FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Ip changing

Sparda
Is it normal for a computer's IP address to change all of a sudden? The last 3 digits of my IP address was 102, and not it is 101. I have a Microsoft Windows XP computer. Emachines Intel. Why did this change happen?
ocalhoun
It is perfectly normal if you have a dynamic (assigned every time you boot up) address. DHCP (The protocol that assigns the addresses) tries to give you the same address every time, but sometimes fails because of someone else having the same address. If you are on your own private network, you could change to a static IP (always the same), but if the address you're talking about is your internet address, the only way to change it is through your ISP, and they will probably charge you extra for a static IP.
orcaz
It juz means that your ISP does not issue static IPs, rather, it issues a dynamic IP to you, which changes after a certain period of time.
tommyjordache
Hi,

if you need a static IP (f.i. for a constant webcam monitoring function), you can "link" your dynamic IP address to a (free) static one through dynDNS.net. There's plenty of tools for this on their website.

Cheers
Tom
Straevaras
If you're connected to a local network, it may very well change because of DHCP. It's nothing to worry about unless you have applications depending on a static IP, as such if you wanted to remote desktop into your computer. Of course with that, you would just make note of the change and use the new IP instead. If you have applications depending on a static IP (such as some sort of server), then you really should consider getting a static IP. Other than that, you shouldn't worry about it.
xodia
depending on if you have dhcp, if yes then that is why, if no then i am not sure and do not have a clue... hope this helps... if you still have trouble e-mail me your router model number and a screenshot of the admin interface @ cvarty@gmail.com

once again hope this helps...
Sparda
The reason I wanted to know if this is ok is because I was playing my game one day and I had the IP entered so I can play local area network for it. I checked my IP to see what was wrong and I saw 101 instead of 102. I just wanted to know if it is normal for that to happen.

Thanks.
tommyjordache
Yes its normal...so no need to take my post into account...sorry...
cheers
Tom
cheeta
its normal only if u r with Dynamic IP address... otherways if u r paying for Static IP and u r getting Dynamic IP... then time to notify the ISP... Smile
AutoTechGuy
He's running a router... it's very unlikely for an ISP to assign an IP address of *.101.... let alone ALSO *.102... that just doesn't happen

If you don't want your IP to change you can either assign it statically in your computer.. or go into your router and assign a specific address to your MAC.
billgertz
I agree with Mr. AutoTechGuy.

This case is normal. it just matter if the program that you are using requires you to input ip address. those computer programmers and game creators should come up with a way wherein you will just select the list of computers including its name and local IP Address this way users will not be confused anymore..

Just thinking aloud.
LethcanAernis
It is normal if you have set your computer to use dynamicIP address through DHCP. When the lease goes out you can get the same or a new address. Wink