FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

No Child Left Behind

Hobbit
If you live in the US, you have probably heard this term before. Under the No Child Left Behind Act, your high school (if funded by federal government) is required to give your private information to the United States military. Luckily for you, you can OPT OUT. Just because you're poor, or don't have good grades, it doesn't mean the military should pressure you into joining. If you have good grades it doesn't mean you're safe either, but still make a difference and tell everybody about this.

Watch this mini documentary to find out more.

Moral of this topic, the US is using propaganda by sugar coating this act by calling it "No Child Left Behind", a term that looks very appealing to everyone nationwide. Little did you know that this was all a scheme to get more people to join the military.

Spread the word!
wumingsden
Hobbit wrote:
If you live in the US, you have probably heard this term before. Under the No Child Left Behind Act, your high school (if funded by federal government) is required to give your private information to the United States military. Luckily for you, you can OPT OUT. Just because you're poor, or don't have good grades, it doesn't mean the military should pressure you into joining. If you have good grades it doesn't mean you're safe either, but still make a difference and tell everybody about this.

Watch this mini documentary to find out more.

Moral of this topic, the US is using propaganda by sugar coating this act by calling it "No Child Left Behind", a term that looks very appealing to everyone nationwide. Little did you know that this was all a scheme to get more people to join the military.

Spread the word!

I didn't know that, I thought it was supposed to be a good thing. The first time i heard of it was through Pinks - Dear Mr. President ...

Quote:

Dear Mr. President
Were you a lonely boy
Are you a lonely boy
Are you a lonely boy
How can you say
No child is left behind
We're not dumb and we're not blind
They're all sitting in your cells
While you pave the road to hell

I thought that this meant that every child will be equal, and none will be left out. I guess if I were in the US I'd want to be left out Rolling Eyes
reddishblue
Wow, the US miliatery is really getting desprite, first a Video Game now Lies, jeez how low can they go?
If they would stop attacking every country that does not fall in line and just had an army to defend themselves, they would find that far more people would be willing to join.
SpellcasterDX
Wow, just wow. I didn't know that. I always thought it meant no child would be left behind. Just like it says. I thought it meant all children would be treated equally and all children would be given education, food, and shelter. Didn't know it was a lie to recruit soldiers for the military.
Dark_Tiger
No Child Left Behind at its face, gives more money to schools that have better preformance on standardized tests.

Now, for the sake of arguement, let's say that this WON'T lead to teachers spending time teaching students how to "work the system" on multiple choice exams.

If that is true, then it gives the most money to the schools that are ALREADY doing well, and therefore LEAST NEED HELP!

The military thing is really a non-issue though. IRS talks to the armed services*, so if you've ever filed taxes or been declared as a dependant, they know about you.

* Unlike the FBI, who last I heard**, don't get along with the IRS for reasons that were unclear.

** This was over 15 years ago, so this may have changed. Its still funny though.
Hobbit
Yeah this is ridiculous. I shall be passing the opt out forms at school and do an editorial on the subject at the same time.
Pyro Man
I would never go to war or join the army, I do love my country but when it comes to fighting, ****** my country.
eku53ru
I wish I knew about this earlier - the high school I went to wasn't exactly the greatest when it came to handing out the opt-out forms; as a result, a number of people were angered when they got a call from the military in my senior year. I heard that after that the opt-out forms were actually issued in the annual introductory packets, so that was a good thing.

I'm a bit bothered by the idea of the No Child Left Behind Act; my school was labeled as problematic (forgot the actual term used for it) due to significant differences between the normal and ESL/Special Ed. populations at school when it came to standardized testing. Because of that, I also received forms that stated I had the right to transfer to another high school due to the state of the one I was at. I thought they were a bit hilarious, though.
coolclay
You are legally required to sign up for the draft when you turn 18, it has absolutely nothing to do with the no child left behind act. The No child left behind act is a great thing, and is used to help boost schools that are behind catch up to other schools. So that all children get equal education. You freakin consiracy theorists make me crack up.
wumingsden
Hmmm, there seems to be a contrast of differences.

May I suggest you try and provide actual facts (i.e from another site), so I and many others can evaluate of opinion?
riv_
There are a lot of countries where a term of service with the military is mandatory.
While I'm thoroughly offended at underhanded tactics, and euphemised child-targetting campaigns, is it really the end of the world that people are approached - as long as they still have the option to say NO?
</pot-stirring>
wumingsden
Austria is another place where army service is mandatory. My sister's boyfriend is originally from Ghana but moved to Austria when he was 5. He was in Austria from 5-10, and then moved to the US. He's recently had to go back to Austria as they were calling him back to join the Army Shocked

He however fount a clause in the system so he doesn't have to know, thank god.
mstreet
Wow I had no idea that the US would do that. I do know how hardcore they are in recruiting though but nothing like this.
watersoul
It's not just the US doing this kind of thing (sorry if its a little off topic - although it is related), the UK government was recently complained about for the Army careers team only visiting schools from poorer areas:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/6199274.stm
...lets face it, without compulsory enlistment, very few western armies these days are filing the numbers they need to match the number of commitments they have, and they'll try anything they can.
It is a sly one though I think, targetting people who have little hope for anything else.
Sad
coolclay
I know since this is such a "horrible" thing we should just start the draft, and FORCE people to be in the military, thats sounds much better then a fully volunteer military, and much better then schools giving recruiters information.
Josephwweaver
i think thats a silly concept by a dufus president, LOL, no offense, because i worked for the school system and teachers or passing kids who cant even read. just because they cant fell them, and its the kids that are suffering for it.