FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Captcha for new users

Blaster
I think new users should have to put in a captcha. This way we dont' get people that sign up and they post spam messages with a bot. This would only be needed for the first 25 posts i think.

Just an idea to stop spam like This (only the mods can see this topic.)
hack_man_
What's a captcha? Are they those "Enter the characters below" things with the picture of garbled letters underneath?
Hogwarts
hack_man_ wrote:
What's a captcha? Are they those "Enter the characters below" things with the picture of garbled letters underneath?

There already is one.

My idea would be to make it so that:
When somebody signs up they have to make their first two posts within 30 minutes of each other, or they are deleted along with their posts
Animal
Hogwarts wrote:
There already is one.

There is one during the sign up process, but this is not impassible to those annoying spammers. I think Blaster's suggestion is to make all new users complete a Captcha with every post for the first few posts. I think that this is a good idea in principle - it makes Frihost less of a "generic phpBB board" so may not be so easy to spam by automation. However, I would imagine that this would be very difficult to code.

Hogwarts wrote:
When somebody signs up they have to make their first two posts within 30 minutes of each other, or they are deleted along with their posts

This is an interesting suggestion, but it wouldn't work. We have several thousands of users who sign up and then read about how to get their free hosting accounts. Some stay and post after significantly longer than 30 mins, and some go away and come back months later to enjoy the best free hosting service in the world! Razz

Unfortunately, automated forum spam is not an easy thing to eradicate. But we're thinking about it.
Hogwarts
Animal wrote:
Hogwarts wrote:

This is an interesting suggestion, but it wouldn't work. We have several thousands of users who sign up and then read about how to get their free hosting accounts. Some stay and post after significantly longer than 30 mins, and some go away and come back months later to enjoy the best free hosting service in the world! Razz

No, I mean that their first 2 posts have to be within half an hour of each other.
mathiaus
During development for frims, I created random names for the fields which were stored in sessions. This way the bots don't know what to fill in. Initially I left the submit buttons name the same but then changed this as well.
I also added some general anti-bot stuff like not allowing posted data from any other domains than that stored in config file etc.
Might be able to convert it into something for use with phpbb ...

EDIT: About the half an hour thing. That wouldn't work as bots would add the stuff straight away, within the 30 mins.
Blaster
Well bondings has it for guests so i have a felling that he would only have to tweak it and then it should work. I'm not to good with phpbb so i dont' know how hard it is but i think it would work pretty good if it was coded right and all.
ocalhoun
To stop the bots it wouldn't need to be a 25 post duration. Just doing it on the first post would be sufficient; I've never seen a bot post more than once on any forum.
Dark_Tiger
Fair warning: I'm annoyed at a great number of things today.

I've got an idea to deal with spam: have moderators delete spam posts as they come across them!

Seriously, I fail to see the disaster that spam is taken for. You can ignore it, you can delete it, you don't have to get worked up about it.

I want you to look at my contact buttons. My e-mail address is flapping in the breeze, viewable to anyone. This is true on almost every site I post on. My spam count: maybe 5 a week, roughly a quarter the amount of junk mail I get in my physical mailbox. I have yet to develop any injury, physical, monetary, or otherwise from deleting the spam.

Responses to spam, not just here but across the industry, have been pretty much feeding the troll. It doesn't really matter, and if we acted like that, there wouldn't be as much of it.
ocalhoun
^This forum is nicely sparse of spam, but I have seen forums nearly ruined by it, so it is important. It can cause users to look for greener pastures if every other post is spam.
Dark_Tiger
ocalhoun wrote:
^This forum is nicely sparse of spam, but I have seen forums nearly ruined by it, so it is important. It can cause users to look for greener pastures if every other post is spam.

My experience is that that only happens when the forum has been abandoned or the moderators are otherwise incompotent. That is not an issue here.
Blaster
i've seen spam bots post like 200 topics before. If it really wants to its not hard. You can ignore the spam in your email but on a forum people may reply and stuff like that.
reddishblue
Now the moment everyone has been waiting for...my opinion!!! Laughing
Yes this is an excellent idea, to tell the truth seeing the wonder of Frihost be defaced by bots makes me feel sad Crying or Very sad
This is a great idea, many bots can pass the first catpcha, they are programmed to, but I have never seen a forum with more then one after that , the bots will not be able to post!
I fully back this and hope it is put in place.
ocalhoun
Heck, just make users enter the catpcha twice... I doubt the bots will recognize that.
Confirmation Code: [76859]
Enter confirmation code: [_____]
Confirm confirmation code: [_____] <-- When the bot sees this, it thinks to itself "WTF?"
Or, you could just tell users to enter the confirmation code backwards, surely the bots aren't programmed to know the meaning of that?
Animal
ocalhoun wrote:
Heck, just make users enter the catpcha twice... I doubt the bots will recognize that.
Confirm confirmation code: [_____] <-- When the bot sees this, it thinks to itself "WTF?"
Or, you could just tell users to enter the confirmation code backwards, surely the bots aren't programmed to know the meaning of that?

This is actually an excellent idea... Applause

I hadn't thought of that. A second field asking for (say) the first or last character in the captcha image. That would almost certainly work... for now anyway. I'll speak to Bondings.
Dark_Tiger
Animal wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

This is actually an excellent idea... Applause

I hadn't thought of that. A second field asking for (say) the first or last character in the captcha image. That would almost certainly work... for now anyway. I'll speak to Bondings.

If it's really that big of an issue, why not just change the catchpa database/algroythm? My understanding is that the bots that can get past the catchpa just check the algroythm so they know for example that confirm id f9a5a2815a432c898d1f7c60bc7e02c5 is "439MAG".
Nyizsa
ocalhoun wrote:

Or, simply, enter
BGYBR
as the first letters of the colours of the string?

Spam is a Bad Thing.
ocalhoun
^But then people would fail it for calling purple violet or some such.
Animal
Nyizsa wrote:
Or, simply, enter
BGYBR

Spam is a Bad Thing.

Yeah... but what about the poor colour-blind people?
Nyizsa
Animal wrote:
Nyizsa wrote:
Or, simply, enter
BGYBR

Spam is a Bad Thing.

Yeah... but what about the poor colour-blind people?

It's good to know that Frihost's moderators are aware of handicapped people; that 0.05% could write KOGABDGRDGLGNSLGAIWB
as:
Kind of green; a bit darker green; really dark green; light green; not so light green as it was before.
Or... was it a bad idea?
TeenZine
I think it will lead to more spam like then the new people going WHERE THE F*** DID MY MESSAGE GO I F****** need the points. Even though that would not be a good way to get hosting Smile
coreymanshack
I own my own forums on php-gamers.com

when a bot usually signs up at my site, it doesn't actually confirm it's account (I have email confirmation set up) It just creates the account with bad pr0n links on the profile, I'd just have to change up the registration a bit with something like, what color was george washingtons favorite white horse.
Or say, my name is corey thomasculous, what is my name? and check if they enetered the right thing.
Blaster
ocalhoun wrote:

That is really good. And next to it put something like spam bot test so users arn't like WTF Mate.

That is a nice little ad on of what i said. Anyhow i really think that such a thing woudl work good.

About the color thing i dont' like that because of the reasons stated.