FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How much sun is good for your skin?

Wynand

What is the optimum time of day to go out and enjoy the out doors? I live in South Africa and the sun is quite harsh. We can go out in the mornings or after midday. What do you think is the best time to avoid getting sunburned?

Also how much sun do you need for optimum vitamin D levels? Is it enough to just go on living you normal way or should you go out in the sun to get son
benjmd
The truth is that you don't need all that much sunshine for making Vitamin D. You will do just fine getting as little as 5 minutes of natural light a day. Using sunscreen does not prevent you from getting the sunlight needed to make Vitamin D. In addition, a lot of food products may be fortified with added Vitamin D.

Generally, people begin to burn after 15-30 minutes of direct sunshine. Some take longer, but generally any exposure of this time period warrants the use of a good suncreen to protect against UVB and UVA light as much as possible. Tans are dangerous too! (I recommend Dove Energy Glow Moisturizing Lotion with Subtle Self-Tanners... it's actually pretty good stuff.)

Generally, the higher overhead the sun is, the more intense the exposure - this is because the sun has less atmosphere to cut through than when it is striking you more obliquely (at an angle). So a lot of people will say that 10-2 is the most intense time. But you don't have to necessarily stay on lockdown during these hours. I love sunshine, personally. Just put on some sunscreen (don't forget to reapply if needed) and avoid spending all your time naked outside.
mstreet
I find that if I don't get enough sunlight, it really affects my mood. I had a hard time last winter living in the UK coming from Alberta Canada. I found the Uk to be very gloomy and you barely saw the sun during the winter. Now Alberta can be quite cold but it is nice and bright out at least. A bit easier to deal with the day I think. It's amazing how sunlight affects your mood as well.
bluefossil
you have enough sun when your skin starts pealing
em0o
just a little bit exposure is good enough for your daily vitamin D intake. Too much sun is bad for your skin and results in skin carcinogens, wrinkling, skin roughening and more.
benjmd
mstreet wrote:
I find that if I don't get enough sunlight, it really affects my mood. I had a hard time last winter living in the UK coming from Alberta Canada. I found the Uk to be very gloomy and you barely saw the sun during the winter. Now Alberta can be quite cold but it is nice and bright out at least. A bit easier to deal with the day I think. It's amazing how sunlight affects your mood as well.

I totally agree mstreet. I think I am coldblooded sometimes because of how much I need warmth and sunshine. I didn't address the psychological aspect in my previous post, but it's actually very real and very important. I think the key is to get lots of sunshine but to also use plenty of sunscreen!
lyddi8
I live in Australia and assume we have the similar dry, harsh sunshine that South Africa does. I've been told 15 minutes each day is enough for the correct vitamin D absorbtion. The sun is so harsh here that I get a mild sunburn on my right shoulder driving to work at 8 in the morning.
My advice is this: If you are living in South Africa or Australia, you will get enough sunlight incidentally, the sun is so bright. You just have to make sure you "slip, slop, slap" ie. slip on a tshirt, slop on sunscreen, and slap on a hat, to minimise sun damage when you are outdoors for long periods of time.
I guess our problem is mainly related to decreasing sun exposure. Vitamin D deficiencies are only really a major problem in places like Siberia, where they have to bring in bright lamps for school children to sit under each day of winter.
kevin briggs
Soaking up the sun's rays used to be considered healthy...before we learned about the dangers of ultraviolet rays.

Sunlight can be used to treat some skin diseases, but we all need to avoid overexposure to the sun. Too much sun can cause sunburn, wrinkles, freckles, skin texture changes, dilated blood vessels, and skin cancers. It may also cause rash problems.

Protection from the Sun
Using sun protection will help prevent skin damage and reduce the risk of cancer. Sun protection should always start with avoiding peak sun hours and dressing sensibly. Most clothing absorbs or reflects UV rays, but white fabric like loose-knit cotton, and wet clothes that cling to your skin, do not offer much protection. The tighter the weave, the more sun protection it will offer. The American Academy of Dermatology recommends that you avoid deliberate sunbathing, wear a wide-brimmed hat, sunglasses, and protective clothing. If you must be in the sun, use a sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 15, even on cloudy days.
arkebuzer
I dont have any scientific facts to contribute with.
BUT in my work I΄m outdoors all days, and the parts that are exposed to sun all the time does get some skin colour changes... The skin just gets more rough. The skin that is explosed simply looks older. Exactly where the sleeves end on the arms there is a very clear line where you can see the difference :S
I try to use lotions to block the sun, but they only take away some of the suns radiation.
And since it΄s so hot in the summer having full clothing on isnt an option either.
Ah well, I hope I will change job soon Smile
Vladalf
Too much sun for your skin can bring skin cancer.
People who have black pigment in their skin can't have skin cancer.
Drawingguy
By 'black' pigment, do you mean just really dark brown? Because all races can get skin cancer, regardless of skin color. Perhaps the shade of skin determines the frequency of cancer, but it is in no way a magical forcefield. What I really wanted to say was a response to the statement about sunlight affecting the mood; I believe that sunlight causes the release of serotonin, therefore increasing emotions of happiness and pleasure.
amicalindia
1 - 2 hours after sunrise and before sunset. Avoid sun at noon.

Wynand wrote:

What is the optimum time of day to go out and enjoy the out doors? I live in South Africa and the sun is quite harsh. We can go out in the mornings or after midday. What do you think is the best time to avoid getting sunburned?

Also how much sun do you need for optimum vitamin D levels? Is it enough to just go on living you normal way or should you go out in the sun to get son
Molle
Sun? What sun? xD I'm white as snow... Don't really like sun. Your skin gets older quicker.
Aures
Molle wrote:
Sun? What sun? xD I'm white as snow... Don't really like sun. Your skin gets older quicker.

Your whole body will get older quicker if you don't expose to any sunlight.