FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

BMI

elincinerador
the recommended BMI (body mass index) for people is between 18.5 and 25. mine is of 19.4. which is yours?
to calculate the bmi:
weight (kilograms)
height (meters)²
Montressor
dang, mine is 18.4
and I was just at 18.6 the other day
Oh well, such is life...
benjmd
Mine is 23.4 ... it was 27.1 before I began exercising seriously and eating an appropriate diet.
Daisie
Math never been my forte...
How do you calculate that ?? Shocked
chick.peckin
I need to work out.

But I have a friend with a BMI of 36. He is fitter than anyone I have ever met. He could probably bench press your car. That is the failing of BMI- if you are a body builder it will call you fat!
pontus
Daisie wrote:
Math never been my forte...
How do you calculate that ?? Shocked

Your weight in KG divide by (your length in meters * your length in meter)= BMI
e.g.
80 (1,80 * 1,80)= 24,7
benjmd
He might be really strong, but doesn't necessarily mean he is healthy and free from the risks associated with a higher BMI (heart disease, diabetes, etc.). Since his BMI is bound to be at least a little misleading, he'd probably benefit from looking into body fat percentage and working on keeping that down.

chick.peckin wrote:
I need to work out.

But I have a friend with a BMI of 36. He is fitter than anyone I have ever met. He could probably bench press your car. That is the failing of BMI- if you are a body builder it will call you fat!
spazbutt32

T_T

But I'm trying to shed weight. Honest!
Chalchihuitlicue
I'm about 20.5 to 21. I haven't actually weighed myself in a couple years, but I'm thinner now than when I started college (last time I weighed myself was shortly before I left for college), so I just assume I weigh about the same. Embarassed
Daniel_78
Mine is 15.8 - it looks like very low but there is now reason to be worried about it. I've never got health problems and I'm nearly never ill.
ebkari
Mine is 20.4. I'm 18, 5'8, and 134.2 lbs! lol.

I used to be 25.4
poiko123
19.2, but I am quite muscular for my size. BMI is not an indicator of body fat! Some people think it is though. My body fat percentage is 7.2 so that is pretty low.
lyddi8
i just calculated mine & it's 20.83
haha... we used to have to do it each year for school-- they used to measure flexibility, fitness, body weight & bmi... wish i could remember what mine were back then to compare Confused
Azmo
ye I too got a very high BMI.. I'm on 28 or somethin.. still only got like 8% bodyfat tho.. work out alot.. so doesnt rly do the job for ya.. the real question should be "what's your bodyfat %"

U can easy check that if u go to your local gym, they usually got this thing u hold in, u put in your height and weight, and then it sends electricity trough your body.. checking how long it takes for the electricity to go from your first hand to your second.. the more fat, the longer time..
and u'll get a percent number up on the screen..

We did this.. I had 8% friend got 10% and the last one got "ERROR", he is natural "fatless" and work out alot.. eats like a horse but lose weight all the time.. I think our machine can check down to 2 percent or something, he is below that.. that's sick.. Smile
Daisie
I dont think I done it wright, mine came as 128 Shocked ( I hate math I do!)
I m 1.6 metre and 50 kg... let's say that I m good lol
Azmo
Daisie wrote:
I dont think I done it wright, mine came as 128 Shocked ( I hate math I do!)
I m 1.6 metre and 50 kg... let's say that I m good lol

You are 19.5 Smile

1.6x1.6 = 2.56

50 / 2.56 = 19.5 ....

Your BMI is 19.5, perfectly normal Smile
Daisie
Pewww!! thank you Laughing
Azmo
hehe np, no need to worrie there then Smile just keep living your life and feel good Smile
bcc32788
Thank you , I have never know.I think this knowledge can control me and everyone to lose weight or to be more healthier.
deStructuralized
The problem with BMI is that it doesn't tell you much about the type of mass on you. A short but muscle-bound male might have the same BMI is a short but fat male.

Still, I guess it's a useful tool for generic purposes.
studsstudio
mine is 21.4-21,7. funny that untill yet everyone is talking about fat. But muscles can be a problem to: they weight more than bodyfat..
Tatsumaru
Haha, mine is 25.5.

Good thing I now BMI is nonsense since it doesn't take muscle in account.
chastise

I want to burn off some fat and gain some muscle, though.
It's hard, being the lazy person I am. But being
vegan helps keep my weight down without much exercise.
iinteam
Mine is 17.9 but I haven't been taking real good care of myself lately, so I knew it would be kinda' low. I need to start eating better and exercising again.
loryl
Omg, forget exercising - that makes you lose weight. You need to eat eat eat!!
Ghost Rider103
Yeah, I do not follow BMI at all. It might be accurate for the average person that does not work out at all. But I workout, so for it saying my BMI be realy high and calling me fat is inaccurate. I have a lot more muscle on me than your average person, so I might weigh a lot more, but that is because muscle weighs more than fat.

So BMI is inaccurate.
Blueflame0831
I totally agree. I know people who swear by their BMI but everytime I tested mine I got discouraged, that is until I discovered that it does not account for increased muscle mass. I have a bulky figure and at 5' 9" and 170 pounds puts me at a BMI of 25.4. In all actuallity I have hardly any body fat at all so base yourself off of your BMI unless you absolutely consider yourself the average person.
HalfBloodPrince
20.2 here Smile

Here is a BMI calculator.
anmuthu
My BMI is 26.3, but I dont look hefty.

Im trying to reduce by going to gym. but I get discouraged as I dont reduce a bit. Is there a way to reduce it.
Afaceinthematrix

I'm not fat, though. I've lifted weights for years so I have a lot of muscle bulk. That's what I hate about the BMI calculator. If you lift weights, it makes you sound fat lol.
anmuthu
ya. its true. I have high bone density weight. So according to BMI I'm Obese.

Ah! Crap...
mackhenry
mine is 20.370370370370370370
risicakes
mine is about 19 too. i always like testing and hypothesizing if i was like an inch taller or a pound lighter. its just motivation for me. Wink
Bonesy
When i was sick mine was between 14 to 15. Now I am at 21? I feel terribly fat!
PennyLane
mine is 23.2 and I'm pretty happy about it. I feel healthy and eat healthy, that's most important to me
HamsterMan
About 30. I'm fat, but I'm also complettely healthy and kinda fit, and I have strong muscles (especially my legs, they're rock hard).

And bmi is still very unscientific.
gullip
22 main Razz
Keran
I exercise, do sports a lot and try to live a healthy live, e.g eat healthy food. And BMI is 21.3. I guess that's pretty ok.
rajupp
I am just overweight Sad
25.8 now Sad
I need to reduce atleast 4 kgs to look fit n fine Rolling Eyes
nanunath
elincinerador wrote:
the recommended BMI (body mass index) for people is between 18.5 and 25. mine is of 19.4. which is yours?
to calculate the bmi:
weight (kilograms)
height (meters)²

U mean (height²)??
Avedis
[quote="elincinerador"
I used to be around 26.4 but now I am at least 25.5 and I have been working out by running, hiking, pushups and situps like 30 each and I also try to get rid of the love handles. Since I do not eat meat or smoke or stay in bed and constantly not help with the grocieries or even help around the house for unless I need to rest. Any suggestions? I started to lose weight for the first time in 1-2 years and I don't look very fat at all and I eat less and I have a protien shake atleast once a day or more if necessary. Does it sound like I am quite somewhat healthy or I am over-reacting and pushing my self to the death? Confused
ZeytinGrafik
mine is now 25.4 which makes me a bit fat. I use Wii fit for the last year just to keep my and my families weight statistics. I went down from 28 to 25.4. Being aware of your weight daily helps a lot.
pravojednostavno
Mine is 21.7