FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

dyndns in china

sunpascal
hi,

i'm having trouble using dyndns.com in China.
The site is not blocked here and i have no problem downloading the client but updating fails - even with 3rd party clients. My chinese router has a build in feature to update automatically but it doesn't seem to work.
I keep getting various error messages, such as time out.

I believe that the clients connect to members.dyndns.com. Is that correct?
I can ping that host but i can't load it in a browser. (maybe it isn't even a http server).

The weird thing is that I can update my ip on the webpage, just not automatically with a client.

I read about assumptions that dyndns is blocked, but why then isn't the website blocked?

It should be possible to circumvent this using a proxy.
So far I have only found proxies that work over a web page, but not ones that can be set in the clients. The problem is also, that I would be sending my password to that proxy.

Anyone know some advice?
alienjones
Have you tried installing the update-client on your local machine instead of using the router-build-in?

There are several third-party update-clients for dyndns, some even update your ip by sending an email.
Check out http://www.dyndns.com/support/clients/third-party.html for more on this.
There will be something working four you Wink

Greetz to China
otiscom
Yes, try turning off the router updater and then try the dyddns client.
You will have trouble if you use both.
Good luck.
sunpascal
alienjones wrote:
Have you tried installing the update-client on your local machine instead of using the router-build-in?

yes, actually I did.
I also tried other update clients that I found on the net - without success.
sunpascal
otiscom wrote:
Yes, try turning off the router updater and then try the dyddns client.
You will have trouble if you use both.
Good luck.

well yes, I turned off the client in the router, but it still didn't work.

I guess it's all because the site is blocked like so many others here in China. It does make sense that the government tries to keep people from using dyndns as it enables someone to run an illegal website and easily change its ip without changing the domain name.

I guess the only thing that will work is setting a proxy in the client.
Daniel15
It's members.dyndns.org, not members.dyndns.com. If you go to http://members.dyndns.org/, it should redirect to the main DynDNS homepage (yes, it's a HTTP server, and updates are done via HTTP).

Try another similar service, like no-ip.com or yi.org. Hopefully, you find something that isn't blocked.

Quote:
My chinese router has a build in feature to update automatically but it doesn't seem to work.

If it's a D-Link, their implementation is quite buggy and doesn't work a lot of the time...
sunpascal
yes, you're right. It's http://members.dyndns.org/
and when I try to access this from here it gives me an innocent "time out" message. Everytime. But if I access the site over a proxy (I use arandomproxy.com) it suddenly works...

I tried the other services, but no-ip.com doesn't load and when I type "no-ip" into google or yahoo search I get a "connection reset" message. Hm.

And, it is in fact a D-Link router, so that might be the issue with the router. Plus it's seems to be obsolete, as I can't find any firmware updates. I'm fine with a software clients as long as they work.

Now, I thing a solution would be to specify a proxy in the dyndns client that is outside of china. That proxy would than be able to update my ip. The problem is, the proxies I use are all accessible as web pages which I can't use in the client. Does anyone know a solution to that?
redice
Use www.3322.org instead. I use it for two years, it is stable.
sunpascal
great, that seems to work just fine.
thanks, redice!