FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Desktop Programming

rameshbn1
Hi all,

Is there a good, free, simple desktop programming language, with a competent IDE, out there somewhere on the Net?

I've tried out SharpDevelop for C#. I found it OK, but I'm not really into .NET - so what else?
makli
You should try MS Visual Studio Express Editions (free downloadable from microsoft.com). These editions are available for C#, VB.net, C++ (not sure!) and for web development (asp.net).

Quite good IDEs, simple to use and only very few limitations, if you develop just desktop software.

If you want to use Java as programming language, there are also some good programs available, Netbeans (www.netbeans.org), Eclipse (www.eclipse.org) or also JBuilder (www.borland.com).

HTH

Manfred
Fire Boar
C++ is one of them, yes. I have C++ Express edition.
Arnie
If you want it really simple, try RGH PROFAN 6. It's similar to BASIC but more versatile because of its Pascal-like functions. See here to get your first program in 30 minutes. It's freeware, too!

If you want it more advanced I would recommend LCC-Win32 - freeware C, easy to get going. But still a hard language Wink
deepak
Why dont you use Python with Tk or wxPython.
umeshtangnu
rameshbn1 wrote:
Hi all,

Is there a good, free, simple desktop programming language, with a competent IDE, out there somewhere on the Net?

I've tried out SharpDevelop for C#. I found it OK, but I'm not really into .NET - so what else?

well you can go for python along with wxwindows or gtk or tcl/tk
or you can use delphi its a good language ,is quite easy to learn ,and has good user base and borland even gives its ide free .
Antoine_935
makli wrote:
You should try MS Visual Studio Express Editions (free downloadable from microsoft.com). These editions are available for C#, VB.net, C++ (not sure!) and for web development (asp.net).

Quite good IDEs, simple to use and only very few limitations, if you develop just desktop software.

The very problem of these free versions is that you only can compile programs for your own computer...
makli
Antoine_935 wrote:

The very problem of these free versions is that you only can compile programs for your own computer...

Absolutely false. With MS Visual Studio Express you can compile programs, which can run on every computer with an installed .Net2.0-runtime.

Who told you such a bu****it?

Makli