FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Anybody use Folding@home?

FaLLeN
Just wondering if anybody in this forum uses folding@home or have heard about it.
It is a program made by the stanford university which uses your CPU's unused cycles to process the way protein strands 'fold' hence folding@home.
Now you may ask why do it?
Well for one thing, no matter how lazy you are you can surely sit at your pc and take a few mins to install it, but the main reason is because the 'folding' of these strands can determine if you get a disease or not. For example, if you proteins 'fold' normally you will funcion normally, but when they misfold, it can cause all kinda of diseases like cancer and mad cow disease.

Now im not the best at explaining it, so if you would like to learn more and download this program to help out go to: http://folding.stanford.edu/

So if you want to know anything more that site should answer all your questions. Ive been folding for about 1 and a half years now and if you get in a team, it can be a little bit of competition too. Smile

FaLLeN
umeshtangnu
hi
yes i have been using it for a long time about one n half years and well its a good use of computer
Stubru Freak
Yes, my username is FrederikVds. I'm in the MozillaZine team.
Straevaras
Yep, I've been using it for a while, but I've stopped recently because I was using my laptop most of the time anyway, so I didn't bother to reinstall it when I redid it.

It's a very interesting piece of software, and will take out your laptop's battery in less than an hour! Razz
orno
yeah, i used to run folding@home, seti@home and another one in time slots of 8 hours each on my desktop....

then my desktop died (i wonder why Wink) and left me with my piece oh shi* laptop which would probably explode if i try running anything more than windows on it Razz
icedrakon
I have develop a super cluster system especialy for folding@home for my computer science department to have more power....