FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

spam prevention

MYP415
Ok first of all I did a search and didn't find any topics similar to this but if there is one please delete it. My suggestion is to restrict users from posting links until they have a certain amount of posts. This way, those bots can't just join and add pages of links. Also it may keep some spammers (who don't use bots but just do the spamming themselves) away when they see the restriction. I've seen this used on other forums and I think it would be good here too.
wumingsden
MYP415 wrote:
Ok first of all I did a search and didn't find any topics similar to this but if there is one please delete it. My suggestion is to restrict users from posting links until they have a certain amount of posts. This way, those bots can't just join and add pages of links. Also it may keep some spammers (who don't use bots but just do the spamming themselves) away when they see the restriction. I've seen this used on other forums and I think it would be good here too.

It has already been suggested but i believe that this was in the staff forum. I think this feature will be implemented, but you'd have to wait for bondings to officially confirm this.

A good suggestion, i'm glad members are trying to prevent the posting of spam
Bondings
The problem is that bots don't care about all those restrictions. They post gibberish, they post links in text format, they use the wrong links/urls, ...
Hogwarts
MYP415 wrote:

That seems a bit stupid to me (No offense)

I mean, if users who sign up cannot post until they get a certain amount of posts... Well, don't you kinda see that new users will not be able to post at all..?
reddishblue
Hogwarts wrote:
MYP415 wrote:

That seems a bit stupid to me (No offense)

I mean, if users who sign up cannot post until they get a certain amount of posts... Well, don't you kinda see that new users will not be able to post at all..?

Um he said posting links not posting Wink
jipmerite
I had a major problem in my forum hosted on Frih with 10 new registrations per day, obviously by a bot and each new one having the same Website in the profile.

Solved the problem by activating Visual Confirmation in the sign up process.

Is there anything Frih Admins can do about these bots?
Bondings
jipmerite wrote:
I had a major problem in my forum hosted on Frih with 10 new registrations per day, obviously by a bot and each new one having the same Website in the profile.

Solved the problem by activating Visual Confirmation in the sign up process.

Is there anything Frih Admins can do about these bots?

The visual confirmation is already activated. The problem is that some bots are able to read them (actually even better than humans, it's just not as easy to program in a few hours). Also the human spammers are a problem.

But as I said before, I'm working on a different registration page without any profile fields and on a different location. This should certainly help a lot against the spam bots.