You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

im looking into buying a new snowboard
what are some smaller companies that make quality boards?
i looked into burton and nitro already, but i really dont have the money to affor a nice brand name board
S3nd K3ys
You should get a Burton, even used would be better than a new (insert any other board I've ever used here) one that's not Burton.

yeeaa, if you can't afford a new one go with a better used burton board! But of course it depends on how good you are, maby you don't feel the different between a less expensive brand and a pro-board or if you like me, crashes a lot of boards, don't by a new one =)
All good suggestions, First board would be better if it was short and used. better to learn on and once you have ridden it for a while. you can buy a better board with all the rentals you save on each trip.

I have a Ride Yukon. It might be a little big. I got it 5 years ago, I was told to get a board that came up to chin or nose. but i think the length made it a little tougher to get started. but I've improved with it and will probably keep it.
I ski, but have never snowboarded.
Sizing a snowboard has been a mystery to me too.
I'm 6' and 200# with size 12 mens shoe size.
I have never gotten a good answers about snowboard sizes.

My skiing has gone from larger and larger lengths (like 210's)
when I was younger
now I prefer shorter and shorter skis
I even have 2 pairs of snowblades with releasable bindings.
I love shorties, they take no effort to turn at all.
But, they really suck, in powder.

In a snowboard
I think that I would like to try a real wide board so my toes won't drag in the snow.
And one not too long so I can control the speed better on just groomed runs, no powder, trees or racing.

I admit I don't know anything about boarding.
But, is my logic about finding a board for me screwded up?
What kind of measurements should I be looking at?
ie 12"wide and 52cm long?

I like snowboarding and I would like to buy a new Burton board. It are spectacular... are so flexible und resistent!
Going for a second hand burton for a first board is indeed a good idea. You get the benefit from having a decent board from a respected manufacturer and because it's used it doesn't matter when it gets bashed around a bit while you're learning.

Only thing you want to watch with second hand boards though is to make sure it's in decent condition (check it over thoroughly first) and check out the price for the equivalent board new so you don't get conned into paying too much.

Your best bet for the type of riding you're talking about is a board that comes somewhere between your chin and nose. I wouldn't suggest going any shorter than that unless you plan on being a park rat, which it doesn't sound like in your case. Going longer is definitely an option though, especially if you think you might ever ride powder. And I must say, after living in Whistler for a while, even skiers will tell you that snowboards are the tool of choice in the pow. For longer boards go to about the top of your head.

As far as width goes, a wider board is a good idea if you have big feet. But it's not the only option. Angling your bindings will reduce that amount of heel/toe drag you experience, and you can also purchase "gas pedals" which are small wedge-shaped pieces that sit under your toe to lift the boot clear of the ground.

Hope this helps! Give it a go sometime.
vervaeke, thanks for the input.
Yeah, I stay out of the parks
last time I went into a pipe it was like a 3/4 pipe
and I got slammed right back down before i knew what happened.
I even stay out of the bumps any more.

I do love Whistler.
I wish that little tow rope at the top went all the way up to that back glacier.
Seeing the witch's tooth is mesmerizing.
That bar near the lifts that has the large outdoor patio with heaters is great.
Whistler has the best ski village I've been too.
Definatly an adult Disney land.

That's interesting that you recommend staying away from short boards.
I've heard the same thing said about learning on regular skis.
But, I think snowblades are the easiest way to get the hang of two skis.
Maintaining good balance is more critical on shorties, but they turn easier.
Are snowboards the same way in that
the shorter they are, the more sensitive to balance they are and turn easier?
And, longer ones are more stable and take more effort to turn?

In bare feet to my chin is 61".
In bare feet to my nose is 65".

im looking for a new snowboard!! I love Burton so I think i would like to buy one!!
buy a burton board if you can, you can buy an older one from ebay!
Hey, sorry the delay in response. I haven't been on for a bit.

Strictly speaking, snowboards follow the same rule as skis. Longer boards are more steady but take more effort. Shorter boards can whip around quick but aren't nearly as stable. So if you had unlimited cash flow, buying (or renting) a short board for a while might help you learn quicker. But if you're buying a board to keep for a while, go longer. You won't regret it.
I'd have to actually say avoid Burton. Maybe used, but when I was buying a board, all the advice I got was against Burton. Basically, Burton has not increased in quality so they are over-priced, meaning you're paying for the name. I'm happy with my K2 Darkstar but I don't know what you were looking for. I would say look into companies like Rome. You might want to try for some better advice.