FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

HelpSVC.exe and svchost.exe using up your resources?

Teezgaff
I had this problem for a few days and couldn't understand why my processer and RAM resources were being eaten up..

It initially started when I had a connection problem (which I resolved) then after that my pc just slowed to a crawl. My virus scanner was taking nearly 18Hrs to comple a full scan!

I looked through taskmanager to see what was using the CPU and RAM and there they were HelpSvc.exe and svchost.exe. Although svchost.exe is always there I'd never seen it use so much CPU. Also I'd never seen HelpSvc.exe there for that long before.

I did a google search and found that many people had the same problem but couldn't track the cause. For me the answer was simple.. Just tun off Miscrosoft Autoupdate. Apparently when an update goes wrong the helpserv.exe kicks in and won't give up.

Good luck and watch your resources...
Sparda
I had the same exact problem. I thought it was just my computer. So it is the updater doing this eh? So this will stop so many processes on my computer right? I'll give it a try.
Teezgaff
Yeah just turn Autoupdates off via the security centre. To be safe just do a windows update everyweek.
tommyjordache
Do you guys have live messenger 8 (beta) and windows defender installed ?
Uninstall both completely (incl registry clean afterwards), then re-download the latest versions of both programs.

Should be okay then (lots of people having problems with these 2 progs)

cheers
tom
Teezgaff
No I don't use either.. Think mine started when downloaded MediaPlayer 11.
cheeta
There is a patch available to fix the Auto update issue which make SVCHOST to eat up system resources...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916089/en-us

but unfortunatelly MS hasnt made it publick... Sad its available with Paid support request... Sad