FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Additional link on a certain page (convienience only)

ocalhoun
Code:
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vf-__.html&mark=topics

On the page that displays when under URL's similar to this one, you only really have two options: Go back to the forum or go back to the index.
Of course I don't want to go back to the forum, because I've just marked all the topics as read and don't want to be bothered with the ones I haven't opened yet.
Oftentimes, I don't want to go to the index either, though.
I often browse by category, and find myself doing something like this:
*Operating Systems
>Mark all topics as read
>Go back to forum
>Computers
>Software

Or something like this:
*Operating Systems
>Mark all topics as read
>Forum Index
>Scroll Scroll Scroll Scroll
>Software

Where, if there were better links on that page, it could be reduced to this:
*Operating Systems
>Mark all topics as read
>Computers
>Software

Not only would this make things more convenient, it might save bandwidth in that it will eliminate either uselessly loading the forum that was just marked as read or uselessly loading the entire index from the process.
LukeakaDanish
Not a bad idea at all.

Quite a few other minor layout additions/modifications have been discussed, and everybody always agrees that its a good idea - nothing ever happens though, so I expect this will stay as it is as well...

Once the site redesign is out, we might be lucky to see all those great ideas implemented *hopes*
Traveller
You DO, of course, realise that the navigation PATH is displayed at the top and bottom of the page?

For example:
Quote:
"FRIHOST Forum Index -> Computers -> Operating Systems"

If you click on "FRIHOST Forum Index," it takes you back to the index where, as you said, you'd have to scroll quite a bit.

If you click on "Operating Systems," it takes you back to the forum where, as you said, you just finished up with it and want to go elsewhere.

But, if you click on "Computers," it will take you back to "Computers," where you will be able to select "Software" without scrolling.
ocalhoun
No, not in the view forum page, the page that loads after your click 'mark all topics read'.
*tests it to be sure*
That page does not give a link to the current category.
Traveller
ocalhoun wrote:
No, not in the view forum page, the page that loads after your click 'mark all topics read'.
*tests it to be sure*
That page does not give a link to the current category.

Maybe you and I are trying two different "mark all topics read" links. I tried it before I posted the above message, and it works fine. After you click the "mark" link, you get a screen that says:
Quote:

The topics for this forum have now been marked read

Click Here to return to the forum

On THAT page, there are only the links to the index, and to the forum, but that page only stays on the screen for about three seconds before it automatically reloads to go back to the forum (or, of course, you could click the provided link for that). Once you are back in the forum the category link is present in the navigational path shown at the top and bottom of the page, next to the "New Topic" button.
ocalhoun
Traveller wrote:

On THAT page, there are only the links to the index, and to the forum,

That's what I'm talking about.
A link to the current category there would be nice. I see no reason at all to return to a forum you've just marked read (can you think of a reason?), so when I do so planning to go to another category entirely, I click the forum index link quick like before I have to wait for the forum's page to load. It would be nice, however, to be able to do the same when I want to stay within the current category.
Traveller
ocalhoun wrote:
Traveller wrote:

On THAT page, there are only the links to the index, and to the forum,

That's what I'm talking about.
A link to the current category there would be nice. I see no reason at all to return to a forum you've just marked read (can you think of a reason?), so when I do so planning to go to another category entirely, I click the forum index link quick like before I have to wait for the forum's page to load. It would be nice, however, to be able to do the same when I want to stay within the current category.

Hmmm....that page is on the screen for such a short time, it would hardly seem worth it, especially since the automatic redirect brings up a page that DOES have the link you want.

Still, it WOULD eliminate one click or a three-second wait.
ocalhoun
Traveller wrote:

Still, it WOULD eliminate one click or a three-second wait. + loading time for the topic list page.
Traveller
ocalhoun wrote:
Traveller wrote:

Still, it WOULD eliminate one click or a three-second wait. + loading time for the topic list page.

Okay - a total of six seconds if you actually wait for the page to load, but the link shows up well before that (at least for me, and I only have a 128K connection).
SonLight
How about, instead of the:

"Click Here to return to the forum"

it showed the category tree, such as:

Then you could return to any desired point in the index tree.

A fancier solution would be to have a drop-down menu, from which you could select any of the forums as listed above, but each would have sub-menus such as:

Computers -> (Open this forum group)
Operating Systems
Hardware
... etc ...

That would depend on the ability to click on the drop-down and have it cancel the redirect. I question whether this kind of menu would be easy to add, but if it is, it could be used elsewhere also to avoid excessive scrolling on complex multilevel forums. Now I wonder why I've never seen anything like it on any forum?
ocalhoun
SonLight wrote:
How about, instead of the:

"Click Here to return to the forum"

it showed the category tree, such as:

That's it exactly!
TomS
I have the link "Mark all tops as read" as bookmark. That works pretty good for me.
simplyw00x
Yet again, why is it that we have scores of ugly hacks suggested when a real solution would require 1 line of code in one template to be changed; solving the problem for everyone and creating a problem for no-one. Forum users should not work on the basis that PHPBB is immutable, or that it is such an effort to change as to be immutable - Bondings could solve this problem easily by getting someone to help with coding, and the fact that he is inundated with work is to some extent his ow fault because he delegates none of it.

Fair game - it's his site after all - but you guys don't have to accept as writ that forum owners are by right too busy to change things for the better.