FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Watched Topics Page

Do you think this feature should be implemented/will it be useful?
Yes
81%
 81%  [ 9 ]
No
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Haven't Decided Yet
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 11

wumingsden
Sometimes I would really like to watch certain topics, especially when it comes to having to keep a close eye on certain threads which could turn nasty (mod duty), but also in normal topics that I want to watch replies for ...

I am however discouraged because it's so difficult to keep on eye on the topics that I am watching. Setting the option to recieve an email everytime someone replies to a topic I am watching does not excite me at all - I receive enough emails and this would greatly increase the amount I recieve if I want to use this method to keep on eye on new replies to threads I am watching.

My suggestion is to add a page which shows all of your watched topics, in a search-like list, with an option to stop watching one's that you don't wish to watch any more.

I have coded my very own MODification that does this which is extremely simple. I however know Bondings o-too-well to know that he'll want to script one his-self.

So, my question is, could you please implement it?

P.S - Opened in a public forum so other users can vote for it.
william
Hey, that's a good idea. At one point, I use to get about 20 emails a day for topic replies. (It's probably worse for moderators). I think that this is a great idea and will help many people.
Daisie
I agree too, it's so hard to keep track of everything you posted and try to find the thread again. (old brain not as good as it used to be!
It would be a good idea to have them all in one spot.
S3nd K3ys
Absolutely yes.

It works good with a report post link.

Wink
LukeakaDanish
I think its a pretty good idea - another feature which would add to it could be a "watch for # days" feature - so i might watch this for 7 days - just to check for any responses - but not bother with the newbie posting "good idea!" in about 3 months time.
wumingsden
LukeakaDanish wrote:
I think its a pretty good idea - another feature which would add to it could be a "watch for # days" feature - so i might watch this for 7 days - just to check for any responses - but not bother with the newbie posting "good idea!" in about 3 months time.

yes, this is also a good feature. There are many other options which could be incorporated but the original suggestion (mine) already has capability from the database. only a file or two.
ocalhoun
It would also be nice in order to take an overview of the older topics you're watching and stop watching them.
Blaster
Notify me when a reply is posted

Why can't you just use that. Why implant a mod like that when you have something similiar already implanted.
S3nd K3ys
Blaster wrote:

Why can't you just use that. Why implant a mod like that when you have something similiar already implanted.

Not all of us want to check our email to see if there's a new post or be bothered with popups every time we come here. Wink
wumingsden
Blaster wrote:

Something similiar is not implemented. Recieveing an email from newly updated threads and listing all watched topics, are, in my opinion, to seperate features. the list does not provide a notification, the email does not provide a list Wink
ocalhoun
wumingsden wrote:
the list does not provide a notification,

Why can't the list show which topics have new posts, just like the rest of the forum? In fact, you could even make it like another forum category, where the only posts in it are the ones you're watching. Then you could see weather there was any new posts in any of the watched topics just by looking at the forum. You could also include a little delete button on each listing to stop watching the topic.
wumingsden
ocalhoun wrote:
wumingsden wrote:
the list does not provide a notification,

Why can't the list show which topics have new posts, just like the rest of the forum? In fact, you could even make it like another forum category, where the only posts in it are the ones you're watching. Then you could see weather there was any new posts in any of the watched topics just by looking at the forum. You could also include a little delete button on each listing to stop watching the topic.

my mod lists all watched topics, and has a little checkbox so it's very easy to stop watching the threads you want to stop watching. it works the exact same way as the hundreds of other MODs that list watched topics. I created it for my premodded forum which i've been working on/off the last 4-5 months. it works, obviously, but i haven't had time to incorporate it with other features my forum has. i have not released it, and will not. a future version when i have time will have the ability to filter the result. bondings would have to edit it a bit so he won't want to use it, he may as well create his own that does the same thing Wink Below is a screenie (as you can see the template is not the best, this is probably the lowest on my priority list though):

ocalhoun
^Yeah, that's about right, but I'd add an indicator for new posts to that.

Could this also result in people wanting an option to watch a topic without E-mail notification? It would be good, but it would make things more complicated.
wumingsden
ocalhoun wrote:
^Yeah, that's about right, but I'd add an indicator for new posts to that.

It already states who the latest post was posted by, with a link to it, for me this is sufficient. i will however think about it.

ocalhoun wrote:
Could this also result in people wanting an option to watch a topic without E-mail notification? It would be good, but it would make things more complicated.

if i was to do it it wouldn't be for a while. i'd also do it the other way round, by default disallowing email notifications and then have an option for each thread to recieve a email - this option would have to be turned off my default though as it may be too consuming i have been thinking for a while about completely removing the email notification feature but have decided quite recently to leave it alone (at the moment). As i said though, right now i have no spare time to do such a thing which is a shame.

thanks for the suggestions, ocalhoun, for me. steve will be able to create a fresh MOD to have similar features if he thinks it is needed.
SpellcasterDX
Yep, good idea, wumingsden. DiscoBoards, another freeware forum system I'm running, has this feature built in and it works very well. It also has favorite boards(forums), as well, which could also come in handy.
Blaster
wumingsden wrote:
Blaster wrote:

Something similiar is not implemented. Recieveing an email from newly updated threads and listing all watched topics, are, in my opinion, to seperate features. the list does not provide a notification, the email does not provide a list Wink

It might not be directly similar bu ti think that its good enough. Just www.getfirefox.com and open a tab and wait to see if you have any new mail.
jylan
Yeah, that's a great idea! I hope it is implemented.
arkebuzer
Sounds like a sweeet idea!
If you are an active poster it can be hard to keep track of all threads you are interested in, and involved in. So that feature would really make these forums a lot better Smile