FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Replace the art and personal pictures with an image gallery?

Which image gallery do you want?
The forum gallery is more than enough.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
4Images Gallery
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Coppermine Photo Gallery
80%
 80%  [ 4 ]
Gallery
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

Bondings
Would it be a good idea to replace the "art gallery" and "pictures gallery" by an image gallery program?
Like "4Images Gallery", "Coppermine Photo Gallery" or"Gallery" of Fantastico? Or something else? (I'll add that option)
Maka
Nore sure if theres a lot of pics then yes if not no, also I reccomend 4Images Gallery. Wink
n0obie4life
I recommend

http://smartor.is-root.com 's Photo Album made for phpBB
wistom
4Images Gallery i vote. i think that's enough.
WickedGravity
I have an idea that is along the same lines, but a little different.

Yes, get a gallery going, definately.

However, make it a subdomain. http://gallery.frihost.com

Install that MOD that let's you make a "Forum" into a link. If you look at the Area51 Forums at http://www.phpbb.com, you will see what I mean there.

Did that make any sense?
mOrpheuS
So how do the members go about posting their images there ?
does their forum username-password work for the 4images gallery too ?
can the two be integrated ?

If that can be done, then I am all for it.
else probably not.
meangurl
i agree with the person above, if we don't have to register in the gallery then that would be great... but if we have to then i guess we'll settle with the phpbb mod stated above.
Bondings
Yes, but the phpbb mod is only for a link, it doesn't make a gallery. And you make a good point that the gallery should have the same username/password.

But this is possible with coppermine: http://coppermine.sourceforge.net/manual.php#integrating_steps_special_phpbb_start . Wink
n0obie4life
Cool...!!!!

I'm using Smartor's Album last time. Its quite nice too.
mOrpheuS
Bondings wrote:
the gallery should have the same username/password.

But this is possible with coppermine

great then, Coppermine it shall be. Cool

Also (I'm just guessing as I'm not sure how it works) the images posted on the gallery like coppermine will be stored on the FRIhost server.
unlike somebody posting images on the forum, in which case they'd probably hotlink images stored elsewhere.

it may be nothing for now, but going forward, an image gallery can take up substantial amount of disk space and bandwidth. and can be misused by people using FRIhost - the free image hosting !

I hope I'm not playing spoil-sport by pointing out so many things
Wink
Bondings
mOrpheuS wrote:
it may be nothing for now, but going forward, an image gallery can take up substantial amount of disk space and bandwidth. and can be misused by people using FRIhost - the free image hosting !

Wink

I don't have much knowledge about coppermine, but there should be a maximum file size somewhere. And I can always turn on the hotlink protection if people start hotlinking.

Let's take an average file size of 200Kb per image. And take 1000 images. That would only make 200Mb of space. And I doubt we would get 1000 images soon. At the moment there are like 200 pictures as a rough guess.
n0obie4life
Image moderators Very Happy.
Bondings
n0obie4life wrote:
Image moderators Very Happy.

Yes, the same usergroups will/should stay. Wink
Devil
Bondings wrote:
mOrpheuS wrote:

Wink

I don't have much knowledge about coppermine, but there should be a maximum file size somewhere. And I can always turn on the hotlink protection if people start hotlinking.

Let's take an average file size of 200Kb per image. And take 1000 images. That would only make 200Mb of space. And I doubt we would get 1000 images soon. At the moment there are like 200 pictures as a rough guess.

yes u can define what the size of image should be , and how much quota a member can get , by default coppermine has 1 mb of size per user , but u can change that ,

u will have to work out the settings , so users dont create private albums , i mean password protected ,

i think coppermin is really good , Very Happy