FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Problem with GeForce 6600

Da Rossa
This happened to a friend that has gone crazy with the lack of perspective for a solution to this.

He's got a nice machine, a P4 Dual core, 1.8GHz/core, 1,5GB DDR, Asus p% Series MOBO, 37GB 10000RPM HDD and the mentioned video card. Before it he had other two 512MB Graphics cards, one nvidia-don't-know-the-model and an ATI, similar to this in processing power.

BUT, although he had already set every configuration to performance not quality in the properties, such as vertical sync, antialising, anisofiltering, blablabla, he can't play ordinary games well. First of them: Counter-Strike (the first one, v1.6, based on hl1 engine): the fps barely rises above 50, and it keeps oscillating. If he tries playing online, incredibly the fps shown in the net_graph drops below 50% of what was before, I mean, it comes to the interval containing 25-30. But if he closes the "find servers" window, the fps rises to 90, not 100 again, and when he creates a game to walk alone in the map the fps drops, again, to 50. In some conditions, even alone, it can get to 15.

Other game is another one that he happily acquired, Need For Speed Carbon, and got upset immediately. The fps, not specified, is visibly below 20.

His PC has been reformatted recently, after the first issues with the same board appeared (I mean, since he bought it), I don't think that it is about malware running in the backgroud as I've seen the task manager and there are quite few running processes, none is unknown, also it's not about the in-game rendering commands such as those beginning with gl_ in CS, as he did not alter the default values of any. When he first put the brand new GF 6600 video board in that PCI-E slot, the problem appeared. He uses resolution in Windows 1280x1024, in CS as well, but it does not improve to change it back to 640x480.
At last, I'm not experienced in dual core processors, but I found pretty weird that, while the game was running, I saw in the processes in task manager that the main applications (IE, Explorer and HL.exe (the CS)) were sharing the processing percentage, like they were fighting for priority. Is this normal?
Thanks.

Any idea is welcome.
gh0stface
When you said recently formatted what exactly do you mean? When he reformatted, did he have the ATI card installed? Then when he received the 6600 take out the ATI and install the 6600 after the format?

Remember, that newest nVidia drivers aren't always the best ones.
psycosquirrel
Counter-Strike 1.6 will not run above 60fps unless you tweak the configs, that is the game problem, not the video card. I used to get well over 200 fps in dev mode on my old AGP 5500 back in the day, so he should definently get something higher than that. Then again, I run 1.6 in 640x480 so I get higher scores and can aim with more precision. I didn't see much of an fps drop to 1024x768 though. Try entering the commands developer 1 and r_speeds 1 in cs to monitor the fps. Also enter fps_max 999 so that the fps can go as high as it wants.

As for NFS: Carbon, it is a newer game, with eye candy on at any res, the 6600 will probably get bad framerates. The 6600 is an OLD card as of now, he shouldn't expect amazing fps in recently-released games designed for the 7xxx series.
Da Rossa
psycosquirrel wrote:
Counter-Strike 1.6 will not run above 60fps unless you tweak the configs, that is the game problem, not the video card. I used to get well over 200 fps in dev mode on my old AGP 5500 back in the day, so he should definently get something higher than that. Then again, I run 1.6 in 640x480 so I get higher scores and can aim with more precision. I didn't see much of an fps drop to 1024x768 though. Try entering the commands developer 1 and r_speeds 1 in cs to monitor the fps. Also enter fps_max 999 so that the fps can go as high as it wants.

As for NFS: Carbon, it is a newer game, with eye candy on at any res, the 6600 will probably get bad framerates. The 6600 is an OLD card as of now, he shouldn't expect amazing fps in recently-released games designed for the 7xxx series.

I guess you made a mistake, in CS it is not possible to rise above 100 fps, if I know well the game, but what is this "dev mode"?
The r_speeds has nothing special besides displaying the current w/epollys, what is not relevant at this because I was walking through well-known maps such as de_aztec. Fps_max 999 is useless, the effective max is 101. Other in-game commands are irrelevant as well because he has not modified the defaults, and they are pretty fine regarding graphics.

Quote:
When you said recently formatted what exactly do you mean? When he reformatted, did he have the ATI card installed? Then when he received the 6600 take out the ATI and install the 6600 after the format?

He first put the 6600, the problem occured, he tried fixing, nothing worked, then he reformatted, the prob remained, and nothing further would work.

Having had a ATI board prior to this should be a matter to be concerned?
Thanks guys!
gh0stface
Da Rossa wrote:

Quote:

He first put the 6600, the problem occured, he tried fixing, nothing worked, then he reformatted, the prob remained, and nothing further would work.

Having had a ATI board prior to this should be a matter to be concerned?
Thanks guys!

Ok. Sounds like you said that he reformatted again with the 6600 in place the second time.

He really shouldn't be having any problems with using a 6600 to get 100 FPS. I still have a GF3 Ti500 and achieve 100 FPS using 800x600.

One thing that I remember that could knock FPS fairly low in CS is if he has Vsync, AA(Anti-Aliasing) and (Anisotropic Filter) turned on. So try turning them off.

I also took a look in my autoexec.cfg in my cstrike folder. Make sure to add somewhere: r_mmx "1"

Ignore psycosquirrel developer commands. They essentially do nothing for gamers. Those commands were implemented for mapmakers(hence the developer command name) to see how much drops in FPS and what not there would be in certain area of maps.

What driver version is he using?
Straevaras
If you're using Steam, you should (at least I can in Half-Life) achieve a so-called FPS of above 100 by typing in developer 1 in the console. Like I said, I use that command for Half-Life 1.6, I don't see why it wouldn't work for Counter-Strike 1.6.

When you mentioned the problem that the graphics performance was terrible on the machine, has he tried any other sort of game or application that might somewhat demand the graphics card to work? Try to just sit on the desktop and "violently" shake a window around. Does he notice any lag shaking it around? I have a friend who had that very problem before, had a graphics card (don't know what make it was, but it was up there, probably a little higher than the 6600) and he wasn't getting good performance in game and couldn't even shake a window a lot just sitting on his desktop with the system lagging. He took his computer in to a computer guy, who said that there was a loose capacitor on the video card.

So I'm guessing that if you've tried everything as far as software goes, there actually might be something physically wrong with the graphics card. Don't eliminate that possibility.
psycosquirrel
developer 1 is the dev mode I was referring to. I still call it dev mode from when I used to work on mapping and such back in the early days of CS (pre-1.5).

Oh, and it is VERY possible to get well over 100 fps in CS 1.6. I play at 100 fps with dev mode off, but with dev mode on, you can easily get massive fps.

Straevaras made a good point too; something could be wrong with the graphics card, why hasn't he contacted the vendor and asked for their support or a replacement? If he bought it from a good builder (eVGA, BFG, XFX, etc), they will probably be glad to give him a different one.
gh0stface
Yes, I know it's possible to get over 100 FPS with developer 1 on. However it does NOTHING for gamers when they are playing CS. That command is for map developers and map developers only.
psycosquirrel
As with anything over 60 fps because of vsync or your refresh rate. I make maps, I'm no noob to any of this Cool
gh0stface
Actually, there IS a huge difference between 60 FPS and 100 FPS. But it DOES depend on refresh rate and the monitor.

If your CRT monitor can have a refresh rate of 100hz and your computer allows you to have 100fps, you can tell the difference when you cap the fps to 60. Assuming you have vsync, aa and the other eye candy turned off.
psycosquirrel
It makes a difference for cameras, or things of that sort. Not for the human eye. Most people can't see past 60Hz, and very very few past 70. If you can see 60Hz, then you will be able to see florescent lights flickering. Not some, but all florescent lights, because AC power runs at 60Hz (old devices used to time based on the input frequency of the power. Power companies keep the power at 60Hz to keep a standard and allow people who for some reason would still be using that old of stuff to continue using it).

The only other time is when you are playing an fps and using twitch reflex to aim. If so, higher fps can make extremely fast movements smoother, but most gamers do not care about twitch reflex. My prior point was what I just stated; most gamers do not need any more than 60fps. Unfortunately, I (and probably you too, since we are discussing this) use twitch reflex as the only method of aim, since I am best sniping. So 100fps really can be important, but it is not to the average gamer.
Da Rossa
Straevaras wrote:
If you're using Steam, you should (at least I can in Half-Life) achieve a so-called FPS of above 100 by typing in developer 1 in the console. Like I said, I use that command for Half-Life 1.6, I don't see why it wouldn't work for Counter-Strike 1.6.

When you mentioned the problem that the graphics performance was terrible on the machine, has he tried any other sort of game or application that might somewhat demand the graphics card to work? Try to just sit on the desktop and "violently" shake a window around. Does he notice any lag shaking it around? I have a friend who had that very problem before, had a graphics card (don't know what make it was, but it was up there, probably a little higher than the 6600) and he wasn't getting good performance in game and couldn't even shake a window a lot just sitting on his desktop with the system lagging. He took his computer in to a computer guy, who said that there was a loose capacitor on the video card.

So I'm guessing that if you've tried everything as far as software goes, there actually might be something physically wrong with the graphics card. Don't eliminate that possibility.

Just a correction:
- there is no "Half-Life 1.6", and whether the legend says it's possible to achieve more than 100 fps in HL not CS, this doesn't matter unfortunately Sad

And yes, we did the "window agressively dragged/shaken test", and the window really lagged to shift.

Loose capacitor? Oh God, I hope you're wrong, never heard about something like this before... it's kinda bad luck Razz

We have reasons not to believe that it's physical, since this is the third board that comes with this problem.

psycosquirrel wrote:
developer 1 is the dev mode I was referring to. I still call it dev mode from when I used to work on mapping and such back in the early days of CS (pre-1.5).

Oh, and it is VERY possible to get well over 100 fps in CS 1.6. I play at 100 fps with dev mode off, but with dev mode on, you can easily get massive fps.

Straevaras made a good point too; something could be wrong with the graphics card, why hasn't he contacted the vendor and asked for their support or a replacement? If he bought it from a good builder (eVGA, BFG, XFX, etc), they will probably be glad to give him a different one.

I admit I thought it was impossible to rise above 100 fps in CS... and, as stated before, three graphics cards with the same issue are really unlikely.

gh0stface wrote:
Yes, I know it's possible to get over 100 FPS with developer 1 on. However it does NOTHING for gamers when they are playing CS. That command is for map developers and map developers only.

And to complete: I'm a holiday-time mapper, didn't know that, I'm embarassed.

gh0stface wrote:
Actually, there IS a huge difference between 60 FPS and 100 FPS. But it DOES depend on refresh rate and the monitor.

If your CRT monitor can have a refresh rate of 100hz and your computer allows you to have 100fps, you can tell the difference when you cap the fps to 60. Assuming you have vsync, aa and the other eye candy turned off.

The monitor is set to 60Hz, and, like I said before, the basic performance settings in the video configurations were already set to max performance, (AA, AF, VS).

psycosquirrel wrote:
It makes a difference for cameras, or things of that sort. Not for the human eye. Most people can't see past 60Hz, and very very few past 70. If you can see 60Hz, then you will be able to see florescent lights flickering. Not some, but all florescent lights, because AC power runs at 60Hz (old devices used to time based on the input frequency of the power. Power companies keep the power at 60Hz to keep a standard and allow people who for some reason would still be using that old of stuff to continue using it).

The only other time is when you are playing an fps and using twitch reflex to aim. If so, higher fps can make extremely fast movements smoother, but most gamers do not care about twitch reflex. My prior point was what I just stated; most gamers do not need any more than 60fps. Unfortunately, I (and probably you too, since we are discussing this) use twitch reflex as the only method of aim, since I am best sniping. So 100fps really can be important, but it is not to the average gamer.

Thanks for the class about the flickering frequency of AC. However the FPS DOES MATTER in CS, for two reasons: first, unexplainablely we can feel the difference between 60 and 100 in the eye when playing, although the human eye takes only 24 fps. Second, when the fps is comprimised, so is your aim, because the crosshair takes too long to shrink back at lower rates.

And to add again: CS was not the only game he tried, he tried BFS Carbon too, but here the FPS was even more slow-motion-like.
gh0stface
psycosquirrel wrote:

Seeing... maybe. I know on my old CRT monitor if I had it at 60-75Hz, my eyes would start to hurt compared to when I had it at 100Hz. Also, you can feel a difference in game play. But you are somewhat correct. To an average gamer, they won't even know about FPS and Hz. But to a more hardcore gamer, there's a huge difference. I should know. I use to be heavily involved in competitive CS when I was playing on a Duron 700 overclocked to 1 Gig and running a TNT PCI video card.

Da Rossa wrote:

The monitor is set to 60Hz, and, like I said before, the basic performance settings in the video configurations were already set to max performance, (AA, AF, VS).

Now, I'm not sure what type of monitor you, using 60Hz sounds like probably an LCD. Since you have all the eye candy turned on(AA, AF, VS), that's most likely your culprit for the extreme slow FPS. Try turning them at a lower setting or off. I bet you'll see a huge gain in FPS.
Da Rossa
Ghost, you didn't understand, they're already set to max PERFORMANCE, not QUALITY, and quality would be brought by turning on those settings ON, which are NOT!
Vertical Sync is OFF
Anti aliasing is OFF
Anisofiltering is OFF
Performance, according to the manufactures of the video card, means a fast "playback", leaving the graphic details behind. As you can see yourself, some settings in that tab can have the bar dragged to either side, the fast or slow, in the fast side it's written "performance" and in the slow is "quality".
gh0stface
Da Rossa wrote:
Ghost, you didn't understand, they're already set to max PERFORMANCE, not QUALITY, and quality would be brought by turning on those settings ON, which are NOT!
Vertical Sync is OFF
Anti aliasing is OFF
Anisofiltering is OFF
Performance, according to the manufactures of the video card, means a fast "playback", leaving the graphic details behind. As you can see yourself, some settings in that tab can have the bar dragged to either side, the fast or slow, in the fast side it's written "performance" and in the slow is "quality".

Ah, sorry, I misread what you meant by max performance.

About your problem, it's really weird. I really can't think of anything else to help try and fix it. The only thing I can think of is do a full format, not the quick erase of the hard drive one and make sure you have the motherboard driver installed first then the rest of the drivers. Such as video card, sound card, LAN card and whatnot.
Da Rossa
gh0stface wrote:
Da Rossa wrote:
Vertical Sync is OFF
Anti aliasing is OFF
Anisofiltering is OFF

Ah, sorry, I misread what you meant by max performance.

About your problem, it's really weird. I really can't think of anything else to help try and fix it. The only thing I can think of is do a full format, not the quick erase of the hard drive one and make sure you have the motherboard driver installed first then the rest of the drivers. Such as video card, sound card, LAN card and whatnot.

No problem Very Happy
And thanks for your help anyway. I'll let my friend read in here.
But, if anyone else knows something else... Smile
DecayClan
Simple
Buy a new PSU.
You didn't mention anything about it;
Nice computer, but also consumes pretty much energy;
If your psu can't supply your computer with enough power, then the computer will work at lower capacities(even drop to 30% before crash for good).
How can you check this out?Disconnect everything not usefull(dvd-drives,modem,sound card, etc, and check out if the game is unning better, if it is, then, go buy a new, powerfull psu.
How about the temperatures?If your computer is over heating, then except from getting unstable, there also is an option names CPU throtling(or something like that) that drops the capacity of the cpu, to cool it down.
also make sure that the cpu is always working at its normal capacities, and that the "cool and easy' technics (which are there to conserve power, and to reduce heat production) are working only when they must.(
Da Rossa
I didn't notice the possibility of being the PSU!
Thanks, I'll tell my friend.
But, this, in my opinion, seems to be an unlikely possibility, but we accept everything plausible. That's why any clues are welcome.
So, are there any more?
Thanks!