FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

FTP safety Concerns. I need a quick response.

polly-gone
By switching my FTP Porgram from Passive to Active, does that pose any security risk? Am I more open to hackers if I am in active?
Marston
Quote:
In active mode, the FTP client opens a random port (> 1023), sends the FTP server the random port number on which it is listening over the control stream and waits for a connection from the FTP server. When the FTP server initiates the data connection to the FTP client it binds the source port to port 20 on the FTP server.

Quote:
In passive mode, the FTP Server opens a random port (> 1023), sends the FTP client the port on which it is listening over the control stream and waits for a connection from the FTP client. In this case the FTP client binds the source port of the connection to a random port greater than 1023.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Transfer_Protocol#Overview

From what I can tell, it looks like passive mode is more secure, but keep in mind that anyone can view your network traffic at any time.

In any event, it's unlikely that hackers are going to intercept your files; they have more important targets.