FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

FTP doesn't work

Sergiy
I have problem.
I like to upload my site with FTP on frihot server. I have program: Crystal FTP Pro.
I write connection details: user, pass, ... and click connect.
Then working, but stopped in refreshing list on files on server.
This doesn't working from yesterday. Please help.
With other sites FTP works good Confused
wumingsden
Sergiy wrote:
I have problem.
I like to upload my site with FTP on frihot server. I have program: Crystal FTP Pro.
I write connection details: user, pass, ... and click connect.
Then working, but stopped in refreshing list on files on server.
This doesn't working from yesterday. Please help.
With other sites FTP works good Confused

Try www.web2ftp.com - I use this and it is very good.

Alternatively, try changing the FTP program settings to Passive Mode, or if they are already set to this change them to Active Mode
tom69
I'd recommend Total Commander or Filezilla. Both ftp clients are very satisfying.

Both of them are easy to use but if you're asking for the best FTP around then i'd say: SmartFTP Razz
Sergiy
I use FlashFXP with no passive mode and now is working.
I test SmartFTP now.
www.web2ftp.com is good but have some bugs and I can't upload any files Sad
ocalhoun
This is a more serious problem, I think.
I use smartFTP and fireFTP; both are not working recently with similar problems to the ones described in the original post.
I suspect the problem is on frihost's end because:
1: I have the problem with more than one FTP program
2: I have not changed any settings, yet both FTP programs suddenly stop working.
3: More than one user is experiencing it at the same time.

I don't think it is some fluke, as this has been going on at least since last Thursday.

I can still use direct admin's file manager to up/download files, but in general it sux compared to a true FTP program.

To help in troubleshooting, it always hangs up on this specific command:
Code:
LIST -aL
Animal
ocalhoun wrote:
This is a more serious problem, I think.
I use smartFTP and fireFTP; both are not working recently with similar problems to the ones described in the original post.
I suspect the problem is on frihost's end because:
1: I have the problem with more than one FTP program
2: I have not changed any settings, yet both FTP programs suddenly stop working.
3: More than one user is experiencing it at the same time.

I don't think it is some fluke, as this has been going on at least since last Thursday.

I can still use direct admin's file manager to up/download files, but in general it sux compared to a true FTP program.

Yeah, I strangely had the same problem. However, if you set FireFTP to use Active mode, it works without any problems. I don't know why or how this happened since I've been using Passive mode for almost a year quite happily Eh?

However, as I said, changing to Active mode works fine. To do so in FireFTP, hit Manage Accounts > Edit... then change settings from there.
ocalhoun
Oh, that's better. It works now that I switch to active mode, but what was the deal with it?
Animal
ocalhoun wrote:
Oh, that's better. It works now that I switch to active mode, but what was the deal with it?

Like I said... I have no idea. I'll get my investigative hat on and see what I can find out.
Sergiy
FireFTP doesn't work because disconnect all my internet. First uploading files, but in 1 min internet doesn't work. Then I closed FireFTP all is working fine Twisted Evil

What FTP programm I must use for best work with frihot.net??
Crystal FTP, FlashFPX, FireFTP doesn't work
Animal
Sergiy wrote:
FireFTP doesn't work because disconnect all my internet. First uploading files, but in 1 min internet doesn't work. Then I closed FireFTP all is working fine Twisted Evil

What FTP programm I must use for best work with frihot.net??
Crystal FTP, FlashFPX, FireFTP doesn't work

Don't know what you're doing wrong... I've been using FireFTP with my Frihost account for about a year and have never had problems like that.
ocalhoun
Actually, I've noticed that I'm still having problems in active mode...
I can now successfully get a listing of all the files and download them, but when I try to upload them, whatever FTP program I'm using just freezes up in a way that would be consistent with getting 0 bandwidth.
(It'll say transferring file ...
(repeat forever))
Animal
ocalhoun wrote:
... but when I try to upload them, whatever FTP program I'm using just freezes up in a way that would be consistent with getting 0 bandwidth.
(It'll say transferring file ...
(repeat forever))

Are you trying to upload a 0Kb file (there are several of them in a Wordpress or phpBB installation)? If so, this was a known bug with FireFTP (it annoyed me for a long while too!) - simply download the latest version with the fix.
ocalhoun
^No, I'm not. Updated .php files for my diskpost store to be precise.
Sergiy
I use FireFTP version 0.94.6 (the newer) and problem is, the files 0KB doesn't upload.
FTP is doesn't work good.
The error is on server maybe Confused
ChrisCh
Sergiy wrote:
I use FireFTP version 0.94.6 (the newer) and problem is, the files 0KB doesn't upload.
FTP is doesn't work good.
The error is on server maybe Confused

The reason for this problem was already stated two messages before you posted.
Animal wrote:
Are you trying to upload a 0Kb file (there are several of them in a Wordpress or phpBB installation)? If so, this was a known bug with FireFTP (it annoyed me for a long while too!) - simply download the latest version with the fix.

Smile
Sergiy
Yes, I see this. I wrote this problem have I, but have newer version of FireFTP with bugfix and problem isn't fix Confused
ChrisCh
Sergiy wrote:
Yes, I see this. I wrote this problem have I, but have newer version of FireFTP with bugfix and problem isn't fix Confused

Ok Smile I use SmartFTP - it has lots of features, and supports both ASCII and Binary transfer types, as well as standard and passive modes Smile
Sergiy
but on smartFTP you must files check one and one in the upload box Sad
joe_nl
I've got the same problem over here, I'm using FileZilla, connecting goes all right, but the list-option isn't working properly.

This is the error in FileZilla:
Quote:

Command: LIST
Error: Transfer channel can't be opened.
Error: Could not retrieve directory listing

I'm on server 2 by the way.

Anyone else the same problem, or maybe a solution?

From the Netherlands,
Joe.
ocalhoun
Sergiy wrote:
but on smartFTP you must files check one and one in the upload box Sad

1-open the folder where the files you want to upload are, and select them.
2-start smartFTP
3-In smartFTP browse to the folder you want to upload the files to.
4-switch back to the files' window
5-click one (while they are all still selected) and drag it to the smartFTP button on the taskbar.
6-In a moment smartFTP will come up to the front (you should still be dragging the files at this point)
7-continue to drag the files up to the proper folder in the directory tree on the left side of the smartFTP window.
8-release the mouse button when the proper folder in the hierarchy is highlighted.
9-wait for the upload to complete
jayandsilo
I can't connect to ftp. This is crap.
Sergiy
ocalhoun:
2-start smartFTP
5-click one (while they are all still selected) and drag it to the smartFTP button on the taskbar.
6-In a moment smartFTP will come up to the front (you should still be dragging the files at this point)
7-continue to drag the files up to the proper folder in the directory tree on the left side of the smartFTP window.
8-release the mouse button when the proper folder in the hierarchy is highlighted.

Thanks, this is working. I'm uploading e107 system on server now Very Happy
DivineConclave
I use FileZilla and no luck. Can't FTP. I try to transfer using Microsoft's FTP protocol, no luck. Sad
DivineConclave
Sergiy wrote:
ocalhoun:
2-start smartFTP

Thanks, this is working. I'm uploading e107 system on server now Very Happy

Do we know why one would have to go about it this way? I think it's awesome you found a way around it, so I'm not complaining about your process, but it's more of a band-aid than a fix. So I am just curious if anyone knows if the problem is being resolved. It has to be a conflict with frihost if all FTP clients are acting weird.
DivineConclave
Here is the status text when I try to connect via FileZilla, if it helps anyone help me. Smile

Quote:

tatus: Connecting to ftp.divineconclave.frih.net ...
Status: Connected with ftp.divineconclave.frih.net. Waiting for welcome message...
Response: 220 ProFTPD 1.2.9 Server ready.
Command: USER [deleted for privacy reasons]
Response: 331 Password required for [deleted for privacy reasons].
Command: PASS *********
Response: 230 User [deleted for privacy reasons] logged in.
Command: SYST
Response: 215 UNIX Type: L8
Command: FEAT
Response: 211-Features:
Response: MDTM
Response: REST STREAM
Response: SIZE
Response: 211 End
Command: PWD
Response: 257 "/" is current directory.
Command: TYPE A
Response: 200 Type set to A
Command: PASV
Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (216,32,85,170,199,103).
Command: LIST
Error: Transfer channel can't be opened. Reason: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
Command: TYPE A
Error: Timeout detected!
wumingsden
Quote:
Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode

Change from passive mode to active mode.
DivineConclave
wumingsden wrote:
Quote:
Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode

Change from passive mode to active mode.

Thanks. It worked. And now... now I feel like an idiot.

Thanks much. Smile
dude_xyx
Got this message

Error: Transfer channel can't be opened. Reason: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.

Ok like all others said it works now in Active mode, Animal have you found whats it all about ?
jeromep
I'm encountering FTP problems as well.

I'm using FileZilla, active mode, keep alive is set.. But still I'm getting:

[10:38:52] Response: 425 Unable to build data connection: No route to host
[10:38:52] Error: Could not retrieve directory listing

I've tried using SmartFTP, Fire FTP, and even windows FTP in command line. None of them worked for me.

As I read through this thread and other topic-similar threads, I noticed that not all encountered FTP problems. I can also say that for some, switching to another FTP client worked, for some it didn't. Some switched to Active mode to fix it, but for some, it didn't help out.

Hmm, it bothers me - why is that for some (or most of the) frihosters, this problem doesn't occur. Maybe it has something to do with the region, or the bandwidth.
picklebreath
You all might want to check out this topic for assistance.
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-60035.html#511319
Check the whole article. Hope it helps explaining.
ocalhoun
Aw, crap! It just got worse. I'm using active mode, and now I get "the server closed the connection" whenever I try to get the file list for any directory. To top it all off, the direct admin file manager won't let me upload files, so I have absolutely no way to update anything on my webspace.

Quote:
CWD /
250 CWD command successful.
TYPE A
200 Type set to A
PORT 192,168,0,197,8,175

[disconnects at this point]

[/quote]
jeromep
So any decent solution out there? It seems we are getting intermittent problems.

This could be a problem in the side of FriHost. Mods, if you're watching this thread, or any thread similar to this, can you shed some light on our FTP problems?
dfunkt
http://www.bpftp.com/ < bulletproof ftp is the best Very Happy you should try it if you're willing to shell out a few bucks.