FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows XP Instalation issues over AMD

ronald.helpdesk
Hi every one, I got some problems installing Ms-Windows over a MTVIG-400 Rev:7.1 as you expert surely know with these brief text, it's a Socket A, I've tested the RAM, it's OK, the processor, OK, the IDE cables OK, the Hard Drive OK, when tested in other computer, in the firt one, gives me format errors and stuff like that, then; when I try to install Windows, the installation package sends several copy fail errors.

After some checking I tried into another computer, alike in every part, MB, CD-ROM, RAM, PROCESSOR, and got cero installation issues, do I have to throw to the can the motherboard??? or do you thing that something can be made to rescue it?

I personaly think it may be a I/O failure in the IDE Ports, so, a BIOS Update come to my head, but frankly I kindda be afraid of the results... BIOSTAR is somehow sensitive to this kind of procedures.
askchris
One thing that you maybe have not had a look at is the PSU, if you have tested the other components you may find a problem with the output wattage of the psu, I would make sure it is at least 350w and if you have another of the same or higher wattage, try that, as I seem to remember when I first assembled machines with socket A and Slot A there were a lot of power supply issues, as these chips are very power hungry.

I hope this helps
ronald.helpdesk
askchris wrote:
One thing that you maybe have not had a look at is the PSU, if you have tested the other components you may find a problem with the output wattage of the psu, I would make sure it is at least 350w and if you have another of the same or higher wattage, try that, as I seem to remember when I first assembled machines with socket A and Slot A there were a lot of power supply issues, as these chips are very power hungry.

I hope this helps

Actually, when I installed in the other computer, I used the very same PSU that I used before, I guess I have to face the truth and asume that the MB is fried...
DesChut3s
I find it hard to believe that a motherboard would fry, yet even pass POST. I've never really heard of Windows not installing due to a hardware problem such as that. What I'd like to know, is the processor 64-bit? I'm sure your well aware of the difference between 64-bit XP and i386, nevertheless it could be something to look into.

As far as I know, you could be having a problem with the communications between the processor and motherboard. Have you tried using a different processor in the same motherboard? Find out if anyone else has been having the same problem as you.

Good luck.
ronald.helpdesk
DesChut3s wrote:
I find it hard to believe that a motherboard would fry, yet even past POST. I've never really heard of Windows not installing due to a hardware problem such as that. What I'd like to know, is the processor 64-bit? I'm sure your well aware of the difference between 64-bit XP and i386, nevertheless it could be something to look into.

As far as I know, you could be having a problem with the communications between the processor and motherboard. Have you tried using a different processor in the same motherboard? Find out if anyone else has been having the same problem as you.

Good luck.

wow, this one, seems to be very logic, I´ll check out... and nop, it's a 32 bit system...
Arnie
Socket A sounds quite old. Capacitor plague perhaps? Check whether your motherboard's capacitors are looking OK.

See http://www.careyholzman.com/caps/gallery3.htm to find out what I'm talking about Razz They don't have to be blown up all the way though to cause errors. http://www.careyholzman.com/caps/images/KT7Raid-2.jpg
Teezgaff
I've had the same problem many times and it has always been the RAM. If you have 2 sticks in the slots take 1 out and try installing with just the 1 stick. The copy errors originate when reading from cd ->storing to RAM then writing to drive. The problems I had always started around 56% of install of files starting with modem.sys then ks.sys and then on.

Hope that helps.
Arnie
Or just run a memtest86 to verify the memory. Tip: try memtest86+ if you just want it on a bootable floppy. http://www.memtest.org/ You have to run it for like 12 hours to be sure the memory is errorless. The moment you get an error you can shut it down because you know your mem is faulty.