FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

First snow of the season

Saber
Hey, well It just snowed here for the first time this winter, now I find that it came a bit late. Normally we get some snow before thanks giving.
I took a few quick shots of it when I woke up this morning from my window(dorm).

http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/1563/photo118nh8.jpg

http://img479.imageshack.us/img479/4376/photo117ks7.jpg

http://img479.imageshack.us/img479/7695/photo116fs3.jpg

I guess my question is, generally when is the first snow around where you live?

-saber
ncwdavid
It snows in ireland about once every five years and not alot of snow either. Where are you from?
thegregmann
it was supposed to snow today here but it didnt well it kinda but hey
Saber
Quote:
Where are you from?

well I guess that is a good question, I forgot to put that in.
I live in whitewater Wisconsin, USA

-saber
Keran
Awesome neighbourhood. You must throw one helluva parties in that cool shed ;]
In my country there was a lot of snow a month ago, now there won't be till christmas. I'm not sure if we will get snow in this year, it's kinda sunny mostly.
I live in Poland
[FuN]goku
aww! Sad lucky you! we always use to get snow early here in NS , Canada but these last few years it dont snow as much Sad meaning school dont get canceled as often Razz . But now usually when we get snow we get hit with it bad when we do lol. So far we've had 1 light flurry that lasted 1 hour. Funny thing 2 years ago i was running around in my yard on Christmas Eve in a beater and shorts.
arkebuzer
Hard to say.... it really differs a lot.

We had some snow here (in stockholm/sweden) like a month ago, but after just a few days it melted, and since then we have had no more snow :S
jharsika
It snowed about a week ago, then melted. Tonight it is freezing rain and there is slush crap everywhere. My dog actually almost fell off the deck sliding when he had his daily spaz attack!
Daniel15
Quote:
I guess my question is, generally when is the first snow around where you live?

Snow? In Melbourne? Definately not Razz
I don't think it's ever snowed here. It definately won't snow at the moment, it's summer now Wink
Inferno619
Yes, I believe that this is the first day that snow came, but I think that there was a snow day before that in my area. However, I got pretty much as much snow as you did from where I live. Laughing
Blaster
I hope we get snow soon here too. Really pretty isn't it. I love it when it snows. It looks so pretty outside.
Vidollo
Yeah, it was crazy here (St. Louis, MO). We hadn't had any snow yet this year, and then thursday (right after a 70 degree day on wednesday) it pelted freezing rain all day, and snowed during the night, so we woke up with about 3 inches of ice and a then covering of snow on top, nearly shut down the entire city for the morning. Of course, St. Louis is awful about dealing with snow, cause we get it so rarely.
alkady
Funny thing since it started snowing in Montreal yesterday, but then moved on to Hail and then rain. But today it started really snowing.

*sigh, looks like I'll be freezing my arse for the next 4 months since Canadian Winters are cold. It's going to be cold in December, January, February and then less cold in March and in April. I can't wait for Spring!
Soulfire
I live in south central Michigan, near the Indiana and Ohio borders. We were slated for a major snowstorm last Thursday night into Friday with up to a foot of snow possible.

We got rain. All rain - some slight icing in the northern part of the county (Branch County).

It flurried a few times in October, and it flurried a bit today, but we haven't gotten snow yet. Usually we get 1"+ in by mid-November, and typically there is a storm around Thanksgiving that drops 2-6", but we haven't seen that.

Still waiting...
xorcist
Where I live now it never Snows I live in Florida and during the Christmas while other people are cold and everything yo ucan go to the beach or go in your pool. But where I used to live you I get snow around the end of Thanksgiving or the begining of December through January or whatever I forgot its been a while.
Srs2388
we got out first snow of the season close to a week ago...
it wasn't hardly any though... =(
we get usually one good snow a year.
We do get a lot of ice though.
bdoneck
My first snow hasn't come yet. Sad I heard it's supposed to snow tonight but I haven't checked the forecast yet so I'm not too sure.

Usually we have gotten tons of snow by now. This time last year we had gotten 3 or 4 snow falls already. I remember the first snowfall on thanksgiving because I had an American football game that day and it was the most fun I've ever had playing football.
pll
Saber: It Snowed for the first time this year at december 1st! (Same date as you posted your message). So we are maybe in a near area...
tribe
Generally the first snow where I am depends on the winds off the Great Lakes... It has snowed w/o any accumulation all the way back around October 20th... but we still haven't had any accumulation here in NE OHIO.

GO YSU !!!
ESPN SATURDAY @ 4
Kaisonic
I live in Ohio, and while there hasn't been any accumulation yet, the first snow for this year was back in early November or maybe even October, which is common for every year. We usually have to get pretty lucky to get a really big snow. We generally get some good accumulation at some point, mostly around Christmas (w00t), but lately there hasn't been a big enough snow to close schools or anything.
leat397
I'm in Hong Kong and it would never snow Sad , of course if there is a sudden snow this city would be in sadness but not happy..
I have many great scene in my mind concerning snow....from movies, from photos....anyway I am so eager to have a white christimas in my life Very Happy
Arseniy
We in Ukraine had first snow on November 15th, but now it's very warm here (+10C!!!) so this New Year willn't be so snowfull:(((
Two or three years ago we had huge snow, it was very cold on New Year and especially (?) for my birthday - 11th January. It was from-25C to -35C. Our school lessons was flatten'd!
KernEnergie
You have lovely snow Smile
I haven't seen snow for ages
justin25514
here in te Netherlands it never snows hard or fast or 1 foot high.

2 years ago it was one time olmost 1.4 Meters high and thats the highest i know XD since i am born XD
Vrythramax
We just got our first snow this morning (Southeastern Massachusetts, US), but the sun came out after and it was all melted and gone by 1pm Smile
nilsmo
I wish it could snow here (Washington, DC area). If it did on a snow day, school would be canceled! Very Happy
sponge
So, when the snow fall in our country, it means

MIRACLE

We don't have any snow in our country. I wish I could experience it even for just 1 minute.

What's the feeling when theres snow in your place?
Vrythramax
sponge wrote:

MIRACLE

We don't have any snow in our country. I wish I could experience it even for just 1 minute.

not counting the coldness it's actually very nice, somehow the snow dampens sound and it's incredibly quiet, the snow falling has no sound, but it's very beautiful. Smile
The Shogun
Ignoring the dreaded freezing rain shite we had on Friday, the first nice snowfall was yesterday. Perfect snow. Slow-falling, small flakes that glisten.
Anticollie
Yeah, we here in Metro-Denver (CO) had a bit of a snow fall a few days ago, enough to delay schools (But not enough for a cancellation, sadly). It was nice, and we still have some left over. Although most of it is either gone, melting, or ice (by nightfall). Colorado has some really unpredicatble weather... we've had 2 inces of snow fall, and have had it gone by morning next!

Anticollie.
bartdou
where do you live?
monzoncf
Vrythramax wrote:
sponge wrote:

MIRACLE

not counting the coldness it's actually very nice, somehow the snow dampens sound and it's incredibly quiet, the snow falling has no sound, but it's very beautiful. Smile

Woah! That sounds good. I want to experience to be in snow. I hope. I want to build a snowman. This is one of my dream in life. "to build a snowman". Crying or Very sad Surprised
sponge
monzoncf wrote:
Vrythramax wrote:
sponge wrote:

MIRACLE

Woah! That sounds good. I want to experience to be in snow. I hope. I want to build a snowman. This is one of my dream in life. "to build a snowman". Crying or Very sad Surprised

Yeah. Now I'm jealous. I wish theres snow in our country.

bartdou wrote:
where do you live?

Well, I live in The Philippines, located at South East Asia and it's just above the equator along with singapore, malaysia and indonesia.
Crying or Very sad
Arseniy
Quote:
Well, I live in The Philippines, located at South East Asia and it's just above the equator along with singapore, malaysia and indonesia.

You poor...
We have such many snow right now like in your Philippines=)
Quote:
This is one of my dream in life. "to build a snowman".

Go to Russia and build such many snowmans as you dream! Very Happy
Vrythramax
@Arseniy

I married a woman from belarus, and she made me look stupid in the cold wheather, she would sun bathe in Januarary! I can only image how cold it is in Russia, 2 thirds of her country is covered in permafrost. BRRRRRRRRRRRR

Snowmen be damned, when the snow is that cold you can't make it stick to make a snowball let alone a snowman!!
jayrelle
I am so jealous of you guys because you experience snow in your place..Unlike here in the Philippines, we only got 2 season, rainy and sunny or summer.. Crying or Very sad
jongoldsz
congrats. I can't wait until it snows here, in NY. Its like 20-30 degrees Fahrenheit every morning and no snow.
Cephalic_Carnage
Snow is pretty insane. We have like 3 inches here. I went snowboarding over the weekend, it was pretty fun.
Arseniy
Quote:
I married a woman from belarus, and she made me look stupid in the cold wheather, she would sun bathe in Januarary! I can only image how cold it is in Russia, 2 thirds of her country is covered in permafrost. BRRRRRRRRRRRR

Snowmen be damned, when the snow is that cold you can't make it stick to make a snowball let alone a snowman!!

HA-HA-HA!!!
You're so afraid of snow... And for snowman you need only huge warm gloves...
In Russia it's now -10C,-15C in Moscow. My brother is living over there.
thinker013
I live up in Northern Minnesota. Our first snow this year was the day after Halloween. We got a couple inches and it was gone within a few day. We got it on and off for the first 2 weeks of November, then it warmed up to 50 around Thanksgiving, then a couple days after Thanksgiving it got cold again (a 60 degree temp change in one day) and have we have been getting snow for the last 3 or 4 days now. I love watching it snow. No matter what anyone says about how much they don't like snow, it's beautiful when it snows. The only thing I don't like about getting snow is everyone thinks you can drive the same on snow as without snow, which causes huge accidents.
Vrythramax
Arseniy wrote:
Quote:

HA-HA-HA!!!
You're so afraid of snow... And for snowman you need only huge warm gloves...
In Russia it's now -10C,-15C in Moscow. My brother is living over there.

I never said I was afraid of the cold, simply that I couldn't imagine how cold it was there, and she shamed me a bit with her tolerance of the cold....try reading the message and not make judgements.
Captain Fertile
I adore snow.

It is so quiet when it snows, everything and everyone seems a lot fresher and healthier.

There is NOTHING better, in my opinion, than looking out on a really heavy snowstorm when you are toasty and warm inside with nowhere to go and nothing to do but watch the snow – so cool, especially if it is around Christmas time.

Sadly we don’t get as much snow as I would like here in the UK and rarely around Christmas time. It always seems to be around January-February and it’s getting later because the last few years it has been more like February-March when the snow, if any arrives.

Still we live in hope.
Scott
The other day we just had a snow storm with thunder and lightening. It was really cool. THe lightening reflefted off all the snow and was incredibly bright.
Ghost Rider103
I am in california, and it usually comes around in early November, but we have had it in October a few times.

We havn't even had it this year yet, which is a good thing for me, because I ride dirtbikes, and I would rather it be warmer when I ride rather than it being like 13degrees outside.

But the snow does looks awesome, and is fun to mess around in, it isn't good for MX unless you do SnowCross which I do not like, nor do.
Vrythramax
I hate to get mushy, but the first snow is so romantic...you take your partner (male or female) out to an open area, do your best to keep them warm, hold them close, just talk and share....magic happens Smile
riv_
We usually get snow before the end of October.
This year (unlike my neighbour on the other end of the country) has been more wintery than usual. The snow is already up to the base of the windows, and we've had a spell of -20C.
I would hate to live in a place that never gets winter. It's so clear, and still and quiet and bright.
chrismen
It almost snowed here in Boston the other day. Snow is very late this year for us.
dstrawn
All we got in texas was Ice

The news got us all hyped up then no snow actually came down
Blaster
wow i didn't even know it got cold enough in texas to even get ice.

Anyhow we are suposely getting flories tonight and i'm so excited. I want the first snow of the season. Even if it is just some flories.
Droop
well out here in washington, it snowed and then it was gone like 2 days later, I even got to skip out on work do to the weather warnings Smile much fun that day I did have!! happy posting

-Droop
duckling
well it snowed last month just one time! Sad

it was very very very beautiful. I took some photos but it's in my analog camera Sad

i hope i can take the photo of next snow with my digital camera and i can put there Smile
TheMasterCheaif
It never does snow in Florida Sad .When i lived in Nc(North Carolina)I cant remember when it started since i've been here so long and in Nc it normaly turned to ice it wasent snow.
Vrythramax
chrismen wrote:
It almost snowed here in Boston the other day. Snow is very late this year for us.

Yes, the snows are late this year, we just had our first in New Beford.

I was born in Boston by the way...grew up in Charlestown and Watertown Smile
Captain Fertile
Vrythramax wrote:
I hate to get mushy, but the first snow is so romantic...you take your partner (male or female) out to an open area, do your best to keep them warm, hold them close, just talk and share....magic happens Smile

Nothing wrong with mushy - I proposed to my wife on the shores of Loch Ness just after a heavy snowstorm just after Christmas day about six years ago.

It was amazing. Time stood still and it really was like we were the only two people on earth. Just us and the sounds of the thick snow under our feet (well around our legs) and the Loch lapping on the banks.

A magical moment, a magical place and a magical time of year.
ThornsOfSorrow
We had our first snow in Connecticut this morning. It only consisted of flurries, but it still screwed up traffic pretty badly when I was trying to get to school on time. My tolerance of cold weather is pathetically low (especially since I don't own any warm clothes), but even I was happy to see some snow falling (until I got onto the highway at least).
kevin briggs
i am from bangor, county down,northern ireland and we only get on average one or two days a year when it snows.it only lasts for a couple of hours and never lies unless it has fallen thew the night and you might get an inch or two when you wake up in the morning.
i can not remember the last time roads where blocked due to snow fall,if it has even happened over here in the last 15 years.
on average we only get 40 nights a year when frost lies so it does not look good for much snow this christmas or any other in the near future.
may i take this oppurtunity to wish everyone a merry christmas and a happy new year Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Michael McNeil
Usually we get a storm mid November but this year it just passed us by. They were calling for a few flurries for a storm a few weeks ago but it ended up being 20 mm of rainthen 6" of snow on top of that. What an interesting drive into work that evening. A normal 20 minute drive was almost 1.5 hours!
hofodomo01
meh, i live in southern ohio (around cincinnati).

we usually get about 3-7 days of real snow a year...hasn't snowed yet...
Duncan Idaho
It's been snowing for some time in Michigan, and without remorse at that. If you don't wear a coat with a thickness equal to the inches of snow on the ground, you'll find your fingers laying in the snow and your blood would be too frozen to ooze out.
squirrelmaster
its really wierd because it's in the middle of april and it was snowing in oklahoma today, this is the latest it has been this cold, i just look forward to spring even though technically it started almost a month ago!, and since it is spring it is also one of the first snows of the season, but it's snowed once already so .....

weather confuses me sometimes Shocked
Seiji
It snowed a couple days here in Janurary and that was it. It rains almost every day here so I don't think anyone really looks forward to snow.

Thats strange how it is snowing in April. I watched a movie called "April Snow" and I thought that it would never snow in April.
squirrelmaster
at least it wasn't cold for long, 2days later it was 75 degrees outside. maybe global warming/cooling has something to do with it?,. either that or it was just a real cold front Rolling Eyes
Vrythramax
I think this topic has about run it's course.

-closed-