FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Help installing Fedora Core 6

hack_man_
I run 1 Linux desktop, 1 Mac (laptop that comes and goes) and 3 Windows desktops. I had a friend install Debian on the Linux system as the only OS but I didn't like it that much, I wanted Fedora Core. Now that the Debian computer's hard drive has gone bust, I want to install Fedora Core 6 on my Dell Dimension 3100 with Dual-boot for Windows XP SP2.

In simpler terms:

I want to install RedHat Fedora Core 6 on my Dell Dimension 3100 desktop that is currently running Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2. (long name eh?)

I want to have both operating systems installed to the Hard Drive with Dual Boot. I want an option at the start up asking what OS you want to use.

I don't want to create both OSes on the same partition, set up a virtual RAID array that includes the windows drives or get rid of the Windows data.

I would need a Windows specific tutorial from the web or v good instructions from one of you.

If you recommend installing it on a fresh drive, i agree. I want to keep them completely isolated. My HD is getting a bit cramped anyway. (75%)[/list]
ezekiel_rage
hack_man_
It is just the boot loader I am worried about, I don't want to mess that up.
Arno v. Lumig
If you want GRUB as bootloader you need to make sure that the fedora HD is the "master" and the windows hd is the "slave". GRUB needs to be installed on the master in order to be booted from, and it can't install on NTFS.

Greetz,
Arno
hack_man_
Ah, there is the first problem! I would like to get another drive, but I might not be able to. My XP is in NTFS, so I will need one if this is going to work. Swapping my master to slave might void my warranty too. I might not risk it, I have too much valuable information.