FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Fate of our Universe

Physicist
What do think about the fate of our univese?
Will it fail 2 overcome the gravity?
Will everything collide each other?
Who khows?
Bikerman
Physicist wrote:
What do think about the fate of our univese?
Will it fail 2 overcome the gravity?
Will everything collide each other?
Who khows?

Current cosmological theory states that the universe will continue to expand into infinity and will, therefore, ultimately undergo 'heat death'. This means that as the universe continues to get larger and the matter/energy within it becomes more and more spread out (entropy increases in other words) then ultimately the result will be a sea of cold dark matter/energy.

Chris
Physicist
What will u tell about bible and quran which suggest everything will be destroyed.?
i m not sure about bible.But I think i hav given correct info...
Bikerman
Physicist wrote:
What will u tell about bible and quran which suggest everything will be destroyed.?

Wrong forum for this...post this sort of thing in religion and philosophy
Josso
Who knows, I mean supposedly if there is a "greater truth" some one could accidently crash The Universe server.

Quote:

Don't mix religion with science... ever.

Laughing
Bikerman
Josso wrote:
Who knows, I mean supposedly if there is a "greater truth" some one could accidently crash The Universe server.
Laughing

Nope - the universe server cannot be deliberately crashed because it runs windows 98 which means it crashes in a random indeterminate manner. As I keep repeating, there is no plan and no 'goal' to existence in this particular Universe. It runs on an outdated and bug-ridden operating system which means the best we can aim for is to get a bit of work done before the blue screen of death shows up.

Chris.
Montressor
Bikerman wrote:
Physicist wrote:

I don't know, perhaps one could look at the heat death of the universe as a fulfillment of the apocalyptic teachings mentioned, after all what is more "destroyed" than universally and uniformly distributed energy/matter? After all once that is "accomplished" there is nothing left to destroy...
Not to bash on your atheism, but the end of the universe is an important aspect of every belief system, whether theistic or not.
Bikerman
Montressor wrote:
Bikerman wrote:
Physicist wrote:

I don't know, perhaps one could look at the heat death of the universe as a fulfillment of the apocalyptic teachings mentioned, after all what is more "destroyed" than universally and uniformly distributed energy/matter? After all once that is "accomplished" there is nothing left to destroy...
Not to bash on your atheism, but the end of the universe is an important aspect of every belief system, whether theistic or not.

Therefore the best place to discuss it is in the forum for the discussion of belief systems which would be philosophy and religion. This would be the place to discuss the science concerned rather than the philosophical implications..
Chris
Montressor
Bikerman wrote:
Therefore the best place to discuss it is in the forum for the discussion of belief systems which would be philosophy and religion. This would be the place to discuss the science concerned rather than the philosophical implications..
Chris

Ah, so you can discuss the implications of a belief system on science in the philosophy forum, but can never discuss the implications of science on a belief system in the science forum...
Makes sense, in a nonsensical way. Perhaps we should discuss this all in the "Science and Religion and Philosophy and how they interact and relate" forum. Or perhaps upon joining FriHost a new member should be asked if they are an atheist or a deist, and then forced to confine their posts to the science forum (if they responded atheist) or the religion forum (if they responded deist). Doing this would help keep the peace a FriHost by keeping deists from accidentally wandering into the science forum and asking what science has to say about their religion, and would keep the atheist from accidentally ending up in the religion forum and bashing on belief systems. Separate, but in equal bliss. Just some thoughts...
Shin
If the universe is expanding which is from the day Big Bang happened. I think it will one day reaches it's maximum. and starts to shrink again. when it then shrink to a minimum, the Big Bang will once again occurs. And "everything" will starts again from the beginning.

the beginning is the end is the beginning... Smile
Bikerman
Montressor wrote:
Bikerman wrote:
Chris

Ah, so you can discuss the implications of a belief system on science in the philosophy forum, but can never discuss the implications of science on a belief system in the science forum...

Ermmm....that is correct and logical yes. Implications of science on a belief system would be philosophy in my opinion..
Quote:

Makes sense, in a nonsensical way. Perhaps we should discuss this all in the "Science and Religion and Philosophy and how they interact and relate" forum. Or perhaps upon joining FriHost a new member should be asked if they are an atheist or a deist, and then forced to confine their posts to the science forum (if they responded atheist) or the religion forum (if they responded deist). Doing this would help keep the peace a FriHost by keeping deists from accidentally wandering into the science forum and asking what science has to say about their religion, and would keep the atheist from accidentally ending up in the religion forum and bashing on belief systems. Separate, but in equal bliss. Just some thoughts...

That is reducing it to a silly level. Nobody was being silly about the demarcation, it's just that Physicist was obviously wanting to talk about the bible/quran which it seems perfectly reasonable to suggest should be debated in philosophy/religion. Nobody is forced to confine their posts and nor should they be...just a bit of common sense makes it better for everyone since people will naturally look in the forum which seems most appropriate and posting in the wrong forum means that contributors might miss the posting...

Regards
Chris
Bikerman
Shin wrote:
If the universe is expanding which is from the day Big Bang happened. I think it will one day reaches it's maximum. and starts to shrink again. when it then shrink to a minimum, the Big Bang will once again occurs. And "everything" will starts again from the beginning.

That would be the case if the mass of the universe were such that Gravity could pull it all back together. The current estimate for the mass of the Universe is 3x10e55 grams which is not enough for a 'big crunch' and will, it is thought, mean that expansion is infinite...

Chris
einstein
Bikerman wrote:
Shin wrote:

That would be the case if the mass of the universe were such that Gravity could pull it all back together. The current estimate for the mass of the Universe is 3x10e55 grams which is not enough for a 'big crunch' and will, it is thought, mean that expansion is infinite...

Chris

infinite??? that's not something which has been measured, and therefore, cannot be proved!!!
i guess that the mass of the universe may increase with the formation of more dark matter and dark energy, and at some point of time, it may lead to the 'big crunch'.
Bikerman
einstein wrote:

infinite??? that's not something which has been measured, and therefore, cannot be proved!!!
i guess that the mass of the universe may increase with the formation of more dark matter and dark energy, and at some point of time, it may lead to the 'big crunch'.

If expansion overcomes gravity then infinite expansion is a logical progression. The mass of the universe is already calculated on the basis of dark matter and dark energy would have the opposite effect (ie more would mean less chance of a big crunch since dark energy is analogous to anti-gravity).

Regards
Chris
Magdreamer
we'd just all die, thats all. Why care, we'd be dead before anything happens.
einstein
Magdreamer wrote:
we'd just all die, thats all. Why care, we'd be dead before anything happens.

honestly man, you don't belong in the scientific world.........infact you are ignorant!!! please don't be angry on me saying this, but i said what i felt.........hope to see you posting better answers in future!!! Very Happy
LostOverThere
Fate of our Earth is when the sun explodes in a few billion years.

I believe the universe will continue to expand, and then start going the other way.

But where does space end? What is after Space?
einstein
LostOverThere wrote:
Fate of our Earth is when the sun explodes in a few billion years.

I believe the universe will continue to expand, and then start going the other way.

But where does space end? What is after Space?

5 billion years, to be precise. Very Happy

yes, the universe will continue to expand, and a 'big crunch' MIGHT occur if the mass of the universe increase by many more times than it is now!!!!

What is after space??? well, that we are yet to discover but a lot of hypotheses are being formulated right now........... Wink
Bikerman
Actually the Sun will NOT explode. There is insufficient mass in the sun for this to happen. What will happen is that in around 5 billion years the sun's core will have exhausted the hydrogen which it currently 'burns'.
At this point the core will contract and the hydrogen left in the outer layers will continue to burn causing expansion into a Red Giant (this will probably be large enough to envelop the earth). When the core has contacted to a certain size it will then begin a different type of nuclear reaction which will 'burn' helium to form carbon. This will continue until the helium is exhausted at which point the core will have contracted into a White Dwarf (about the size of the Earth) and the outer layers will drift off into space forming a nebula.

Regards
Chris
Jinx
Ok, so, hypothetically speaking, if there were a boundary to the universe, if it wasn't infinite, what would happen then? Would the mass of the universe pile up at the outer reaches, or would it reach an equilibrium short of full heat death? or would it bounce off the 'boundary' and begin moving back inward?

Which reminds me, I've always wondered how we came to the theory of an infinite universe, infinity being such a foriegn concept to the way our minds work.
peaceninja
i think the universe has no end, maybe the earth will end. this is what i at least use for a meditation technique, it makes my mind dizzy the more i explore this thought Smile
Bikerman
Jinx wrote:
Ok, so, hypothetically speaking, if there were a boundary to the universe, if it wasn't infinite, what would happen then? Would the mass of the universe pile up at the outer reaches, or would it reach an equilibrium short of full heat death? or would it bounce off the 'boundary' and begin moving back inward?

OK...try to imagine it this way, it may help.
Think of the universe as a sphere. Now, imagine that the skin of the sphere (a balloon if you like) is the 3 dimensional space we see. The radius of the sphere represents time. So the planets, stars and galaxies could be drawn onto the skin of the balloon, to represent the universe. Now imagine the balloon being blown up. As time goes on the radius of the balloon increases (representing the time passing). What happens to the galaxies on the skin of the balloon ? They all move apart from each other, don't they ?

What is actually happening is that the space between the galaxies (represented by the skin of the balloon) is stretching. This is exactly what is happening in the real universe. It is not that the galaxies are flying apart from each other as many people imagine, rather it is the space between the galaxies which is stretching. We call this 'expansion'.

Strictly speaking science cannot say what (if anything) lies beyond the universe. A reasonable assumption would be nothing. By nothing I don't mean empty space - that is something. Nothing is no space, no time, no dimensions.....very hard to imagine. So as the universe expands into this nothing it fills the nothing with spacetime (space and time).

Regards
Chris
Bikerman
peaceninja wrote:
i think the universe has no end, maybe the earth will end. this is what i at least use for a meditation technique, it makes my mind dizzy the more i explore this thought Smile

The Earth will certainly end - there is no real doubt about it. It will happen (if nothing unforseen happens beforehand) when the Sun has burned all it's fuel (hydrogen) and becomes a Red Giant. The sun will, at this point, expand and envelop the Earth, burning it to a crisp. The oceans will all evaporate and the surface will be charred by the heat. Once the sun has eventually shrunk back into a White Dwarf, the earth will be left as a burned-out clinker with no life and no water.
Eventually, of course, all the stars will burn their fuel and also come to an end. The bigger stars go with a bang (called a Nova or, in the case of the biggest stars, a SuperNova). The very biggest stars then collapse into Black Holes.

Regards
Chris
kirancnair
Just like there are other planets...stars ...galaxies around us..whats the possibility that there exists other universes each at a different stage of its life cycle.

When one universe is dying, another is just being created with a big bang.