FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Useable anime for a club

Dark_Tiger
Okay, here's the deal: I'm running an anime club, and I am not of the opinion that I know everything about every anime on the planet. So, I'd like some help looking for suitable anime to play at our showings.

I really only have 3 cretira:

1. It must be unlicensed. Nothing I can pick up at Blockbuster or will be able to do so in the next 6 months.

2. It must be fansubbed, preferablly readably fansubbed.

3. PG-13 or cleaner. We're meeting in a library, so nudity is not an option.

4. I have to be able to find it. If it's on scarywater, animesuki, or deadfrog, this shouldn't be an issue. However, I'd love to know what group is subbing the thing.

Any suggestions?
reddishblue
Well as I get it from Google Video, I honestly don't know but I would suggest: Full Metal Alchemist and Sonic X
Tex_Arcana
I've always liked the work that Shinsen Subs does, but there are a lot of good sub groups out there.

Here is how I usually work it. The best reviews I have found are here: http://www.anime-source.com/banzai/index.php. There's also torrents there and a nice selection of online readable manga (I'm reading Addicted to Curry right now). Also the forum section there is pretty good and if you ask your question there you should get some very good answers.

Then I find it easier to go to Anime Suki http://www.animesuki.com/ to get the back episodes of shows if I don't catch them from the beginning.
carlokes
Hey there,

My suggestion is... Death Note.
Not only it meets all your criteria but it is a fantastic anime, one of the best so far (that meets your criteria).

There are many groups fansubbing it but my personal choice goes to Toryama World [TW].Very acceptable quality and although im not an expert in japanese I think that the fansub job is good.

Say Cool.
Pikokola
School Rumble 2nd semester - I think the 2nd episode unlicensed?
Welcome to NHK

etc etc etc

there is many great anime, not only pointing my favorite, but you can choose them, there is many of them

try : ww w.mrpc.u s
Dark_Tiger
Thanks gang. For the record, this is what I have on my list of unlicensed:

Nana OUT: nudity, pot use, overt sexual acts.

Die Buster OUT: no ep with less than 5 minutes nudity. Looks like FLCL in space though.

Death Note OUT: club voted it off the <strike>island</strike> library.

RUN=DIM OUT: horrible fansub job

X Gundam

Night Head Genesis OUT: plot goes to pot

Ouran Host Club

Kiba

Karin

Battle Programer Shrisie
urbanbuddha
I run my own anime club too.
*shamless plug* www.utmanime.tk

usually www.animesuki.com has a license database, which is helpful to weed out a lot of the anime that are licensed. As well all the anime there available is good for viewing.

I'll try to be more original with my choices as I find most of my members watch the very popular series at home like Naruto and Bleach. Mind you, both of them are now license and whatnot.

Code Geass: The collaboration between CLAMP and Bandai. Brings some mecha into the mix without being too traditional.

Ouran: Everyone seems to like watching it, we just hope no one licenses it before we show all the eps.

Welcome to NHK: Well since you weeded out Nana, I don't think you'll want to touch this with a 10-foot pole, but at I tried.

As well I highly suggest scouted the american publishers for sample swag to give to members during the showings.

http://www.operationanime.com is funimation's anime club division and offers a free DVD per month for each club.
Dark_Tiger
Ouran is also on my showing list. It's great for a club since it's stupid funny and isn't set up so you have to know the plot in order to enjoy it.

To be honest, Nana only has 1 ep that I couldn't show, but one is enough.
Derioh
School Rumble... Azumanga Daioh... (comedy)
Excel Saga (parodic comedy... very witty)

.HACK//Sign: beginning is kinda boring... very long and complex dialogues, although the setting is in a MMORPG there's no action, but somehow it was interesting on a way of its own...

Fullmetal Alchemist then...

Or just find another lair and get Elfen Lied or Hellsing...
Dark_Tiger
Derioh wrote:
School Rumble... Azumanga Daioh... (comedy)
Excel Saga (parodic comedy... very witty)

.HACK//Sign: beginning is kinda boring... very long and complex dialogues, although the setting is in a MMORPG there's no action, but somehow it was interesting on a way of its own...

Fullmetal Alchemist then...

Or just find another lair and get Elfen Lied or Hellsing...

Thanks for the suggestions, but all of those are licensed in the US, and have been for years.
Scaramanga
I'm just curious why one of your criteria is that it has to be unlicensed in the US?

A series I could recommend though is Karakuri Zoushi Ayatsuri Sakon (Puppet Master Sakon.) It's about a bunraku prodigy and his animated(?) puppet who go around solving murders and mysteries. It can be kind of eerie, but IIRC there's no real nudity (although there may be some graphic violence in later episodes.) A few groups have subbed it, Seichi is the only one I can remember off the top of my head though. Also, it's an older series (1999) but it still holds up pretty well.
Dark_Tiger
Scaramanga wrote:
I'm just curious why one of your criteria is that it has to be unlicensed in the US?

3 reasons really.

First, I want to show things that you can't just rent from Blockbuster or Animenation. One of the reasons you go to a club is to see anime that you've never heard of or wouldn't run into. Stuff like FMA or Naruto, which have not only are avialable but have also seen broadcast cable release, are not a reason to go to out of your way to a club.

Second is to stay on the good side of the US production firms. While I doubt that I'd get sued in any case, several companies, Funamation among them, offer special support for clubs. Showing things that they hold the licenses for without their premission would upset them if they found out about it.

The third reason is a technical one. It is a lot easier for me to set up a 3 hour block of anime, with AMVs and promos as bumps, than it is to switch out DVD after DVD on the fly.
Seiji
Try Binbou Shimai Monogatari it seems like a safe series. I've been getting into Ergo Proxy but I'm not sure if that would fit your rules.
Derioh
Dark_Tiger wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions, but all of those are licensed in the US, and have been for years.

Oh well... life in US must be hard with all those licenses... =p
Here in Holland none of them is licensed (only anime for little kids, like Pokémon or Yu-Gi-Oh and those French Wanime things)... and almost nobody over here has ever heard of them....

You should look on Google Videos or Youtube for AMV Hell, you'll find a lot of parodies with popular songs...
Scaramanga
Dark_Tiger wrote:
Scaramanga wrote:

First, I want to show things that you can't just rent from Blockbuster or Animenation. One of the reasons you go to a club is to see anime that you've never heard of or wouldn't run into. Stuff like FMA or Naruto, which have not only are avialable but have also seen broadcast cable release, are not a reason to go to out of your way to a club.

True, but you'd be surprised over how many people haven't seen some released anime here. Not to mention the fact that old-school anime is something that gets overlooked in favour of slicker new productions, that just don't have the story old shows did. Try Maison Ikkoku or Kimagure Orange Road for size.

Dark_Tiger wrote:
Second is to stay on the good side of the US production firms. While I doubt that I'd get sued in any case, several companies, Funamation among them, offer special support for clubs. Showing things that they hold the licenses for without their premission would upset them if they found out about it.

As long as you're not charging for watching the anime no anime studios would have a problem with it. You think clubs like this all over the world don't do the exact same thing?

Dark_Tiger wrote:
The third reason is a technical one. It is a lot easier for me to set up a 3 hour block of anime, with AMVs and promos as bumps, than it is to switch out DVD after DVD on the fly.

Well this is a good point. Of course it's just as easy to burn individual episodes on DVD to your hard-drive and go from there. Also, I gotta say, if we made our club sit still for 3 hours at a time without a break, they'd go nuts. Changing DVDs is a good excuse for people to get up, stretch their legs, go to the bathroom, etc.

Anyway, just my $.02.