FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Anyone misses old Nintendo Games?

ryukenden
I had fun when I was young playing Nintendo Games such as Contra, Super Mario Brothers, Tetris, Ninja Gaiden, Starwars etc...

I sometimes miss them and recently I found a website saying we could play by downloading ROMs and Emulators. But I think it is illegal.

Anyone missing the old Nintendo Games?
Josso
I've never been quite sure about the emulation laws, odds are you aren't going to get in trouble for it either way.

I mostly played N64. Games like Goldeneye and Super Mario 64... those were the days
TheCrimsonGriff
thers a 1:1000 chance of getting caught dowloading illigal content for the pc (im not saying i do) anyway back to the subject i do miss nintendo hames i miss them alot recsently so much infact i went and purchaced the Nintendo 64 & nes with a load of games just under $100 USD from a friend
Wanderer
I don't really miss the old games because I still have them. Plus Wii Virtual Console is getting lots of the old games on it. Super Mario Bros. is comming out tomorrow.
wiehls
Good ol' supermario brothers! I do miss those games. And waht about duck hunt! It seems like everybody had, or at least played, duck hunt. It also seemed like really good technology for such a long itme ago.
.Locke
Well I miss all the many games that were "simple yet fun" like Super Mario Brothers, Duck Hunt, the older Zelda stuff, Pokemon Red Version *yes I'm strange*, and well I'm loving a lot of the new games... but yet they will never be quite like the good old ones.
QrafTee
Games I've missed... Duck Hunt, HK-imported 1000 Games Cartridge, Super Ninja Boys, Earthbound, Zelda: ALttP, HK-imported 4 Games Cartridge, and... Super Mario Bros. 3.
evilryu530
nintendo games were the best, best content and concept, now adays just all about crazy ass graphics, no unique story line anymore, my fav of all time, zelda, link to the past.
Pikokola
Me, I really miss them all T__T

I remember when playing Battle City [that tanks] Which give me a lot of fun with my friends,

I still miss Contra [steal friends live with start button ^^]

I miss Super MArio Bross [Why did those princess Didn't run away by themselves?

Ahhh I miss them all..
mattchun
Me too!

I love the Super Marion Brothers.

It seems that I have played it for thousands times.
guissmo
I love Super Mario Bros.

And my little cousin still enjoys playing the ROMmed version of PacMan. He beats me in that game hard.
Illionaire
Friday the 13th was a classic NES game for me. I found it to be really hard, as were most NES games. It was also very scary, though now I'm sure it is tame compared to the latest creepy games that are out. Star Tropics was also good fun.
garionw
This topic is really spammy........ Confused

Any, the only thing I would change about the games is the quality of them, If they could improve the graphics, and maybe add a few extra levels to them I'd be happy for ages.

I really liked Super Mario 64, Yoshi's Story Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie. I've played Super Mario Sunshine before but didn't like that as much. And I don't think ill like the new one either just because of the style in which they have done it, if it was something like the Princess being taken to Bowsers Castle and Mario had to go through and find it, then I would be happier.

It also disappoints me that the Banjo Kazooie sequal is going to be on the Xbox 360, I think it would have been better on the Wii.
arturas
ive stil got a n64 i got banjo kazuy or how ever you spell it, duke nukem zero hour (realy fun game )
and mario land

i stil play with it
Afaceinthematrix
I'm pretty sure that downloading roms is legal if, and only if, you own the original game.

But the best game ever made, in my opinion, is Super Mario World RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars!
Ranti84
Apparently on the Wii you can play old classics...but I think it's an online thing and I'm not ready to pay for something like that.

Plus I need a Wii

Anyways...

Battletoads was one of the best (if not most frustrating at times) games ever ^_^ as was Double Dragon 2

Bubble Bobble was a ton of fun as well >_>

So yeah I miss them Razz
Flakky
Afaceinthematrix is true about the legal issue. Emulators are always legal but people suspect you from doing illegal actions if they know you have any emulator on your computer.

I buy NES and SNES games so I can download them legally and play them on my computer since my NES and my SNES are both broke.
And on the computer, you can cheat with Gameshark and so on Laughing
Tuxy
Just saw that the beta of goldeneye:source has been released. It was my favourite game on the N64. You need HL2 to play this mod.

Link: http://halflife2.filefront.com/news/Goldeneye_Source_Beta_1_Released;31076
ColdFire
anybody here played Twin Bee? me likes it a lot & the background music was soooo cool!! Wink
nhlarry
I miss all the Mario games and Donkey Kong Country games. I use to play them for hours and hours.
xorcist
You can start playing all of those old game son the new Nintendo Wii with the Virtual Console you just buy some points cards and then you could buy old game slike that thye update so you can download those old games and play anytime you want.
falco211
Yes I miss old Nintendo games. I am currently looking for Battletoads Double Dragon for the SNES and I can't find it. The Nintendo Wii is great because I could just download all the old games I missed and wanted to play on it.
linkman2004
Old Nintendo games rock, and I miss them quite a bit.. Although, my brother owns an NES and SNES with some games, and anything I can't get there I can play on Console Classix. So, really, I miss them, but not as bad as some.

Tetris Attack FTW!
Notigam
i <3 Old nintendo games

You can play old nintendo games on a Wii on the virtual console.
Sneemaster
Super Mario World, Super Mario RPG and Star Fox were the best. And don't forget Donkey Kong Jr 2 and Super Mario Kart! The music in those games still beats music in games now. Most frustrating were the Star Wars games like Super Star Wars and Super Return of the Jedi. Battletoads and Super Street Fighter 2 were also great fun. I miss those.
xanarulz
I love the old games, I still have my super NES, I still find myself playing super mario, although everytime I play and come back my previous game was wiped and I have to start all over again Mad
The_Gamer294
Ahh.. the N64 days... Good times, Good times..
DSGamer3002
Even today in the world where graphics have become a very important part in video games, I miss the old 8-bit Nintendo games back in the day. Even though the Wii allows you to buy some of them, it's just not the same thing. I've downloaded a few virtual console games and reliving the experience is great; sometimes I have more fun playing the VC games than some of the games made for Wii. Shocked I wouldn't go downloading these games illegally just to re-play them, but I sure do miss a lot of old titles such as Mario Paint and Star Fox 64.
Serafina
Emulators are wonderful things.
Jayfarer
I don't miss them because they're everywhere. They are constantly being re-released, whether it's on the GBA, the Wii Virtual Console, the Xbox Live Arcade, in Collections, or as unlockables in other games.

THat's not even mentioning the sequels they put out, which usually copy the basic structure of the original and add more to it.
Yantaal
i dont miss them at all. i stil play them on my 64 and my Wii
Pikokola
wew... I don't have Wii / N64 T__T so emu is the only way
wormsunited
Play them on my wii. Very Happy
apexcaliber
The first Zelda is a classic, I could still play that game even now:D
RubySlasher
I don't really miss them... Because I play them all the time! (really, the NES did have some jewels, and then lots and lots of really crazy, uber hard, 90 levels that are all the same games.)
But what I miss more is the glory of the Genesis (since Sega is pretty much a deadbeat nowdays, milking off of the decaying Sonic and Phantasy Star franchises.)
apexcaliber
Genesis, what a great system:)
I loved the RPGs that came out for it back in the day.
RubySlasher
Genesis really was golden and shiny in its glory, and some of the best games, ever. They port all of their Sonic games repeatively, but they seem to lack on doing so on their fine classics such as NiGHTS.
Blu_Spykz
No, I don't miss them. I have an emulator and 1000+ roms featuring my favourite games from late 80s early 90s.

I only seem to play Super Star Wars / Smash TV and TazMania though :S
Geminh
I really miss the old days when you played games in 16 bit graphics, especially on the SNES. Those were the days, playing hour afer hour with classics like Super Mario World, Megaman X, Castlevania IV etc. These days I guess because I'm older, I tend to play games rarely, but back then, I'd sit infront of the TV all day long trying to finish games! It's funny because I havent finished some of the games that I owned. The most frustrating game was definately R-Type 4 (Can't remember the title) but I had so much trouble finishing it that I gave up. Sad

SNES FOR LIFE!
SMRPGlegends
ryukenden wrote:
I had fun when I was young playing Nintendo Games such as Contra, Super Mario Brothers, Tetris, Ninja Gaiden, Starwars etc...

I sometimes miss them and recently I found a website saying we could play by downloading ROMs and Emulators. But I think it is illegal.

Emulators are legal. But roms are the ones that are illegal but it's fine as long as you own the games or if the games are not being sold anymore in stores. I don't have a problem using emulators and roms. But I do use them to play the games that I missed. Smile
SMRPGlegends
I miss Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island. That was the best game for the SNES. I've been waiting for it to arrive on the Wii VC but Nintendo has some retarded excuse about the game being to hard to emulate. But that's okay because that's what emulators are for and I don't have a problem with it wether it's legal or not. Wink
Iceaxe0410
Sometimes I miss old games. I used to play my original famicom and nes all the time when I was a kid. I can still whip it out and play them, but it takes a bit of time to set up. I have to go through the whole blowing on the cartridge and adjusting it just perfectly so it reads the game right. Instead, I download a lot of the games on the wii console. I'm just disappointed that they are missing so many titles that I'd love to replay like Dragon Warrior, Secret of Evermore, Star Ocean, and others (basically all the great rpg games that I grew up with. They do have the final fantasy games on there, but I've played those to death. I want more of the lesser known rpgs on there.

It's odd that both my xbox360 and ps3 broke this year after having them since both of the launch days. I'm kind of stuck with playing the wii and older consoles. I can't afford to buy any new consoles. Kind of breaks my heart too since I'll probably miss out on Resident Evil 6 and other great games.
memno
epic Blaster Master sessions, late-night mapping of the last level in skate or die 2,
the butt-kicking Back to the Future gave me, the butt-kicking sweaty-palms Battletoads
gave me, the satisfaction of finally beating the Joker in Batman (crazy wall-jumping
platform insanity of the final level). I think back to those days, but don't miss the stress.
codersfriend
I also miss playing super mario and contra.. its sad I haven't used the konami code back then but I still managed to finish contra when I was young..
Very Happy
chartcentral
I remember I really had fun playing on the Nintendo Entertainment System games like: Contra, Super Mario Brothers, Twin Bee, Tetris, Battle City, Ice Climber, Double Dribble, Super Spike V'Ball, Ice Ice Hockey Challenge, Gradius, Circus Charlie, Arkanoid, and Jackie Chan's Action Kung Fu! And probably some other games which skips my mind right now. Smile
Albin970621
i miss the old nintendo to (i wass a nintendo fanboy before they made wii´s than i become a sony fan boy)

and i relly miss the old pokemon anime (i know its besides the point but its still nintendos stuff)
ZeytinGrafik
I enjoy most of the old games today. Nintendo games are even exceptional, you can not go wrong with them. Nintendo knows how to make a game for sure. In my "complete before you die" list there are many nintendo games.

Nintendo / Sega / Commodore 64 or Atari 2600 does not matter. Every old system has its gem. Those were the games that made the games what they are today. Most of them are more creative then the ones that you see today. (Check Ninja Golf on the Atari 7800).

Emulation of the old systems should be legal as the hardware and the software is not sold at the moment. No one will pass the new Metal Gear Solid game because they had played the old MSX version a week ago.
jamalaamir
well I do Miss them
Josso
Josso wrote:
I've never been quite sure about the emulation laws, odds are you aren't going to get in trouble for it either way.

I mostly played N64. Games like Goldeneye and Super Mario 64... those were the days

Revising this: as long as you own the actual game downloading the ROM is not illegal in any case. I *think* certain companies will let you download ROMs of a certain age for a limited time before they become illegal but it's quite a grey area.
appsapps
They say you can't miss what you never had, so no...I don't miss anything Nintendo.

However, I still do own the following:

A working Atari 7800 and a handful of games,
A working Atari compact 2600 and a TON of games,
A working Sega Genesis and a fair amount of games.

The thing I am missing, though, is a TV. Haven't had one of those in years, so I can't hook up any of those old consoles and play my old games.

Yeah, I kind of do miss them...and no, playing them on the PC with an emulator + ROMS isn't the same.
wombatrpgs
Yantaal wrote:

Yeah, I'm very glad Nintendo's been emhpasizing backwards compatibility. Though the most recent Wii versions lack gamecube support...
RosenCruz
The good thing is, emulators and ROMs are out there to grab and play what ever you want. With incredible save game features Laughing
wombatrpgs
RosenCruz wrote:
The good thing is, emulators and ROMs are out there to grab and play what ever you want. With incredible save game features Laughing

If by "save game features" you mean "cheating" haha.
LostOverThere
wombatrpgs wrote:
Yantaal wrote:

Yeah, I'm very glad Nintendo's been emhpasizing backwards compatibility. Though the most recent Wii versions lack gamecube support...

Yeah, that was a bit strange. Although, no doubt the Wii U will support backwards compatibility with the Wii, and presumably offer downloadable GameCube titles to boot.

Or at least, that's what Nintendo should do. Who can even guess with Nintendo these days!
Josso
appsapps wrote:
The thing I am missing, though, is a TV. Haven't had one of those in years, so I can't hook up any of those old consoles and play my old games.

Get a monitor/TV hybrid or just get a DVI > HDMI adapter and use a big TV as your monitor. Definitely the way forward especially for playing films.
wombatrpgs
LostOverThere wrote:
Or at least, that's what Nintendo should do. Who can even guess with Nintendo these days!

That's true, haha. They do seem to realize most of their gold's in classic games though.
Lishmares
I really miss my old SNES there were so many games that were great such as Mario RPG, Harvest moon, Zelda, Rock n roll racing, Mario Kart, Brandish and so many more lol
taytay
YES!!! I do! I wish They would release more of the N64 game as downloadable for the Wii. Maybe they'll add more for the WiiU. Eitherway, i still play my N64 from time to time, and Ninentdo would definitely get more money out of my if they offered more N64 games for the Wii, even though i already have them on N64. They're still fun! I bet a lot of people would get them too. I still play Pokemon even! I have the Gameboy emulator for my PC. See, if Nintendo even made an official one for PC, or a nintendo App for my iPhone, I'd buy that too!! there's a lot of potential in this market here than people aren't taking advantage of! Or Sega! i still haven't found an original Sonic game App. people would buy that too! Especially if they added new features so you could play co-op Sonic and Knuckles on two seperate phones.

I love my n64 though. Still BOSS at Goldeneye
darthrevan
I miss the original Mario Brothers/Duck Hunt for the Nintendo SNES, but I did get a chance to beat the original Mario when playing our Wii. Though my wife couldn't get past, maybe the 3rd level LOL.
Cosmoslayer
I miss some of those especially Faxanadu and the original Metal Gear. Very Happy
wombatrpgs
It's odd to say "misses" when emulators are so common nowadays.
Peterssidan
Emulators are not the same. You need the real gamepad to get the right feeling. Emulators on Wii works good though because the Wiimote is quite similar to the original NES gamepad.

To get good graphics you also need an old TV so the pixels get blurred.
darthrevan
Cosmoslayer wrote:
I miss some of those especially Faxanadu and the original Metal Gear. Very Happy

I still have the origional Metal Gear Solid for PS1. Of course, with my version of the PS3(origional) I can play it if I like Smile Hopefully you have noticed Metal Gear Rising and Metal Gear Grounds Zero.
Cosmoslayer
darthrevan wrote:
Cosmoslayer wrote:

I still have the origional Metal Gear Solid for PS1. Of course, with my version of the PS3(origional) I can play it if I like Smile Hopefully you have noticed Metal Gear Rising and Metal Gear Grounds Zero.

Metal Gear Solid is not the original. I'm talking about the one on the Nintendo system. That one is way, way too old.
taytay
wombatrpgs wrote:
It's odd to say "misses" when emulators are so common nowadays.

This is true. I even have the emulators. But the classic feel is pretty nice. It's kinda of like driving a classic car. You can get a Chevy SSR and have the power and a somewhat retro look, or get a legit classic car without power windows or power steering, no air bags or any jazz, and still enjoy it just as much. I've even got my original xbox controllers modded to plug into USB, So I can play games with them on my emulators. Currently working on Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow (although that's PS2.. Can't find where my PS2 went. In storage somewhere).

I'm curious if the wiiU will have some of the N64 games downloadable like the Wii did. I haven't gotten super mario 64 yet for the wii, but i'm going to get the wiiU soon and would definitely take a stab at it again if I could! Although My game shark made my lack of skill easier to cope with in super mario... I haven't played since I was 8-10 though so i could most likely Actually do it now if I tried.
wombatrpgs
taytay wrote:

I'm curious if the wiiU will have some of the N64 games downloadable like the Wii did. I haven't gotten super mario 64 yet for the wii, but i'm going to get the wiiU soon and would definitely take a stab at it again if I could! Although My game shark made my lack of skill easier to cope with in super mario... I haven't played since I was 8-10 though so i could most likely Actually do it now if I tried.

I wonder if they'd try to integrate the control scheme into the DL games? Or would they be forced to have a separate classic controller again, I guess?
ekonomska
Now when I have a new computer the old are not that interesting Smile
Radar
I think I miss many games from a decade ago or so that just don't work in modern environments. Not sure how much that's simple nostalgia.
subhan1
Yes specially all those cool games of Mario Brothers Sad
They have no gameplay graphics or whatever we need now - but they are the best games ever !
wombatrpgs
Radar wrote:
I think I miss many games from a decade ago or so that just don't work in modern environments. Not sure how much that's simple nostalgia.

Well, now modern machines are powerful enough to run VMs of the older systems.
taytay
i JUST found 007 The World Is Not Enough! I'm goin retro again! This was my favorite game!
twotrophy
A little bit. I really like some old Nintendo games such as Pokemon Red Rescue Team because of the sad storyline although the graphics aren't very good compared to today's standards. One thing I dislike about these games is that there is an ending to every game. It would be good if Nintendo developed a Pokemon game for mobile. But one thing that matters is cost. Selling a Pokemon game for $35 on the app store might be too expensive for people which might reduce profits while selling a Pokemon game for $5 would reduce profits as well.
ZeytinGrafik
I still play them on my phone, consoles and pc. They were very fun to play. I mostly prefer NES games over the others.
Peterssidan
ZeytinGrafik wrote:
I still play them on my phone, consoles and pc. They were very fun to play. I mostly prefer NES games over the others.

Is that because of the simple controls are more suitable for small devices like phones? When playing NES you only use 2 buttons and the D-pad.
wombatrpgs
taytay wrote:
i JUST found 007 The World Is Not Enough! I'm goin retro again! This was my favorite game!

Ahh, that game's a classic. I haven't heard of any Bond videogames of note recently though, seems the studio that made the most recent one laid off 75% of its staff after release.
ateawonton
for nintendo was such a spooky game, does anyone remember it? so creepy how the music was in the background.... and jason was way faster than in the movies
tictock
SMRPGlegends wrote:
ryukenden wrote:

Emulators are legal. But roms are the ones that are illegal but it's fine as long as you own the games or if the games are not being sold anymore in stores. I don't have a problem using emulators and roms. But I do use them to play the games that I missed. Smile

Well said.Who cares They are very old to be sold in store.
tictock
Serafina wrote:

That's true.They rock.
wombatrpgs
tictock wrote:
Serafina wrote:

That's true.They rock.

I don't know, there's a lot to be said for playing things on their original system, in their original form. But I doubt they'd still be played as widely today without emulators.
TBONE251
I really miss all of the sidescroll Metroid games. Good times, good times. I do love the Prime games and Other M, though. Smile
blueapplepiedude
I really miss super mario 64. It was awesome.
wombatrpgs
TBONE251 wrote:
I really miss all of the sidescroll Metroid games. Good times, good times. I do love the Prime games and Other M, though. Smile

Luckily sidescroller games are alive on the web, I guess. Not a lot of sidescrolling console games these days.
Iceaxe0410
If you mean do I miss 8-bit games being made, then I'd say yeah. Otherwise, I'd just whip out my nes, snes, or whatever console and play it. I get nostalgic sometimes. There are just some games that you get a craving for especially if you grew up playing them all day and night.

I think it would be great if they made more 8-bit games. There's something to be said for gameplay value over graphics. These days, graphics seem to be the primary driving force behind many new games and unfortunately many of them lack in story or replay value. What's the point in playing a video game if you aren't having any fun? or aren't being challenged enough? Those 8-bit games were the same way. There were crappy games and there were awesome games. Just thinking how they made such simple games so addictive with such a small amount of data is mind boggling.

You compare them to some new games now and they completely outclass them despite having only 8-bit graphics.
ZeytinGrafik
Just seeing this post makes me miss them Smile
MetalBlackTiger
I miss the old nintendo games recently one of my friends brought over his nes and we took turns playing ninja gaiden man was that fun.
wombatrpgs
Iceaxe0410 wrote:
If you mean do I miss 8-bit games being made, then I'd say yeah. Otherwise, I'd just whip out my nes, snes, or whatever console and play it. I get nostalgic sometimes. There are just some games that you get a craving for especially if you grew up playing them all day and night.

This seems to be true moreso nowawadays in the age of emulation.

Iceaxe0410 wrote:

I think it would be great if they made more 8-bit games. There's something to be said for gameplay value over graphics. These days, graphics seem to be the primary driving force behind many new games and unfortunately many of them lack in story or replay value. What's the point in playing a video game if you aren't having any fun? or aren't being challenged enough? Those 8-bit games were the same way. There were crappy games and there were awesome games. Just thinking how they made such simple games so addictive with such a small amount of data is mind boggling.

You check out the indie community, lots of strange 8bit things popping up there.
pravojednostavno
I miss Super Mario games.
grofet
i like old nintendo games. i think it's not fully illegal if you have the original copy of the game. if you like the game after try it, just buy the used cartridge or the cd of the game from the internet. If you have the original copy of the game i think it is ok to download the rom and play it on other system.
wombatrpgs
grofet wrote:
i like old nintendo games. i think it's not fully illegal if you have the original copy of the game. if you like the game after try it, just buy the used cartridge or the cd of the game from the internet. If you have the original copy of the game i think it is ok to download the rom and play it on other system.

"Fully illegal" doesn't sound very encouraging, but I've heard the same thing, as long as you can justify that your download is a backup or something.