FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

J RR Tolkien

Avorroch
I haven`t see for now any Tolkien thread, becouse this i posted here a biograhpy from Tolkien UK site .
Quote:

'Bilbo baggins was a hobbit who lived in his hobbit-hole and never went for adventures until Gandalf the wizard and his dwarves persuaded him to go. He had a very exciting time fighting goblins and wargs...and returned home - rich!'

When 10-year-old Rayner Unwin produced this report for his father, publisher Stanley Unwin in 1936, he had no idea that the manuscript he had recommended would go on to be a remarkable success. Neither did its author, J.R.R.Tolkien, Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford, when, inexplicably, he jotted the famous opening sentence - 'In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit' - on a blank sheet while marking examination papers! Yet within a year of publication, The Hobbit had won the New York Herald Tribune prize for children's literature and was set to become a classic. The Lord of the Rings, which was written as a sequel the The Hobbit has also gone on to be one of the world's most widely-read works of literature. Having some forty books to his name J.R.R.Tolkien is one of our best-loved authors of all time.

John Ronald Reuel Tolkien was born on the 3rd January, 1892 at Bloemfontein in the Orange Free State, but at the age of four he and his brother were taken back to England by their mother. After his father's death the family moved to Sarehole, on the south-eastern edge of Birmingham. Tolkien spent a happy childhood in the countryside and his sensibility to the rural landscape can clearly be seen in his writing and his pictures.

His mother died when he was only twelve and both he and his brother were made wards of the local priest and sent to King Edward's School, Birmingham, where Tolkien shine in his classical work.After completing a First in English Language and Literature at Oxford, Tolkien married Edith Bratt. He was also commissioned in the Lancashire Fusiliers and fought in the battle of the Somme. After the war, he obtained a post on the New English Dictionary and began to write the mythological and legendary cycle which he originally called 'The Book of Lost Tales' but which eventually became known as The Silmarillion.

In 1920 Tolkien was appointed Reader in English Language at the University of Leeds which was the beginning of a distinguished academic career culminating with his election as Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford. Meanwhile Tolkien wrote for his children and told them the story of The Hobbit. It was his publisher, Stanley Unwin, who asked for a sequel to The Hobbit and gradually Tolkien wrote The Lord of the Rings, a huge story that took twelve years to complete and which was not published until Tolkien was approaching retirement. After retirement Tolkien and his wife lived near Oxford, but then moved to Bournemouth. Tolkien returned to Oxford after his wife's death in 1971. He died on 2 September 1973 leaving The Silmarillion to be edited for publication by his son, Christopher.

I really love this author, he gives me insipration to write my own stories, and now his son Christopher has start writing the Children of Hurin. It will be sure a excellent story. What you think about he?

P.S. If there exist such a thread delete this one.
S3nd K3ys
One of my favorite authors. He has a way of really putting you into the story.

I was amazed at the quality of the films that followed the books.

Very Happy
onlybooks
Really wonderfull writer i have read his all books ................... Cool

And So you can understand He is my favourite writer......... Very Happy
S3nd K3ys
onlybooks wrote:
Really wonderfull writer i have read his all books ................... Cool

And So you can understand He is my favourite writer......... Very Happy

Even The Silmarillion?

I couldn't get thru that one.

Sad
Arseniy
Quote:
Even The Silmarillion?

Eh, you lazy. I read Silmarillion for over 10 times:)
Tolkien is really cool. And films are just terrible. I'm waiting now for Hobbit and Silmarillion films, Silmarillion anime isn't really good, maybe film will be better.
S3nd K3ys
Arseniy wrote:
Quote:
Even The Silmarillion?

Eh, you lazy. I read Silmarillion for over 10 times:)
Tolkien is really cool. And films are just terrible. I'm waiting now for Hobbit and Silmarillion films, Silmarillion anime isn't really good, maybe film will be better.

I think it had more to do with the awkward layout, the lack of completion and other areas that made it difficult to comprehend. (I tried to read it almost 15 years ago, perhaps I should try again)

I thought the movies did a good job of staying with the story line, not like most movies I've read the books on, they don't compare.
evanc88
I guess I'm a lazy reader but I couldn't get through the books. They, to me, were very drawn out, boring and too informative--much like an encyclopedia. The movies were amazing though, I think Peter Jackson did an amazing job. I've read the Silmarillion a bit, and I liked a few of the stories from it, like Beren and Luthien.
Avorroch
yeah, his stories are beautiful. But sure, sometimes you must read a sentence more times, in Silm maybe..
KellaDayne
J Tolkien was the genious! His books are fantastic! "Lord of the ring" and "The Silmarillion" are just masterpiece!
Shewolf
I can't wait to get my hands on Narn i Chn Hrin. I do surely hope Christopher has done his work as good as in The Silmarillion, and all the other nearly-sort-of-finished work by Tolkien.
That man (J.R.R. Tolkien) is one of the most amazing authors ever, in my opinion. He created this humangus universe, his E, which I truly love to explore.
Cibes
Tolkien is a great author. After the success of the first The Lord of the Rings movie I started reading it and couldn't put the books down untill I was through them all! The movies are really good, but I don't think they can top the books.
I had not heard of The Silmarillion yet though, what is it about?
Shewolf
The Silmarillion is the early history of Middle Earth, and the rest of Tolkien's universe. How the world was created, how evil came there etc. And then it is the telling of hows and whens the Elves entered the history, and their tale.
A lot of what's refferd to in the LOTR, and not explained in the appendix, you can find there. Like the tale of Beren and Lthien Tinuviel.
MistDragon
I heard the tale of Luthien and Beren mirrors Tolkien's love for his wife. In fact, they were buried side-by-side and Tolkien's gravestone had "Beren" while his wife's had "Luthien Tinuviel".

Romantic, eh?
Alina
i love him!!!! i've read it in russian first (coz that's my native language) but then i loved th ebook so much, that i've found it's orinal and have read it! it's awesome to read the native language of the author, coz then you know how HE wrote it, not how the ppl were good to translate him
darvit
I admire the Great Professor Tolkien so much. That man is pure genius.

Peter Jackson did a great job with the films, but of course nothing would top the actual experience of reading the books. Smile I've been hunting for The Hobbit for a long, long time, and thanks to the release of the movies, they started reprinting tons of copies all of a sudden. Very Happy

The first The Lord of the Rings book I ever read was The Two Towers, and it was the best among the three, in my opinion. Laughing

As for The Hobbit movie, Peter Jackson has already released a statement that they're pulling out of the project due to an ugly financial dispute. Peter Jackson is no longer going to be part of the project. You can read his statement over here, via TORn.
TurtleShell
I read the Hobbit and TLOTR trilogy...didn't like the Hobbit, actually, especially compared to the other three...Lord of the Rings was so much darker, so much more in depth. And my favorite of the three was the Two Towers...but then, I always like the middle of trilogies the best. I never was interested in the Silmarillion, or any of the others...
theodred
Silmarillion ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
crimson_aria
I love JRR Tolkien. amazing writer. his vision of Middle Earth is so awesome.

I'm just starting to read The Silmarillion.
Sharpe
I love The Hobbit, LOTR and The Silmarillion.

I am still impressed by the languages and extra stuff he put in there. The tales that led to the war of the ring. The Valar, The Eldar, the familytrees spanning 3 ages. Every part of his world has his own history and culture all so detailed.

*sighs* I wish I could write something epic like that. :D
Shewolf
So, how many of you have read The Children of Hrin? I have not got my hands on a copy yet, but I've heard it's a pleasure reading it Very Happy
darvit
Shewolf wrote:
So, how many of you have read The Children of Hrin? I have not got my hands on a copy yet, but I've heard it's a pleasure reading it Very Happy

I haven't bought it yet, simply because there's a Narn i hin Hrin on The Unfinished Tales [which I own and have read many times over]. Confused

Sure, this full-length book would be so much better [and complete], but I'm just not in a hurry to get me a copy. Razz

[I did, however, spot a sole Special Edition at Barnes & Noble around a month ago--but I'm not die-hard enough to dish 75 bucks for it. Confused]
roninmedia
I have the Children of Hurin manuscript in my apartment but I have not gotten around to actually reading. From my friends who have read the book; they declare it is darker than other books done by JRR and Christopher did an amazing job in piecing together the writings of his father.

His epic vision and world is what makes Middle Earth so great. JRR gave me the dream of creating a MMORPG that is just as epic and with a rich and detailed history. It's amazing he and C.S. Lewis taught at the same university and both had such epic visions. I guess great visionaries and imaginations like them do come only in some points in history.
Arseniy
Quote:
I have the Children of Hurin manuscript in my apartment but I have not gotten around to actually reading. From my friends who have read the book; they declare it is darker than other books done by JRR and Christopher did an amazing job in piecing together the writings of his father.

Children of Hurin? Hmm... I've heard some things about it, but I cannot reach it to read. I don't even think that there's a Russian translate of it.
Really interesting for me, how good is Chris' works. He's doing great job reborning his grandpa's works and books. He was acting in first film on Lord of the Rings as some warrior of Gondor, you know.
But Professor is sure kinda better than Christopher Smile