FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

FLAC Audio Codec - Your thoughts?

goblinish
Anyone here experimented with the FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec)? http://flac.sourceforge.net/
Been having a play with it and it defnetly sounds very good, and would have to say deff better than mp3 (Tho should be considering the files are a lot bigger). I am in two minds as to weither it is truly `lossless` tho to be honest.. It sounds good, but listening carefully im sure i can hear signs of compression..
So, anyone else got comments on it?
Ranfaroth
All I know is that it's the lossless codec recommended, so I imagine that it's trully lossless...
askchris
I have used it and have no problem. If you have a large music catalogue and large hard drive with good sound system, then I would always recommend this codec.
crasso
goblinish wrote:
It sounds good, but listening carefully im sure i can hear signs of compression.

No, you can't. Before it goes through speakers it is decompressed to exact audio as it was on the cd.
obiang
Great CODEC IMHO, but lack of native support on major OS is a big turn off.
escalera
for me, it sounds very good if anyone wants to back-up music cds, is the rigth tool
djclue917
obiang wrote:
Great CODEC IMHO, but lack of native support on major OS is a big turn off.

Quote:
Winamp 5.31 now includes Nullsoft FLAC plugins for encoding and decoding. The decoder is based on our reference decoder plugin.

"major OS": Are you pertaining to Windows? And what do you mean by "native support"? Audio players play audio, not the OS itself. And since FLAC's code is open and freely downloadable, it can be ported/used to/in virtually any platform imaginable, provided that the porting/usage is feasible.