doesn't really worth it... the differences between the 2 cpu's aren't that great, and if you also consider your mobo, and the rest of the parts...then better leave it...gather money and upgrade everything, 3months after the vista are releashed at the market.
ForceRun
Yeah, I agree, you really should concider a full system upgrade, you can get a lot more preformance off a basic duel core system.